Angela Rayner

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
discovolante
Stummy Beige

Re: Angela Rayner

Post by discovolante » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:34 am

To be honest I think this is a kind of weird thing to get upset about. Maybe unnecessary to use nicknames (I prefer Sir Haircut tbh), and the reaction at being pulled up on it is OTT as well and going on about fan clubs is a bit petty, but not sure it's all worth this amount of upset when the thread is about an MP supposedly being in support of increased extrajudicial killing.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:44 am

jimbob wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:20 pm
Iron Magpie wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:38 pm
What Labour party?

As far as I can tell there are now two tory party's.
I actually had hopes that Rayner was just biding her time putting up with Keith's swing towards UKIP but unfortunately it seems she is every bit as bad as the rest of the PLP excluding one or two.
There is probably more difference between Labour and the Conservative party now than at any other time in my lifetime. Including 1983.
Aye, but in all fairness that's down to the tories moving towards extremist rightwing positions, rather than labour being particularly left-wing.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:46 am

jdc wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:01 am
Grumble wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:49 pm
Is Keith meant to be an insulting nickname? I don’t understand.
Because he's not Proper Labour, or because he's boring. Take your pick.
“Originally, the Left rebranded Keir as ‘Keith’ to dissociate him from the Labour legend he’s named after”.
“The man is bland as vanilla and so is the name Keith, so that may also have something to do with it.”
2nd explanation reminds me of the nickname for Palace fans - stripey Nigels.
I didn't know that nickname for Palace fans. That's brilliant

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:16 am

discovolante wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:34 am
To be honest I think this is a kind of weird thing to get upset about. Maybe unnecessary to use :D nicknames (I prefer Sir Haircut tbh), and the reaction at being pulled up on it is OTT as well and going on about fan clubs is a bit petty, but not sure it's all worth this amount of upset when the thread is about an MP supposedly being in support of increased extrajudicial killing.
I wasn’t upset at someone using the nickname - I was hardly bothered. I’m more annoyed at my words being misrepresented to say I was losing my sh.t and I’m guessing other people on the thread may feel the same way.

Please note. I am a bit annoyed by the strawman. But even then for the avoidance of doubt I am not losing my sh.t, clutching my pearls or throwing my rattle out of the pram. I’m happy to tut a bot and move on but I reserve the right to tut because I’m British.;-)

As far as Rayner’s comments go I don’t think she is in favour of extrajudicial killing. I think she said it as a crowd pleasing comment (in the same way as the “Tory scum” comment) which will appeal to some people, repel others and probably require a walk back which won’t undo the damage or the “benefit”.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:18 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:02 am
I think three people here called Corbyn Magic Grandpa.
I think I may have even used that at some point but I defended him from what I believe was unfair criticism the other day so one cancels out the other and I should win a prize. So there.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:47 am

discovolante wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:34 am
To be honest I think this is a kind of weird thing to get upset about. Maybe unnecessary to use nicknames (I prefer Sir Haircut tbh), and the reaction at being pulled up on it is OTT as well and going on about fan clubs is a bit petty, but not sure it's all worth this amount of upset when the thread is about an MP supposedly being in support of increased extrajudicial killing.
Yes, Rayner's comments are deplorable especially at a time when the need to overhaul the Met is finally being recognised

Given that the Tories have been continually cutting police and courts since 2010, Labour is easily the party of "law n order". Sadly they seem to have decided to take up that mantle in an old-fashioned regressive manner, rather than taking a progressive stance that would actually benefit their core voters (younger poorer people in urban areas and most ethnic minorities).

Ok, they still clear the subterranean bar of being better than the Tories, an objective that could also be achieved by a dog turd with a cocktail umbrella in it. Beyond that they seem pretty hopeless, having sacrificed their principles on the altar of Murdoch-sanctioned "electability". FPTP is a terrible thing.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:21 am

Iron Magpie wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:37 pm
headshot wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:45 pm
Iron Magpie wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:38 pm
What Labour party?

As far as I can tell there are now two tory party's.
I actually had hopes that Rayner was just biding her time putting up with Keith's swing towards UKIP but unfortunately it seems she is every bit as bad as the rest of the PLP excluding one or two.
Keith. Jesus. What are you? 12??
I'm wondering how many people you have pulled up about calling Jeremy Corbyn Steptoe or any other number of insulting names he has had over the years.
The most accurate name for him here is promoter and enabler of racists and bigots, and taking money from the Iranian regime to do a talkshow on a channel that got in hot water for broadcasting confessions obtained by torture. He continued to work from them after they were found to have done that. He also gave money to a man notorious in the organisation Corbyn himself was a f.cking patron of for being an open holocaust denier about a decade after the guy was outed as an unapologetic holocaust denier. The list of things he did in this regard is a very long one, but these alone should be utterly disqualifying for leadership in a progressive, anti-racist party.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:19 am

"Keith" has long meant Martin Amis. I think it comes from the apparent similarity of the Keiths in novels like Dead Babies and London Fields to the author.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:35 pm

IvanV wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:19 am
"Keith" has long meant Martin Amis. I think it comes from the apparent similarity of the Keiths in novels like Dead Babies and London Fields to the author.
It also means Keith Moon, Keith Richards and the fat guy out of The Office.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:51 pm

WFJ wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:35 pm
IvanV wrote:
It also means Keith Moon, Keith Richards and the fat guy out of The Office.
Those aren't nicknames, they are actual names.

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:24 pm

IvanV wrote:
Don't Private Eye use it for one of the royals? Charlie, possibly?
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:27 pm

Aitch wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:24 pm
IvanV wrote:
He's Brian.
Keith was the Duke of Edinburgh [1]
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:36 pm

Aitch wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:24 pm
IvanV wrote:
"Keith" was Prince Philip. More frequently seen are Charlie as "Brian", the Queen as "Brenda" (very frequent in the crossword clues), and Di as "Cheryl". Tbf, it's only on the books page that "Keith" is Martin Amis. But having read most of his books, he is forever "Keith" for me.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:26 pm

The landlord of the Five Bells in Nether Wallop, Hampshire (yes that's a real place) was called Keith, back in the mid 90s.

First pub I ever went to, so it was.

Happy days,

Keith.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:09 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:26 pm
Nether Wallop, Hampshire (yes that's a real place)
It was St Mary Mead in the Joan Hickson Miss Marples on that there BBC
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:36 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:09 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Really?! Today I learned.

One of the three Wallops, along with Over and Middle, if I recall (we left the area when I was 7).

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:17 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:36 pm
Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:09 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Really?! Today I learned.

One of the three Wallops, along with Over and Middle, if I recall (we left the area when I was 7).
Also the scene of the First Nether Wallop International Arts Festival - the precursor to Comic Relief.
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!