Post by Grumble » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:00 pm

https://cnevpost.com/2022/11/29/sodium- ... catl-exec/
CATL planning sodium ion BEVs this year
A bit churlish

bjn
After Pie

Re: The Age of Electric Vehicles

Post by bjn » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:01 pm

The specific energy (ie: kWh/kg) of lithium batteries has been incrementally improving over the years. Unfortunately my google-fu can't find a decent plot of the specific energy of retail batteries over time. The best I could do is recent improvements of research batteries, i.e.: nothing may come of any of them.

Linky...
https://researchinterfaces.com/state-of ... ion-cells/

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:05 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:17 pm
bjn wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:14 pm
Sodium batteries could work great for static storage applications. So all those grid attached peaking shaving and stabilisation batteries should get cheaper, as well as your domestic PowerWall equivalents. This would free lithium to be used where having lightweight batteries is much more important. This should make lithium batteries cheaper for those applications than it would otherwise be if there were no sodium batteries.
A lot of PowerWall type applications are reusing lithium batteries that aren't quite good enough for cars anymore. Maybe going directly to recycling the lithium from an only moderately degraded lithium battery is helpful to the price, but the details might be important there.
Indeed.

One of my colleagues (in a field adjacent to that) told me that when the Nissan Leaf battery has degraded to the 80% of new capacity that is regarded as needing scrapping from the car, it still has an essentially unlimited number of charge-discharge cycles as a home battery supply.

The power (and current)* requirements are so much lower.

*I seem to remember that it's both temperature and current that are important in the dendrites that are the main cause of degradation.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Woodchopper
Light of Blast

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:13 pm

Some passages in an article on people suing Tesla for failures in the autopilot:
We parked at the spot where he hit the police S.U.V. four years earlier [when the Tesla was in self-drive mode]. There was nothing special about the road here: no strange lines, no confusing lane shift, no merge. Just a single lane of traffic running along a row of parked cars. Why the Tesla failed at that moment was a mystery.

Eventually, Key told F.S.D. to take us back to the cafe. As we started our left turn, though, the steering wheel spasmed and the brake pedal juddered. Key muttered a nervous, “OK. … ”

After another moment, the car pulled halfway across the road and stopped. A line of cars was bearing down on our broadside. Key hesitated a second but then quickly took over and completed the turn. “It probably could have then accelerated, but I wasn’t willing to cut it that close,” he said. If he was wrong, of course, there was a good chance that he would have had his second A.I.-caused accident on the same one-mile stretch of road.

[...]

We approached an intersection and tried to make a left — in what turned out to be a repeat of the Laguna Beach scenario. The Tesla started creeping out, trying to get a clearer look at the cars coming from our left. It inched forward, inched forward, until once again we were fully in the lane of traffic. There was nothing stopping the Tesla from accelerating and completing the turn, but instead it just sat there. At the same time, a tricked-out Honda Accord sped toward us, about three seconds away from hitting the driver-side door. Alford quickly took over and punched the accelerator, and we escaped safely. This time, he didn’t say anything.

It was a rough ride home from there. At a standard left turn at a traffic light, the system freaked out and tried to go right. Alford had to take over. And then, as we approached a cloverleaf on-ramp to the highway, the car started to accelerate. To stay on the ramp, we needed to make an arcing right turn; in front of us was a steep drop-off into a construction site with no guard rails. The car showed no sign of turning. We crossed a solid white line, milliseconds away from jumping off the road when, at last, the wheel jerked sharply to the right, and we hugged the road again. This time, F.S.D. had corrected itself, but if it hadn’t, the crash would have surely killed us.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/17/maga ... -musk.html?