Sexist behaviour at senior levels

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Sexist behaviour at senior levels

Post by Allo V Psycho » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:31 pm

Can't go into details, but for work reasons I'm interested in cases where sexism and inappropriate messages were exchanged at senior levels of professional bodies. I'll be researching it through academic approaches, of course, but time is short, and any references to recent or relevant cases that forumites were aware of would be very helpful.

tom p
After Pie

Re: Sexist behaviour at senior levels

Post by tom p » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:31 pm
Can't go into details, but for work reasons I'm interested in cases where sexism and inappropriate messages were exchanged at senior levels of professional bodies. I'll be researching it through academic approaches, of course, but time is short, and any references to recent or relevant cases that forumites were aware of would be very helpful.
Would Ajax FC count as a professional body (they are a professional football club).
Their director of football, Marc Overmars, had to resign yesterday because of repeated inappropriate messages to female employees.
Theirs seems like an exemplary handling of hte matter. Female employees notified the club, they confronted Overmars, he resigned with a full mea culpa apologising to the victims

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:12 pm

There's an ongoing publicly discussed case at Harvard right now, albeit between a prof. and a student. With the usual signing of letters etc. from academics who should know better defending the prof.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:09 pm

This article is from yesterday.

In the spring of 2021, after six bruising weeks of a compliance investigation, senior employees at Axel Springer thought they had defused a crisis.

The German publisher had just reinstated Julian Reichelt as head of Bild, Europe’s top-selling daily newspaper. An external probe by law firm Freshfields found the editor-in-chief had abused his power by promoting and demoting young women he had slept with. Others received unwanted “romantic” messages.

Yet Reichelt had committed no criminal wrongdoing, the law firm found, nor had he broken company rules. Axel Springer told the public that Reichelt had made “mistakes”.
https://www.ft.com/content/0317edd2-cf3 ... 288904126c

If you want to access the article send me a pm.

warumich
Fuzzable

Post by warumich » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:47 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:12 pm
There's an ongoing publicly discussed case at Harvard right now, albeit between a prof. and a student. With the usual signing of letters etc. from academics who should know better defending the prof.
Crikey though, some signatories there where I'd have expected much, much better judgement. I hear a lot of them have backpaddled now, but still.

I was planning to go to a guest lecture by Sheila Jasanoff in Cambridge next month, I've already sorted out the parking and all. But this has turned into a bit of a side-scandal in my discipline, where she is one of the main figures. Mind you, some of the twitter discussions are also disheartening, those where people discovered that there's three Jasanoffs in the list and therefore automatically assume there's nepotism in the appointments - there may well be but the implication that Sheila - or her daughter - wouldn't have gotten the job without this is a bit off. Sheila Jasanoff is one of the most intimidating clever people in my field, she doesn’t need nepotism.

And Michele Lamont there as well, seriously. She wrote a whole book about analysing academic judgement!
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:38 pm

dyqik wrote:
Not just one student by the looks of the lawsuit
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:04 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:38 pm
dyqik wrote:
Not just one student by the looks of the lawsuit
Yeah, more details came out after I posted that, including the text of the lawsuit and the fact that there are three plaintiffs. Plus more stories appearing.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:13 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:31 pm
Can't go into details, but for work reasons I'm interested in cases where sexism and inappropriate messages were exchanged at senior levels of professional bodies.
Here's an example of an inappropriate email sent by a senior academic at Harvard to a graduate student.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:51 pm

That's going to be a tad difficult to deny ...
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:12 pm

warumich wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:47 pm
dyqik wrote:
Crikey though, some signatories there where I'd have expected much, much better judgement. I hear a lot of them have backpaddled now, but still.

I was planning to go to a guest lecture by Sheila Jasanoff in Cambridge next month, I've already sorted out the parking and all. But this has turned into a bit of a side-scandal in my discipline, where she is one of the main figures. Mind you, some of the twitter discussions are also disheartening, those where people discovered that there's three Jasanoffs in the list and therefore automatically assume there's nepotism in the appointments - there may well be but the implication that Sheila - or her daughter - wouldn't have gotten the job without this is a bit off. Sheila Jasanoff is one of the most intimidating clever people in my field, she doesn’t need nepotism.

And Michele Lamont there as well, seriously. She wrote a whole book about analysing academic judgement!
It looks like Jasanoff and many others have retracted their support: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/02/08/ ... professor/