Post by Opti » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:42 am

tom p wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:29 am
jimbob wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:42 am
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-06-21/gov ... bosses-pay

This should keep the Red Wall happy
Those racist pricks will still blame immygrunts and darkies for it
I caught up with Question Time on the beeb over the weekend. From Newcastle. Your analysis is spot on.
Time for a big fat one.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Re: Benefits of Brexit for Britain

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:16 pm

Not sure where to stick this one, here, or just start a new topic on government twattery...

Rees-Mogg, depending on how you look at it, decides he's going to attempt a re-enactment of a Yes Prime Minister scene, or is just going full on with the "don't you know who I am?" super-patronising, I'm more important than you, attitude.

Basically, he's taken to refusing to wear/show his Parliamentary pass, which the rules state must be worn at all times on the premises.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:16 pm
Not sure where to stick this one, here, or just start a new topic on government twattery...

Rees-Mogg, depending on how you look at it, decides he's going to attempt a re-enactment of a Yes Prime Minister scene, or is just going full on with the "don't you know who I am?" super-patronising, I'm more important than you, attitude.

Basically, he's taken to refusing to wear/show his Parliamentary pass, which the rules state must be worn at all times on the premises.
Because things like fire safety are problems for other people.

He's not "eccentric" - he's cultivating an image of a Britain that never existed. I despise him more than Johnson.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:23 pm

jimbob wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:16 pm

Because things like fire safety are problems for other people.

He's not "eccentric" - he's cultivating an image of a Britain that never existed. I despise him more than Johnson.
Of course the solution for the security staff is very straightforward. They should simply refuse him access without the correct ID and then dare their line managers to make an issue of them just doing their job.

Teach the odious c.nt some long overdue humility.

Otherwise who’s for rocking up en masse dressed as Greased Smug and seeing if we can get in? 8-)

You’d think Eton would be livid; between Johnson, Cameron and JRM they aren’t painting a particularly good picture of the calibre of the young men they turn out for £50k per year.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:44 pm

Little waster wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:23 pm
Otherwise who’s for rocking up en masse dressed as Greased Smug and seeing if we can get in? 8-)
Superb idea

Rees Mogg is of course the person who took it on himself to go round civil service offices checking up on who was and wasn’t present.
You’d think Eton would be livid; between Johnson, Cameron and JRM they aren’t painting a particularly good picture of the calibre of the young men they turn out for £50k per year.
Another idea - buy up search engine advertising for the keyword ‘Eton’ and place links to neat summaries of the ethics, morals and successes of these distinguished alumni.

No idea how much that would cost but maybe one for Led By Donkeys…
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm

nekomatic wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:44 pm

Rees Mogg is of course the person who took it on himself to go round civil service offices checking up on who was and wasn’t present.
If I'm reading the story correctly the suggestion now is his arrogant, I'm-above-the-rules stance is more than just an obnoxious entitled c.nt playing petty silly bugger power games over some poor security pleb but cover for something more venal.

The original FOC request was to verify an allegation was that Mr Work-In-the-Office was lying about his attendance record, or worse still fraudulently faking his expenses. His attendance would usually have been verified by swiping his Parliamentary pass, hence the this very public display to establish he's not the sort of person to go round doing anything as normal or sensible as using his pass to check-in.

Which all gives him a ready excuse when the check-in records demonstrate his official attendance is actually very poor. Either way he comes across as an odious tw.t, whether he is actually corrupt or not.

Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it. :?

This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:07 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm
nekomatic wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:44 pm

If I'm reading the story correctly the suggestion now is his arrogant, I'm-above-the-rules stance is more than just an obnoxious entitled c.nt playing petty silly bugger power games over some poor security pleb but cover for something more venal.

The original FOC request was to verify an allegation was that Mr Work-In-the-Office was lying about his attendance record, or worse still fraudulently faking his expenses. His attendance would usually have been verified by swiping his Parliamentary pass, hence the this very public display to establish he's not the sort of person to go round doing anything as normal or sensible as using his pass to check-in.

Which all gives him a ready excuse when the check-in records demonstrate his official attendance is actually very poor. Either way he comes across as an odious tw.t, whether he is actually corrupt or not.

Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it. :?

As scummy as he is; I'll bet his attendance actually is pretty good. I think he's the sort of chap who is very keen to attend parliament because he sees it as the very best gentleman's club, with the subsidised food and drink being an added benefit.
Also, being in parliament means he doesn't have to be in his constituency & thus seeing his wife and the children young enough not to yet be at boarding school.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:52 pm

Little waster wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:23 pm
Perfect advertisement. For a mere £50k pa even your least able offspring can use our gilded ticket to reach high public office.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:53 pm

Screenshot_20220630-194946-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20220630-194946-01.jpeg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:04 pm

TBF given the rising cost of cooking oil it might become economically viable to site chippies in freeports.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:00 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:53 pm
Before people take the mick, remember Peter Mandelson once though mushy peas where guacamole

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:02 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:00 pm
shpalman wrote:
Before people take the mick, remember Peter Mandelson once though mushy peas where guacamole
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/re ... 12777.html
A couple of weeks ago, I met a bloke who claimed to be responsible for the famous Peter Mandelson guacamole slur: that while campaigning to be elected MP for Hartlepool, Tony Blair’s favourite spin-doctor had apparently mistaken mushy peas for what was, back then, an exotic avocado dip.

My new acquaintance explained to me how he had “accidentally” leaked the story to the local press – despite it being broadly made up – and had been amazed at the speed with which the story had taken hold. The king of spin had been well and truly spun.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:04 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
shpalman wrote:
Though I don't have much time for Mandelson, that story's said to be made up: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/m ... mandy.html

Edit: ninja'd by jimbob

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:13 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:04 pm
Trinucleus wrote:
shpalman wrote:
Though I don't have much time for Mandelson, that story's said to be made up: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/m ... mandy.html

Fair do's.

Let RIP on JRM then

I hope they were using a decent olive oil in the fryer. And champagne rather than beer in the batter. And the scallops were real ( as a youth I was dissapointed after ordering a scallop at a chippie...)

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:14 pm

Last edited by Trinucleus on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:15 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:14 pm
Trinucleus wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:13 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:04 pm

Fair do's.

Let RIP on JRM then

I hope they were using a decent olive oil in the fryer. And champagne rather than beer in the batter. And the scallops were real ( as a youth I was dissapointed after ordering a scallop at a chippie...)

Do you think he shouted 'service please' as he completed each order?

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:30 pm

headshot wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:48 pm
From that article:

"Instead of 1,000 grams representing one kilogram as under the metric system, the Imperial system says there are 14 pounds in a stone, 16 pounds in an ounce, then 256 drachms to the pound."

Umm. WHAT?
I thought a 1/16th of an ounce was called a ‘teenth. Will be sure to use drachm from now on.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:30 pm

I used to joke that the only benefit of Brexit for me is that we would still be able to change the clocks twice a year.

Because it seemed that clock changing was coming to an end in the EU. The EU Commission was instructed by the Parliament to investigate clock change rules, and make a proposal if that seemed desirable. They conducted opinion research across the EU - who liked it, who didnt like it, what were the practical effects - and on balance for the EU as a whole, it seemed that on most counts clock changing is not a good thing and has relatively little public support, regardless of my personal opinion living at 51 degrees North. So the legal instrument put forward said that each country would choose its zone. And the final clock change, to put each country in its chosen zone, if necessary was still necessary in specific countries given the choice they had made, would occur at the end of October 2021.

But it seems clocks are still changing in the EU. So what happened, or more accurately, didn't happen?

Apparently the decision was never made final. The Council of the EU (often known as the Council of Ministers) had to sign it into law for that to happen. Seemingly expected to be a mere rubber stamp - hence the specific dates in the instrument - they just sat on it. And now the dates are past. The implication seems to be that there is some blocking coalition preventing it. The Council requires certain levels of unanimity to proceed. Who they are and why they are doing it is not clear, as far as I am aware.

So that is - for me - the main anticipated Benefit of Brexit, one that seemed really clear and firm - albeit hardly justifying all the disadvantages - that in practice has not come to pass.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:50 pm

Another firm victory for Big Clock.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:51 pm

There's a serious disadvantage, in that the US* and UK do change clocks, so that the usual offsets don't work half the year and you have to deal with changing time differences. If you do transatlantic business, you have to rearrange your calendar twice a year if you don't change

I do most of my business with Hawaii, and it's a pain in the arse that my multiple weekly meetings that are in HST change time twice a year.

* Not valid in Hawaii and Arizona, attempts to get rid of standard time passed the Senate, but not the House.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:48 am

headshot wrote:
From that article:

"Instead of 1,000 grams representing one kilogram as under the metric system, the Imperial system says there are 14 pounds in a stone, 16 pounds in an ounce, then 256 drachms to the pound."

Umm. WHAT?
That's ridiculous. Ounces weigh much more than sixteen pounds.

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:12 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:48 am
headshot wrote:
From that article:

Umm. WHAT?

I encountered that usage of "ounce", just a couple of days ago, in an old episode of "Only Connect". Can you have been watching the same series?
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:22 pm

basementer wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:12 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:48 am
headshot wrote:
From that article:

Umm. WHAT?

I encountered that usage of "ounce", just a couple of days ago, in an old episode of "Only Connect". Can you have been watching the same series?
I haven't, I just like the word, and the beast it describes.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:55 pm

Very strange, the way the tail grows from its mouth.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three