2020 No. 10 Christmas Party!

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
warumich
Fuzzable

Re: 2020 No. 10 Christmas Party!

Post by warumich » Fri May 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Lol our local ward just had a by election, to my knowledge this part of town has never been anything but Tory. The Green candidate won.
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri May 27, 2022 11:50 pm

warumich wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:57 pm
Lol our local ward just had a by election, to my knowledge this part of town has never been anything but Tory. The Green candidate won.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... abour-swee
Patrick English
Associate Director
May 28, 2022, 12:01 AM GMT+1

Latest YouGov MRP model suggests that if an election were held tomorrow, the Conservatives would hold on to just three of 88 battleground seats
Including Johnson's seat
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri May 27, 2022 11:52 pm

Johnson has learned his lesson

Pity it's that he needs to do more to hobble investigations

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat May 28, 2022 12:21 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:50 pm
warumich wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:57 pm
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... abour-swee
Patrick English
Associate Director
May 28, 2022, 12:01 AM GMT+1

Latest YouGov MRP model suggests that if an election were held tomorrow, the Conservatives would hold on to just three of 88 battleground seats
Including Johnson's seat

But then you read:-
Other constituencies sit on an absolute knife edge, with Labour’s predicted winning margin in each of Bishop Auckland, Scunthorpe, and Great Grimsby all less than two points.
And you think what the f.ck else do the Conservatives need to do to lose the backing of these voters?

You put yourself in the shoes of some ex-miner in Bishop Auckland and consider them watching the telly thinking:-

"Well my family all voted Labour since the dawn of the Universal Franchise, and the Tories turfed me out of work and ripped the heart out of my community in the 80s and 90s.

And then things got better for a bit but then the last 12 years of Tory misrule undid all that and instead we have had an unrelenting shitshow of austerity, political turmoil and economic stagnation culminating in today's double-digit inflation, shrinking salaries and rising taxes.

Brexit still drags on despite being supposedly oven-ready two years ago and while Project Fear's predicted downsides have turned up in spades, I'm still waiting on a single one of the promised benefits to materialise.

And now this, Tory MPs stuffing their boots with as much tax-payers money as they can, only pausing long enough to party with KGB agents, rape children or look at tractor p.rn, all presided over by that prize lying wazzock who now turns out spent the entirety of lockdown getting shitfaced and throwing up the walls of Downing Street, no wonder their response to the pandemic was so shite. I didn't even get to say goodbye to my brother.

So on that basis you can put me down as an "Undecided/Leaning Tory"
."
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat May 28, 2022 8:22 am

Boris removes 'all references to integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest' so now all they have to do is sit on the naughty step for a bit.

The Putinisation of government ramps up

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon May 30, 2022 7:37 am

... leaked text messages suggest there was a second gathering in Boris Johnson’s Downing Street flat during lockdown, held by his wife, Carrie, on his birthday.

Where's Carrie got to these days anyway?
The gathering came hours after the birthday celebration held in the cabinet room, for which both Johnsons were fined by police. It is thought to be separate to a third event on Johnson’s birthday with his relatives, which took place in the Downing Street garden and is thought to have adhered to the rules at the time.

It was previously reported that a gathering was held in the flat on 13 November 2020, with food and alcohol available and loud Abba music being played. Gray admitted she stopped investigating that particular event when the Met started their invesetigations, and chose not to pursue her inquiry afterwards.
Anyone still keeping track?
... the claims threaten to reignite anger over the Partygate scandal, under which the prime minister has sought to draw a line.
People who don't like Johnson never stopped being angry, people who like him won't start now.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue May 31, 2022 11:18 am

I can understand the need for high efficiency LED lights but there is something to be said for the way things are illuminated by gas-light.

Still it is nice to see a man of his age still capable of such gymnastics, he's essentially a contortionist at this point.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:28 am

Several posts moved to the Labour / Tory Party Comparison thread.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:11 pm

Little waster wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:26 am
I see a pattern developing.

The Party of Laura Norder are really excelling themselves ATM. Did Magna Carter die in vain?

The vox pops however are the same depressing story.

"I'm really sick of leopards eating people's faces in Wakefield. That's why I voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party in 2019 as I really thought they were the best people to tackle this. Now I'm disgusted to find that all they do is feed people's faces to leopards! I'm now seriously considering not voting for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party at the next election. But what is my alternative? I could vote for the Fluffy Kittens Party or the Putting Muzzles on Leopards Party but they are all the same ... Probably.

It's weird that repeatedly voting for Feline Visage Snacking policies over the last 40 years has produced a society where you can't open your front door now without an enraged big cat taking a chunk out of your cheek!"
By-election in a couple of weeks. Just seen a poll via twitter:

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:28 pm

Some comedian making a partygate joke at this jubilee pop concert... in front of the royals and Johnson himself... he's so finished.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:25 pm

lpm wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:28 pm
Some comedian making a partygate joke at this jubilee pop concert... in front of the royals and Johnson himself... he's so finished.
Lee Mack. Video here https://twitter.com/allyypallyy/status/ ... KVRuQSG_cA
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:06 pm

Stephen Fry just said some thing about “How many sewage works has she opened? How many ships has she launched? How many Prime Ministers has she tolerated?”

A few feet from Johnson.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:30 am

My first thought was. Another woman?
Screenshot_20220605-082903.jpg
Screenshot_20220605-082903.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:10 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:06 pm
Stephen Fry just said some thing about “How many sewage works has she opened? How many ships has she launched? How many Prime Ministers has she tolerated?”

A few feet from Johnson.

Video here - he gets quite a few cheers https://twitter.com/markconway87/status ... r1WU6LBb2A

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:24 pm

No doubt he has a few more dead cats up his sleeve.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:29 am

I'm so happy that the topic which we started taking the piss out of Tory MPs for all those months ago has now turned into such a toxic issue for them. Wonderful to see.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:36 am

I didn’t know where else to put this so I’ll put it here for now

Fines for Everard protest. Worth reading the whole quoted thread for some jaw dropping details

https://twitter.com/adamwagner1/status/ ... N5mIdR-5lA

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:25 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:36 am

Fines for Everard protest. Worth reading the whole quoted thread for some jaw dropping details

I would have thought that the met police fuckery thread would have been most apt. Or start a new one

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:34 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:

The linked thread is pretty bad, at least one of those convicted didn't know they were charged until the media story about their conviction.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:37 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:

It must have been very scary for the crowd of trained and fully equipped to defend themselves police officers to be faced with some chanting

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:06 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:37 am
Stranger Mouse wrote:

It must have been very scary for the crowd of trained and fully equipped to defend themselves police officers to be faced with some chanting
It does rather raise the question of why they became cops if they find such gatherings scary. Pathetic lying tw.ts.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:22 am

jimbob wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:34 am
Stranger Mouse wrote:

The linked thread is pretty bad, at least one of those convicted didn't know they were charged until the media story about their conviction.
The thread contains lots of stuff that is unlikely to be true. The four were dealt with under the Single Justice Procedure (SJP). This is supposed to be a simpler and faster way of dealing with minor matters. The defendants are sent the details of the offence and the evidence that is to be used against them, and they have 21 days to respond. They have a choice to have the matter heard in a normal court instead. If they do not respond, then the SJP continues with a magistrate deciding the case. The defendant is entitled (but not required) to be present. Defendants are notified by first class post which means that they are presumed to have received it unless they say otherwise. If a defendant has not received the notice, then they can have the decision overturned and everything starts afresh. It's all explained in this article, which makes it sound wonderful:
https://insidehmcts.blog.gov.uk/2021/10 ... tes-court/

While there are comments suggesting that the police took action because they felt threatened, that does not seem to be what the evidence says. You can (and should) read the actual paperwork yourself at https://twitter.com/kirkkorner/status/1 ... 0037598208 It seems that people were accused of being outside their home without lawful justification contrary to the coronavirus regulations. The statements claim that the police tried to get them to go away but then had to issue fixed penalty notices to people who refused to go home (or arrest people who refused to identify themselves so that fixed penalties could be issued).

The way court case work is that the prosecution make claims and provide evidence and the defense then have the opportunity to provide evidence to the contrary (as well as technical legal stuff like challenging whether correct procedures have been followed). If the defence say nothing then the court will presume that everything the prosecution says is true.

In a fair society a defendant would get free legal aid to handle their side of the case. In ours, they often don't.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:52 pm

Geidt resigns

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:51 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:52 pm
Geidt resigns
To lose one ethics advisor is unfortunate, to lose two ...

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:51 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:52 pm
Geidt resigns
To lose one ethics advisor is unfortunate, to lose two ...
I came here to make that joke...