2020 No. 10 Christmas Party!

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
discovolante
Stummy Beige

Re: 2020 No. 10 Christmas Party!

Post by discovolante » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:22 pm

It's not him
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:30 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:22 pm
It's not him
Good point.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:04 am

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:14 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:36 am
Ruth Davidson just stuck the boot in on BBC news.

Amazing that 100 or so people have had this email for 18 months and it's only just now being leaked.
The timings are working out quite well though - as it meant that the 'Christmas Party' could return a "I wasn't there, this was terrible, We shall investigate" response.
The 'Party on the Terrace' photo then led to a "no, no, this was just our way of working in a socially distanced manner" response

Then this. Busted

and the timing is great so that the outrage from each of the earlier incidents has allowed to subside, before coming back even stronger.
And the ratchet clicks once more -
Two Downing Street parties held evening before Prince Philip’s funeral
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:23 am

I suppose you can say that in political reality, the facts don't really matter. All that matters is that the electorate's perception of BJ is a lot worse. And BJ trying to get the facts set out makes no difference, whether the enquiry is fair or a whitewash. But let us suppose, for entertainment, the facts matter, and argue the toss.

I would guess Martin Reynolds is toast. He sent the invitations, and obviously he shouldn't have done. He is the PM's Principal Private Secretary. He is a civil servant. It's not a party job. He was apparently well known among those who worked in No 10 and its environs as the Covid-enforcer for that area, among his other PPS duties. And as a civil servant and No 10 Covid-enforcer both in practice and in principle, he should have been perfectly aware of the illegality of the gathering. And if he was instructed to do it - well what then? Could and should he have refused? As a civil servant, the theoretical position is no, he should have refused such an instruction. In reality, it may be difficult for the PM's PPS to refuse to do what the PM instructs. (As an aside, occasionally some PMs in the past have had their own party political person carrying out this role, or more accurately duplicating it, under the title "No 10 Chief of Staff". Perhaps someone more pliant to their will. But not BJ.)

The big question is, or at least BJ might like us think it's a big question, is did the PM did instruct his PPS to send the invitations? I think it makes a difference. Could the PPS really have done this off his own bat? Or is there anyone else who could have instructed him to do it, if it was under instruction but not from BJ? There is some indication that the PPS has some considerable independence of action and practical power. Cummings said so, and if he was being nasty to BJ, as he usually is these days, he would have said the opposite. So I don't immediately disbelieve him. But it does seem a very strange thing for a civil servant, who it seems was the Covid-enforcer at No 10 both in principle and practice, to do something so obviously inconsistent with Covid arrangements. But suppose he was instructed by BJ, and felt he had in practice to obey. I couldn't possibly suggest that they might try to buy him off with a nice ambassadorship to say to Ms Grey that he takes full responsibility for it, when in fact he was instructed. He was previously Ambassador to Libya, and Deputy High Commissioner to South Africa, a propos of nothing.

Let us hypothesize that this event is entirely the idea of Martin Reynolds, who sent the invites off his own bat. We criticise BJ for attending it - however briefly - because it was obviously illegal. But what about all the other people, who apparently are all highly intelligent No 10 workers and the like. Surely it would be equally obvious to all of them it was obviously illegal? So why did so many people turned up? Could they possibly have thought to themselves, if Martin Reynolds himself is inviting us, he the No 10 Covid enforcer, it can't possibly be illegal? Could BJ himself have thought along those lines?

Or is the reality that an "invitation" from Martin Reynolds is really an instruction from the PM?

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 am

How does security work at Number 10? X-ray machines? How can you wheel a heavy suitcase inside without the police searching it?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:26 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 am
How does security work at Number 10? X-ray machines? How can you wheel a heavy suitcase inside without the police searching it?
Apparently the PM wasn't in at the time, so maybe they just let anyone wander in when that's the case.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 am

lpm wrote:
I'm sure it would have been searched.

But the people on the x-ray machines may well have been private security rather than police officers. If so its not their role to enforce Covid regulations.

That said I'd be amazed if the police guarding the building didn't know about the parties. But to go back a few pages on this thread, whether or not the parties were actually illegal is a complex issue as Downing Street may have had an exemption. So if it was not obvious that a crime was being committed, they may have decided not to arrest anyone.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 am
lpm wrote:

But the people on the x-ray machines may well have been private security rather than police officers. If so its not their role to enforce Covid regulations.

That said I'd be amazed if the police guarding the building didn't know about the parties. But to go back a few pages on this thread, whether or not the parties were actually illegal is a complex issue as Downing Street may have had an exemption. So if it was not obvious that a crime was being committed, they may have decided not to arrest anyone.
Looks like no exemption https://twitter.com/adamwagner1/status/ ... 41575?s=21
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:25 pm

"Apologising to the Queen" isn't a conventional political tactic.

It's not up there with "cutting taxes before the election" or "appeal to patriotism".

But Johnson has always been an unconventional leader. Maybe his moron voters will love it. After all, it's a sign that it was a hell of a good party if you have to apologise to the f.cking Queen afterwards. Respect.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:42 pm

Ah, looking at the detail, they've not apologised for the party, they've apologised for not playing the National Anthem at the end of the party.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 pm

They've apologised for not inviting Prince Andrew, even though they knew he'd have enjoyed the strippers.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:23 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:25 pm
"Apologising to the Queen" isn't a conventional political tactic.

It's not up there with "cutting taxes before the election" or "appeal to patriotism".

But Johnson has always been an unconventional leader. Maybe his moron voters will love it. After all, it's a sign that it was a hell of a good party if you have to apologise to the f.cking Queen afterwards. Respect.
The remarkable thing is that this is the second time they've had to apologize to the Queen. The last time was after the Supreme Court ruled on the proroguing Parliament. Or maybe there were others?

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:40 pm

Johnson's been to see the Queen loads of times, so he must've shagged at least a few women in her retinue by now
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:25 pm
After all, it's a sign that it was a hell of a good party if you have to apologise to the f.cking Queen afterwards. Respect.
Thing is, we all know it was a slightly awkward work party. Like a works Christmas party, but without the end-of-term/year feeling. Hell of a thing to waste your "Apologize to the Queen for a party" Community Chest card on.
Last edited by dyqik on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
lpm wrote:

Apparently bags don't get searched: https://twitter.com/Sean_Kemp/status/14 ... 8879930373

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
lpm wrote:

Apparently bags don't get searched: https://twitter.com/Sean_Kemp/status/14 ... 8879930373
Oh ok. That’s a surprising lack of security.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 pm

Out of all of us, I bet Opti is the only one who's ever had to apologise to the Queen after a party. He'd want to do the right thing. Go round the next day with some brownies to make amends.

I've never needed to apologise for a party. Not even to my Dad. Though he once apologised to me.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:02 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Oh ok. That’s a surprising lack of security.
If someone has security clearance, not really.
In addition, with people coming and going from far afield, arriving with a suitcase would be fairly normal where they'll be staying in a hotel afterwards.
Meta? I'd say so!

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:09 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 pm
Out of all of us, I bet Opti is the only one who's ever had to apologise to the Queen after a party. He'd want to do the right thing. Go round the next day with some brownies to make amends.

I've never needed to apologise for a party. Not even to my Dad. Though he once apologised to me.
It was terribly embarrassing. I thought it best to offer a token of apology.
Time for a big fat one.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:42 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Woodchopper wrote:
lpm wrote:

So police don’t search bags or suitcases but threaten the plebs they will search their shopping trolley. Or maybe by trolley they meant Boris Johnson.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... s-11971269

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:56 pm
They have now
That's brilliant.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:02 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:04 am
Gfamily wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:36 am
Ruth Davidson just stuck the boot in on BBC news.

Amazing that 100 or so people have had this email for 18 months and it's only just now being leaked.
The timings are working out quite well though - as it meant that the 'Christmas Party' could return a "I wasn't there, this was terrible, We shall investigate" response.
The 'Party on the Terrace' photo then led to a "no, no, this was just our way of working in a socially distanced manner" response

Then this. Busted

and the timing is great so that the outrage from each of the earlier incidents has allowed to subside, before coming back even stronger.
It is immaculate timing. My guess is Dominic Cummings has a file of embarrassing emails and a schedule

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:08 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:02 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:04 am
Gfamily wrote:

Then this. Busted

It is immaculate timing. My guess is Dominic Cummings has a file of embarrassing emails and a schedule
Also it’s quite notable that all different media companies are getting in on the act, I wonder if the BBC will get one? Shall we take bets on which paper/channel will break the next story?

Have Sky News had one yet?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:25 pm

Another apology. Quick two tweet thread with details https://twitter.com/adamwagner1/status/ ... 26082?s=21