hakwright
Buzzberry

Re: 2020 No. 10 Christmas Party!

Post by hakwright » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:38 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:36 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:38 am
Yesterday, in response to Labour's urgent question, Paul Scully kept calling it a "gathering", not a party.

He was challenged about this today on LBC, and apparently it wasn't a party because a party must have balloons and there were no balloons:
Look, ‘party’ suggests, and you see some of the graphics that go around with some of the coverage here, with balloons and poppers and these kind of things. It suggests that there’s big invitations going out and lots of people coming in from elsewhere and those kind of things, so I think it’s right to be proportionate until we know the detail.
Does he not realise that a "gathering" is exactly what the regulations made illegal?
This is one of the things that really p*sses me off. So many soundbites and news headlines about whether it was a "party" or not. That's irrelevant, and I wish there were some journalists who would just cut to chase on this. At the time tier 3 restrictions were in place, social gatherings of people indoors (outside of support bubbles) were not permitted. You couldn't even meet more than 6 people outdoors FFS. So stop agonising over what word to call it - was it a social gathering of people beyond support bubbles? (Hint: yes).

Are they really going to try and argue it was just "people at work" who happened to stay beyond midnight, drinking alcohol, giving secret Santa presents, eating nibbles and playing games? This shouldn't be hard to figure out, but journalists and commentators should focus on the very simple fundamentals - were the tier 3 restrictions broken or not?

And as for the police "not investigating potential covid breaches retrospectively". WTAF? Assuming they don't have a time machine to allow them to investigate future covid breaches, are they really saying they don't investigate covid breaches at all? People have already been investigated and prosecuted for private parties etc. So this is presumably just a word-salad smokescreen to try and put people off the scent. But it should be journalists who ask the very simple and direct questions on this stuff. It's not hard.

And lastly, the "we don't have any evidence" to investigate. Aside from CCTV cameras, I presume that people coming in and out of No 10 are recorded or logged in one form or another. It really can't be hard to figure out who was in the building at the time. Are the police saying they don't *want* to investigate and they don't *want* to collect evidence?

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:00 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:38 am
Yesterday, in response to Labour's urgent question, Paul Scully kept calling it a "gathering", not a party.

He was challenged about this today on LBC, and apparently it wasn't a party because a party must have balloons and there were no balloons:
Look, ‘party’ suggests, and you see some of the graphics that go around with some of the coverage here, with balloons and poppers and these kind of things. It suggests that there’s big invitations going out and lots of people coming in from elsewhere and those kind of things, so I think it’s right to be proportionate until we know the detail.
Poppers? What kind of parties is he going to?

wilsontown
Clardic Fug

Post by wilsontown » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:15 pm

jdc wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:17 pm
Self-justification and cynicism. Two things we're really good at, unfortunately...

If Johnson was the worst PM in our history then they'd have been stupid to have voted for him. They know they're not stupid, so Johnson can't be all that bad.

Anyway, Starmer or Corbyn probably would have been just as bad and Labour probably had a load of Xmas parties too. Politicians are all the same, aren't they.
To quote someone else on here (can't remember who it was) "something something something Diane Abbott". That was pretty much literally the response I got from one of the regulars in my local.
"All models are wrong but some are useful" - George Box

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:51 pm

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:42 pm

tom p wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:21 pm
Last christmas, my wife's dad was in the final stages of a relapse of his colon cancer. It had metastasised throughout his body and he was going to die, painfully and slowly over the course of the next couple of months or so. That prognosis came to pass and he died in February. We didn’t come back to the UK to visit him because we were following the COVID rules & my wife didn’t get to say goodbye to her dad, nor did my daughters get to say goodbye to their grandad.

My mum had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s around the start of last year. Last Christmas would have been about my last chance to speak to her, and not the half-dead husk she is now, who only occasionally flickers with the dimmest smidgeon of recognition. She couldn’t really cope with the telephone or skype back then, even with people helping, but she could manage small face-to-face chats. But I didn’t go home and talk to her, because I was obeying the rules. When I finally got to see her, she had no speech, and clawed at my watch and wedding ring like some character out of a bad play. She briefly recognised me (I hope, but I may be deluding myself) and as I sat there with her she patted me on the head. That’s it, though, that’s my interaction with my mum. I gave up the chance to say goodbye because I was sticking to the rules. Again, my daughters didn’t get a chance to say goodbye to a grandmother who could understand them and respond.

And these c.nts. These utter, f.cking, shameless, hateful c.nts, were getting pissed (almost certainly on free booze provided by the public) and plotting their vicious schemes and lies.
I can’t say how much hatred and contempt I have for them.
a..eholes
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:09 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:04 am

shpalman wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:09 pm
No. 10 Christmas party cancelled (not satire).
I'm pretty sure satire underwent a hostile takeover by reality some time ago.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:37 am

If we assume they were key workers (which surely they were) and they spent all day every day mingling indoors with each other and their peers then I’m not sure that this party is problematic tbh.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:59 am

Well, it depends whether your definition of "problematic" includes a horrified press reaction, a horrified public reaction, your personal ratings being the worst they've been since you became prime minister, your political party dropping to around six points behind in the polls, increased press focus on the other parties and the other things you've done, people talking openly about replacing you as leader of the Conservative party and prime minister, and, last but not least, the 100% definite illegality of the parties (plural) and possibility of police investigation, charges and massive fines.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:01 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:59 am
Well, it depends whether your definition of "problematic" includes a horrified press reaction, a horrified public reaction, your personal ratings being the worst they've been since you became prime minister, your political party dropping to around six points behind in the polls, increased press focus on the other parties and the other things you've done, people talking openly about replacing you as leader of the Conservative party and prime minister, and, last but not least, the 100% definite illegality of the parties (plural) and possibility of police investigation, charges and massive fines.
I'm not sure about the last bit. If they are all allowed to work in the same office then where's the illegality?

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:04 am

plodder wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:01 am
I'm not sure about the last bit. If they are all allowed to work in the same office then where's the illegality?
Do you think Exception 3(a) applied?
Exception 3: gatherings necessary for certain purposes

(4) Exception 3 is that the gathering is reasonably necessary—
(a) for work purposes or for the provision of voluntary or charitable services;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... ule/1/made

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:27 am

Right. Plenty of people were entitled to be in the office during lockdown, and anyone who wants to argue that No 10 staff aren’t important enough will have a job on their hands. I just can’t see this ‘definitely 100% illegal’ thing.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:31 am

plodder wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:27 am
Right. Plenty of people were entitled to be in the office during lockdown, and anyone who wants to argue that No 10 staff aren’t important enough will have a job on their hands. I just can’t see this ‘definitely 100% illegal’ thing.
Maybe they were entitled to be there to do their jobs, but the party we're talking about doesn't count as work.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:40 am

discovolante wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:49 pm
Blog about the legal side of things here:

https://barristerblogger.com/2021/12/06 ... #more-3408
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:51 am

discovolante wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:40 am
discovolante wrote:

Thanks Disco. Looks like the party probably didn't break the law, but could have done. But it was completely against the spirit of the guidelines at the time.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:57 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:51 am
discovolante wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:40 am
discovolante wrote:

Thanks Disco. Looks like the party probably didn't break the law, but could have done. But it was completely against the spirit of the guidelines at the time.
Oh yeah definitely. Just seems like a very lucky potential loophole at best.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:04 pm

plodder wrote:
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Oh right yeah, if it wasn't illegal then it's definitely not problematic for Johnson. No problemo if there's merely a horrified press reaction, a horrified public reaction, his personal ratings being the worst they've been since he became prime minister, his political party dropping to around six points behind in the polls, increased press focus on the other parties and the other things he's done, and people talking openly about replacing him as leader of the Conservative party and prime minister.

Oh, and Ant and f.ckin Dec ripping the sh.t out of him on primetime TV

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
That article is a bit specific though,it's looking at "Did Boris Johnson break the law", without being at the gathering. Not the more general issue of whether the people directly involved did.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:09 pm

TimW wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:06 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
That article is a bit specific though,it's looking at "Did Boris Johnson break the law", without being at the gathering. Not the more general issue of whether the people directly involved did.
It also seems like there is a general loophole for gatherings taking place in official premises.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:19 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:04 pm
plodder wrote:
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Oh right yeah, if it wasn't illegal then it's definitely not problematic for Johnson. No problemo if there's merely a horrified press reaction, a horrified public reaction, his personal ratings being the worst they've been since he became prime minister, his political party dropping to around six points behind in the polls, increased press focus on the other parties and the other things he's done, and people talking openly about replacing him as leader of the Conservative party and prime minister.

Oh, and Ant and f.ckin Dec ripping the sh.t out of him on primetime TV
And it's not like there'd be any legal consequences for Johnson even if it were found to have been illegal.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:21 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:09 pm
It also seems like there is a general loophole for gatherings taking place in official premises.
Maybe, for the organiser, but the guy says:
Secondly, even attending a “permitted organised gathering” was not necessarily lawful. To be exempt from the rules those participating had to satisfy further conditions of mind-boggling complexity.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:23 pm

TimW wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:21 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:09 pm
Maybe, for the organiser, but the guy says:
Secondly, even attending a “permitted organised gathering” was not necessarily lawful. To be exempt from the rules those participating had to satisfy further conditions of mind-boggling complexity.
I'm also sure that they didn't carefully navigate this "mind-boggling complexity" to find a way to ensure their gathering was legal but rather just did what they want because they don't care.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:47 pm

Yeahbut if they didn’t break the rules then the outrage will subside. It’s not checkmate. Allegra Stratton’s apologised for the optics, there’s not much more to do.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:56 pm

No one is testing whether the rules were broken because the Met isn't investigating. The public thinks the rules were broken. That's the end of it.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:10 pm

plodder wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:47 pm
Yeahbut if they didn’t break the rules then the outrage will subside. It’s not checkmate. Allegra Stratton’s apologised for the optics, there’s not much more to do.
If they didn't break the rules it's pretty much entirely down to chance and the (relatively) unique status of number 10 as some sort of public place that nobody is really allowed to go to apart from if you're a member of the elite and get invited to a party. It's not really anything to do with whether it's generally allowed to have a party or not or whether that means it was fair that you didn't get to see your relatives one more time before they died.