Belarus / Poland border

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Belarus / Poland border

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:59 pm

This seems like a difficult situation for pre-set political opinions of all stripes.

Right-wing people --- who sometimes downplay the malign influence of Putin and hate the EU above all else --- seem to have been enjoying the chaos until GB News reported that one of the migrants had said that half of them are heading not for Germany but for the UK, at which point it was #IStandWithPoland.

On the other hand, many decent people, while appalled at what Lukashenko is doing, seem to think that Poland has to hold the line. Indeed, the EU that most of us here would rather be in than out of seems to be putting a lot of resources into keeping the migrants out. Maybe this shows the limits of European "goodness", but what do you do when someone who doesn't like you has the capacity to bring half a million people to your border over the space of a few months?

I really don't know quite what to think, other than that Lukashenko belongs in a courtroom in The Hague, and then a small but moderately comfortable Dutch prison cell for the rest of his miserable life.
Something something hammer something something nail

sheldrake
After Pie

Re: Belarus / Poland border

Post by sheldrake » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:03 pm

Do any of them have HGV licences? just asking for a friend.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:41 am

Well, if Poland and Germany have issues with the number of lorry drivers (as I'm pretty sure I remember you saying), Britain might not get a look-in.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:24 am

Martin_B wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:41 am
Well, if Poland and Germany have issues with the number of lorry drivers (as I'm pretty sure I remember you saying), Britain might not get a look-in.
Germany has changed Martin, I dont think even they will subject immigrants trying to get to the UK to forced labour.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:14 am

forced labour? wtf is happening with your internal monologue?

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:02 am

plodder wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:14 am
forced labour? wtf is happening with your internal monologue?
You don't read tone well.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:23 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:24 am
Martin_B wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:41 am
Germany has changed Martin, I dont think even they will subject immigrants trying to get to the UK to forced labour.
They may however offer better salaries etc
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole