Midwinter Wildfires

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Midwinter Wildfires

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:03 pm

As the planet continues to warm up and dry out, it's interesting to see what a mere 1.1°C looks like. Tens of thousands of people currently displaced by a big fire in Colorado.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59834897

I'm sure we're all hugely reassured that our leaders are responding to this emergency by urgently coming up with a plan to eventually get round to tackling some of the problem as long as it doesn't inconvenience vested interests, while criminalising protest.

And anyway, it's not my home.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Re: Midwinter Wildfires

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:47 pm

If Dr Laura Scherer makes a prediction about this week's lottery numbers, I will be paying close attention.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (394.97 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Something something hammer something something nail

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:32 pm

When I heard this about Colorado fire I assumed it was in the Rockies somewhere, where wildfires rage and few houses burn.

I was a bit shocked when I realised it was between Denver and Boulder, closing the 36 highway. It's on the edge of Broomfield, which is a suburb of Denver. It's literally 15 miles from Union Station in the city centre.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:47 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:47 pm
If Dr Laura Scherer makes a prediction about this week's lottery numbers, I will be paying close attention.

Untitled.png
From that photo, it appears trees are more fire resistant than houses. Maybe her house was better built than the usual wood and cardboard construction of most American homes.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:02 pm

The houses don't seem very proof against wildfires given that suburbs with well separated houses burned down. Though I don't suppose they were designed to be proof against wildfires. The Australian in me is somewhat horrified, but if the built environment isn't designed for the new climate, more of these horrors are going to happen.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:08 pm

I suspect firebreaks around cities and home masks/ventilation equipment will become important in a decade or two, once it sinks in that this is the new normal.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:29 pm

bjn wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:02 pm
The houses don't seem very proof against wildfires given that suburbs with well separated houses burned down. Though I don't suppose they were designed to be proof against wildfires. The Australian in me is somewhat horrified, but if the built environment isn't designed for the new climate, more of these horrors are going to happen.
Problem is that construction uses sh.t loads of carbon, so we need to see more timber building and less concrete blocks.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:28 pm

plodder wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:29 pm
bjn wrote:
Problem is that construction uses sh.t loads of carbon, so we need to see more timber building and less concrete blocks.
My brother and his wife own a timber framed house brick veneer house. The 2019 fires in Australia burnt through the forest behind their property to within a few metres of their house, but the fire suppression systems stopped it burning it down.

It can be done.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:44 pm

bjn wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:28 pm
plodder wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:29 pm
bjn wrote:
My brother and his wife own a timber framed house brick veneer house. The 2019 fires in Australia burnt through the forest behind their property to within a few metres of their house, but the fire suppression systems stopped it burning it down.

It can be done.
Yeah, there's a few This Old House episodes from the site of California wildfires showing how US standard buildings can be adapted for fire suppression/resilience. IIRC, making roofs more fire resistant and careful choice of landscaping around the houses were two key things. The structure of the house had less to do with it.
Last edited by dyqik on Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:44 pm

Quoted instead of edited.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:27 am

People living in the suburbs don't expect to have to deal with wildfires. Occasional houses standing when every other house is burnt can come down to luck. The building materials of many Denver houses are not suited to withstand wildfires znd they don't have any fire fighting equipment. If you lived in the Rockies, you would do things differently. Just like my house in suburban Australia 2 suburbs from the bush is not really designed to withstand a bushfire, but if I chose to live in the bush, I would do things differently (mostly about the roof). Fires generally enter through the roof and the danger is ember attack.

On this particular fire, Mrs P's niece and her family were evacuated. They were fortunate, their house was unaffected except some damage to the asphalt tiles on the roof caused by embers.

La Nina conditions lead to less rain and snow in the Rockies, but more rain in eastern Australia. The lack of winter moisture played a large role in the fire occurring in January, allowing with high winds. However, it is a signal for what we are in for. Climate change is going to exacerbate all the underlying severe weather.
Here grows much rhubarb.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:41 pm

Saw daffodils today. In full bloom. First of the year.

Though if I'd seen them yesterday they'd have been the last of the year.

In 2022 we should stop restricting freedoms for a disease and start restricting freedoms for climate.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:41 pm

Saw a butterfly fluttering around Worcester City Centre today.

Absolutely no sign of any bulbs flowering yet here though.