Oxford-Cambridge-MK links scrapped?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Imrael
Snowbonk

Oxford-Cambridge-MK links scrapped?

Post by Imrael » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:31 pm

I might be behind the times here, but I've read that the proposed Oxford-Cambridge(-MK) developments have all been scrapped or are in danger. Personally/Nimby-ally the road upgrade going is a relief (since it would go past the end of my road) but the rail line was one of the few proposed developments I might actualy have used. Swings and Roundabouts I guess.

Less selfishly - wondering if there are no Tory marginals in the proposed areas to benefit.

Article in "The Register"

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Re: Oxford-Cambridge-MK links scrapped?

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:39 pm

Well, the varsity line is nearing full reinstatement between Oxford and Bedford, the only section left to build (sadly in full, the old track bed was built on after the line closure in the 60s) was the Bedford-Cambridge section.

The Government is all over the place on transport investment now. They seem to want to claim they're investing in the North but the scrapping of the Leeds branch of HS2 beyond a field north of Loughborough says otherwise. NPR has been similarly bombed. Sunak's a f.cking idiot.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Re: Oxford-Cambridge-MK links scrapped?

Post by IvanV » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:35 pm

The big event was the cancellation of the Oxford-MK-Cambridge expressway, ie a dual carriageway road with grade separated junctions.

The sad reality is that major roads like that provide much greater practical connectivity between regional urban areas than railway lines. So one might conclude from that cancellation that they aren't really so serious about developing the corridor as a well-connected economic zone any more.

They said that the road's economic case didn't stack up. Of course it didn't. It was supposed to be a transformational project based on a vision, not present short-term benefit. If you think the railway's economic case was any better...