Hastened by that idiot Dorries.

It's what they've wanted.
Time for a big fat one.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: Slow death of the Beeb

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:47 am

I have no love for Dorries.

But it is worth nothing there has been a general trend in Europe to move funding of public media away from tv licenses and to funding via general tax system (though doing this in different ways).

There are good arguments for this, for example that it’s unfair that TV owners or streaming service users should subsidise people who use the other services.

IMHO the key issues are the total funding and extent of editorial interference. I’m not that bothered how the money is raised.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 pm

The TV licence is going to have to be rethought entirely anyway as funding the BBC by taxing TV ownership is soon going to be as anachronistic as trying to fund the internet by taxing phone landline ownership. But with these c.nts in charge the "rethink" is bound to to lack much "think" and consist mainly of exacting revenge for previous sleights, real or imagined.

One thing that might actually help a bit is that they've already got their place man in as Director General, so taking some of the edge off immediate hostility. Which is why the line about "the days of state controlled broadcasting are over" got a hollow laugh from me. The Tories' problem with the BBC is precisely that it isn't state controlled.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 pm
The TV licence is going to have to be rethought entirely anyway as funding the BBC by taxing TV ownership is soon going to be as anachronistic as trying to fund the internet by taxing phone landline ownership. But with these c.nts in charge the "rethink" is bound to to lack much "think" and consist mainly of exacting revenge for previous sleights, real or imagined.

One thing that might actually help a bit is that they've already got their place man in as Director General, so taking some of the edge off immediate hostility. Which is why the line about "the days of state controlled broadcasting are over" got a hollow laugh from me. The Tories' problem with the BBC is precisely that it isn't state controlled.
It's not a tax on TV ownership. If you watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer, you need to be covered by a TV Licence.
The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
(Also, that should be slights rather than sleights.)

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:22 pm

I'm Portugal my "audiovisual contribution" is tacked onto my electricity bill.

It's only 3,02€ though.

iPlayer should've moved to a subscription model by now - everyone's used to paying for ad-free streaming. Buying a terrestrial licence would give iPlayer included, natch.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:50 pm

jdc wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 pm
(Also, that should be slights rather than sleights.)
I never remember which is which but was too lazy to check.