Trump 2022

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
tenchboy
After Pie

Trump 2022

Post by tenchboy » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:45 pm

There's been the odd report here and there coming out regarding the investigation.
This being just the latest
Mazars, Trump's Accountants have chucked it in...
Mazars wrote

"While we have not concluded that the various financial statements, as a whole, contain material discrepancies, based upon the totality of the circumstances, we believe our advice to you to no longer rely upon those financial statements is appropriate," the letter said.

It added that the firm would no longer be working with the Trump Organization.
And as rampant denialism combines with world class cherry picking within a matrix of desperate optimism, 'a spokesman' said...
[the letter] suggests that the financial statements do not contain material discrepancies
(my emphasis)

No, no, they don't, do they? No-one in the world could ever interprate them to mean that.
At all.
Ever
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Re: Trump 2022

Post by Lew Dolby » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:46 pm

course there's no discrepencies - someone would have to be incompetant to produce annual (any?) financial statements that weren't internally consistand and balance. Whether they bear any relationship to reality is another matter.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:07 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:46 pm
course there's no discrepencies - someone would have to be incompetant to produce annual (any?) financial statements that weren't internally consistand and balance. Whether they bear any relationship to reality is another matter.
From elsewhere: http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... st13730197
Craig4 wrote:I saw President Biden in front of a fireplace with a roaring fire in it recently. If Trump flushed documents in a building with working fireplaces, that alone should tell everyone he's just not smart enough to be president.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:47 pm

Mazars’ letter, made public in a court filing Monday, came just weeks after New York Attorney General Letitia James said her investigators uncovered evidence that Trump and his company used “fraudulent or misleading” valuations of its golf clubs, skyscrapers and other properties to get loans and tax benefits.
Source: Politico.com

With the Attorney General implying that matters Mazars must have been involved with in some were "fraudulent or misleading", Mazars really had to walk - although they used the excuse of a conflict of interest. Saying that people should no longer rely on such documents was covering their arses, long after they had been exposed to the wind.

Meanwhile, those who like Deutsche Bank who did rely on Mazars' statements to loan money to Trump Org might not be very happy. Mazars will be hoping to avoid a circumstance similar to KPMG being sued for £1.3bn over Carillion. Maybe if KPMG does get stuffed to the wall over that one, accountants more widely will start being a bit more careful.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:29 pm

A group of people at Deutsche were running a money laundering operation. Deutsche won't be suing anyone. The NY AG is going to have a problem when they present how Trump Org overstated assets and got fraudulent loans from Deutsche - bank officers were willing participants.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:14 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:29 pm
A group of people at Deutsche were running a money laundering operation. Deutsche won't be suing anyone.
Why not? It would be very different people doing a very different job in a very different part of the bank. It is not as though money laundering is an unusual activity in banks, so far as I can tell, though most are a little less obvious about it than Deutsche was in that case.

The New York Attorney General marched in and arrested the board of a company I'd just left, after working for worked for a British subsidiary of them for over a dozen years. Marsh McLennan were involved in a criminal conspiracy to rig tenders for corporate insurance cover in the USA. At the time they were a diverse multinational company with interests in insurance broking, funds management, and consulting of various kinds. The fact of the board being bang to rights for their criminal activities in insurance broking in the USA had no practical effect on many parts of the business that were remote from such activities. The main effect on most employees and former employees was losing a lot of money on the shares they owned, as Marsh had a big employee share ownership scheme, where you could take quite a material proportion of your salary in discounted shares. That added up to quite a lot over 12 years or so. Overnight, I lost about a quarter of the value of my house (when houses were worth rather less than today).

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:40 pm

If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...