https://cnevpost.com/2022/11/29/sodium- ... catl-exec/
CATL planning sodium ion BEVs this year
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

bjn
Stummy Beige

Re: The Age of Electric Vehicles

Post by bjn » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:01 pm

The specific energy (ie: kWh/kg) of lithium batteries has been incrementally improving over the years. Unfortunately my google-fu can't find a decent plot of the specific energy of retail batteries over time. The best I could do is recent improvements of research batteries, i.e.: nothing may come of any of them.

Linky...
https://researchinterfaces.com/state-of ... ion-cells/

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:05 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:17 pm
bjn wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:14 pm
Sodium batteries could work great for static storage applications. So all those grid attached peaking shaving and stabilisation batteries should get cheaper, as well as your domestic PowerWall equivalents. This would free lithium to be used where having lightweight batteries is much more important. This should make lithium batteries cheaper for those applications than it would otherwise be if there were no sodium batteries.
A lot of PowerWall type applications are reusing lithium batteries that aren't quite good enough for cars anymore. Maybe going directly to recycling the lithium from an only moderately degraded lithium battery is helpful to the price, but the details might be important there.
Indeed.

One of my colleagues (in a field adjacent to that) told me that when the Nissan Leaf battery has degraded to the 80% of new capacity that is regarded as needing scrapping from the car, it still has an essentially unlimited number of charge-discharge cycles as a home battery supply.

The power (and current)* requirements are so much lower.

*I seem to remember that it's both temperature and current that are important in the dendrites that are the main cause of degradation.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:13 pm

Some passages in an article on people suing Tesla for failures in the autopilot:
We parked at the spot where he hit the police S.U.V. four years earlier [when the Tesla was in self-drive mode]. There was nothing special about the road here: no strange lines, no confusing lane shift, no merge. Just a single lane of traffic running along a row of parked cars. Why the Tesla failed at that moment was a mystery.

Eventually, Key told F.S.D. to take us back to the cafe. As we started our left turn, though, the steering wheel spasmed and the brake pedal juddered. Key muttered a nervous, “OK. … ”

After another moment, the car pulled halfway across the road and stopped. A line of cars was bearing down on our broadside. Key hesitated a second but then quickly took over and completed the turn. “It probably could have then accelerated, but I wasn’t willing to cut it that close,” he said. If he was wrong, of course, there was a good chance that he would have had his second A.I.-caused accident on the same one-mile stretch of road.

[...]

We approached an intersection and tried to make a left — in what turned out to be a repeat of the Laguna Beach scenario. The Tesla started creeping out, trying to get a clearer look at the cars coming from our left. It inched forward, inched forward, until once again we were fully in the lane of traffic. There was nothing stopping the Tesla from accelerating and completing the turn, but instead it just sat there. At the same time, a tricked-out Honda Accord sped toward us, about three seconds away from hitting the driver-side door. Alford quickly took over and punched the accelerator, and we escaped safely. This time, he didn’t say anything.

It was a rough ride home from there. At a standard left turn at a traffic light, the system freaked out and tried to go right. Alford had to take over. And then, as we approached a cloverleaf on-ramp to the highway, the car started to accelerate. To stay on the ramp, we needed to make an arcing right turn; in front of us was a steep drop-off into a construction site with no guard rails. The car showed no sign of turning. We crossed a solid white line, milliseconds away from jumping off the road when, at last, the wheel jerked sharply to the right, and we hugged the road again. This time, F.S.D. had corrected itself, but if it hadn’t, the crash would have surely killed us.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/17/maga ... -musk.html?

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:49 pm

Tesla has big problems with battery production: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/austin-proble ... 07306.html

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:06 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:49 pm
Tesla has big problems with battery production: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/austin-proble ... 07306.html
Tesla and production problems are almost a tradition at this point. You could think its because they are pushing innovation barriers or (as I do) that they've worked out over-promising and under-delivering has fewer downsides than up. Will be interesting to see if enough people actually want Cybertruck - hard to judge from a European perspective but it looks like a potential huge white elephant and I really wish they'd cracked on with the smaller model instead.

Saying all this as a happy Model 3 owner who thinks the company overall is somewhat lost, even leaving out Elon-stuff.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:27 pm

I’m glad that they are prepared to push the tech, and the battery hell thing is a bit overblown. They are buying lots of batteries from other suppliers while they sort the problems. It may be that they never sort out the problems, in which case they’ll use the other suppliers’ batteries for ever.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:28 pm

You'd think smaller cheaper ev mobility would be a bigger part of the conversation at this point.

I like the look of this one... https://nimbusev.com/
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:19 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:28 pm
You'd think smaller cheaper ev mobility would be a bigger part of the conversation at this point.

There are quite a few micro mobility options, the Fully Charged Show cover them fairly regularly. The Microlino one looks fun

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:30 pm

TopBadger wrote:

There's not a lot of room in there. I'm not a big guy (6 foot) and wouldn't claim to have wide shoulders (average, I suppose), but according to their specs I'd have about 1/2" of head room and 2" of shoulder room. That'd lead me to feel cramped after a short while, and many men might simply not fit properly (before anyone accuses me of being male-centric, all the website pictures show men driving, one with a woman in the rear seat).

The range is fine for a city run-about, but the luggage space is a small esky (coolbox) size, so not necessarily suitable for shopping unless you do grocery shopping daily and never buy more than one item of clothing at a time.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:01 am

Renault have decided to end the Zoe, which , as an owner, I think is a shame: the last model is/was a nice hatchback, rapid CCS charging and reasonable range. I also thought they had a good amount of traditional buttons/switches. They didn't make stuff touchscreen just "because you can", only that which really suited it did. It was, for me just right.

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:06 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:01 am
Renault have decided to end the Zoe, which I , as an owner, I think is a shame
Didn’t it get a zero star EuroNCAP rating? One would kind of hope that put a dent in sales.
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:36 am

nekomatic wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:06 am
FlammableFlower wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:01 am
Renault have decided to end the Zoe, which I , as an owner, I think is a shame
Didn’t it get a zero star EuroNCAP rating? One would kind of hope that put a dent in sales.
Apparently so: https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/renault/zoe/44206

Wow... I didn't realize a major manufacturer made a car that performs so poorly. You'd think anything from Renault would be 4+ stars.
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:21 am

Martin_B wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:30 pm
TopBadger wrote:

There's not a lot of room in there.

[snip]

The range is fine for a city run-about, but the luggage space is a small esky (coolbox) size, so not necessarily suitable for shopping unless you do grocery shopping daily and never buy more than one item of clothing at a time.
Yeah - looks on the small side but probably fine as a daily commuter / station vehicle for the multitude who travel alone with just a backpack / briefcase.

In the same vein as the Zoe... I wonder how safe it will be, particularly in side impacts where there can't be any real crumple zone. Perhaps it's super stiff and designed to just get pushed sideways. You'd hope it features side impact air bags. I'm also wondering what running lights the final product will have as those pictures don't seem to feature headlights or turn lights.

Edit: actually maybe the pictures do feature the lights and they're just very well blended into the body.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:57 am

TopBadger wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:21 am

You'd hope it features side impact air bags.
Actually website suggests only has a front airbag... so that doesn't sound so great.

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:35 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:36 am
Wow... I didn't realize a major manufacturer made a car that performs so poorly. You'd think anything from Renault would be 4+ stars.
Most other Renaults are. But their Dacia subsidiary doesn’t do so well.
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:12 pm

Was the Zoe essentially a rebadged Dacia then?

Thinking more on the Nimbus... whilst no side airbags, still better protected than a bike... which is what it's more directly comparable to.

(and yes - I'm supposed to be working today. Working between Xmas and New Year is a pointless exercise)

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:47 pm

nekomatic wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:35 pm
But their Dacia subsidiary doesn’t do so well.
I've got a Duster. It's cheap - I don't expect Volvo standards on a cheap car. But five months to get spare parts. !!

Wot I needed wasn't vital so I could still drive it. But FIVE effing months for spares !!!!!!!
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:08 pm

At least one of the five stars these days is for automatic collision avoidance tech, which can lead to phantom braking and cars swerving to avoid crossing lanes which don’t exist, at least if not well implemented. I’d be happier with a 4-star car that let me control it rather than a 5-star car that caused a crash. Probably not much excuse for a 0-star rating though.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:13 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:47 pm
nekomatic wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:35 pm
But their Dacia subsidiary doesn’t do so well.
I've got a Duster. It's cheap - I don't expect Volvo standards on a cheap car. But five months to get spare parts. !!

Wot I needed wasn't vital so I could still drive it. But FIVE effing months for spares !!!!!!!
Long delivery times for car spare parts has been a very common over the last few years.
A friend's husband was delayed in taking delivery of a Motability car - the car was here, but it took 4 months to get the ECU chip to UK
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!