Schrodinger's bin laden

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Schrodinger's bin laden

Post by Al Capone Junior » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:43 pm

Ok it's possible that I got this from here, but if so, I don't recall it. However, it's a rather long and very interesting look at cognitive dissonance, motivation reasoning etc, and well worth the read

Schrödinger’s Bin Laden: The Irrational World of Motivated Reasoning

In a bit of motivated reasoning of my own, this confirms my belief that recognizing and overcoming the rather massive set of flaws that dominate human psychology is the most important thing we can possibly do going into the future.

If anyone has anything to add contrary to my belief, I shall quickly put my fingers in my ears and go "la la la la la" as loud as I can. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pishwish
Clardic Fug

Re: Schrodinger's bin laden

Post by Pishwish » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:16 pm

Good article. I once thought that it would be so easy to correct people's crazy belief systems, now I realise that it's pretty much hopeless.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Re: Schrodinger's bin laden

Post by Millennie Al » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:03 am

Pishwish wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:16 pm
Good article. I once thought that it would be so easy to correct people's crazy belief systems, now I realise that it's pretty much hopeless.
As Max Planck wrote:
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
However, it is quite possible to convince people some of the time. The key is to avoid direct confrontation but to plant a seed of doubt. To take an example from the cited article:
the aliens decreed they should remove all metal—including bra-wiring, zippers, and adornments
so ask what about the plate in my leg where I broke it years ago, or is it ok to carry my glasses with wire frames as long as they are not worn, or do my iron supplement tablets count as metal, etc. Some people will then explore more of their belief and start to doubt it. A similar effect is seen in religion where more diligent bible study often creates doubts rather than reinforcing faith. But ultimately the most important thing is that a person can change their own mind but nobody else can do it for tham.