Construction industry urgently needs temporary workers from the EU

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Construction industry urgently needs temporary workers from the EU

Post by shpalman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:52 pm

‘I’m fully booked, but can’t take on jobs’
Around the time of the EU referendum, Przetakowski felt less at home in Britain. “You could feel the tension. There were places, some pubs, clubs, restaurants, where you could feel you were not welcome. And Nigel Farage on the TV.” His brother, the carpenter in the business, left. “He said he didn’t want to live here any more.” A few other friends and employees – plasterers, plumbers, decorators – went back. “The Polish economy at the time was doing quite well, there was a big demand for construction.”

Przetakowski was settled here, with his family and his business, so he stayed. But the exodus meant it was harder to find workers, both skilled and unskilled. And then Covid swung in like a big wrecking ball, sending more EU workers flying home...

Przetakowski has had to reduce his own workforce. “And raise the wages of the people who stayed in order to reward them in some way and stop them from leaving.”
If it had said "... and raise the wages so that British people would do those jobs instead" I'd have posted in Brexit Benefits, but that's not what it says, so I won't.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Construction industry urgently needs temporary workers from the EU

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:50 pm

If wages do rise, though, construction might become a more attractive destination for British school-leavers - even if they end up apprenticed to Poles.

There will be short-term disruption, but could have longer-term positives.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Construction industry urgently needs temporary workers from the EU

Post by dyqik » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:50 pm
If wages do rise, though, construction might become a more attractive destination for British school-leavers - even if they end up apprenticed to Poles.

There will be short-term disruption, but could have longer-term positives.
A more likely plan from this government is to adopt the Saudi Arabian approach to construction workers.