Oligarchs

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Oligarchs

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:15 pm

UK finally sanction someone

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... r-shuvalov

And Charity Commission queries Abramovich charity plans https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60571382

ETA

And Ukrainian born oligarchfound dead https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -in-surrey

I can see this being a long thread
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Re: Oligarchs

Post by Lew Dolby » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:43 pm

I'm all for depriving oligarchs of some or all of their wealth and the influence that goes with it. May we could practice on some of our home-grown ones. The news recently seemed to suggest that uk (and other) billionaires doubled their wealth while the rest of us suffered through the plague years. Time for a minor revolution maybe.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:09 pm

We're letting Abramovich sell his assets before we sanction him. Chelsea fans in the cabinet I guess

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:18 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:09 pm
We're letting Abramovich sell his assets before we sanction him. Chelsea fans in the cabinet I guess
The argument for not moving quicker is pretty rubbish.

Freezing the assets for now and seizing them later if they're found to be ill-gotten. Isn't this what UWOs are for?
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:30 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
At least folk in the UK can rest easy, knowing they're in Russia's sphere of influence.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:59 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:30 pm
At least folk in the UK can rest easy, knowing they're in Russia's sphere of influence.
I quite like the idea of not sending the oligarchs' kids home from their expensive English private schools. I presume that would dampen any enthusiasm they might have for nuking London.
Something something hammer something something nail

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:08 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:59 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I quite like the idea of not sending the oligarchs' kids home from their expensive English private schools. I presume that would dampen any enthusiasm they might have for nuking London.
Well, at least they'd be covered by the Geneva Convention.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:10 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:59 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Oligarchs themselves, however, should be made to swim home.

The UK response can be divided into three areas as follows;

Sanctions: Very poor, it's not the sanctions themselves that's the problem, it's that introducing them slowly allows the ill-gotten gains to be moved out of reach.
Refugees: Extremely poor.
Military Assistance: Actually pretty good, supplied anti-tank weapons earlier than most countries, meaning they're already in use, and also trained Ukraine's special forces, who are now working behind Russian lines.

If the sanctions and support for refugees could be as good as the military assistance, we'd have a good response overall. Whatever political pressure that can be brought to bear must be. Obviously appeals to conscience won't work on people who'd already sold out their country through corruption, but it needs to be hammered home that they will lose more by being soft on Russia than they will gain in worthless rubles by sticking with them.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:14 am

Will they, though? I mean, they're currently offering a safe haven to move dodgy money offshore (as the City of London typically does).

The UK seems most effective when it comes to trying to kill people far away. Helping people domestically or turning down money from c.nts isn't on the agenda of anybody important.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:58 pm

Russians living in Spain — of whom not all will be oligarchs, but many will have wealth of dodgy provenance — are running out of money.
The president of Nash Dom, the biggest association of Russian speakers on the Costa del Sol, is Svetlana Ciliuta. She says the situation is creating a great deal of fear among Russian people here.

“In Marbella, we have a lot of situations where the father works in Russia and the mother and children live here permanently, and he transfers money to the account in Spain,” she says. With little money in the Spanish account and their credit cards no longer working, even something as simple as going to the supermarket becomes impossible. “People are in a panic because they can’t pay their bills,” says Ciliuta.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:02 pm

TIL that Holland and Barrett (cf. this forum and especially its predecessor passim) is owned by a Luxembourg-based private equity company controlled by an oligarch. So we all have yet another reason not to shop there.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:32 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:58 pm
Russians living in Spain — of whom not all will be oligarchs, but many will have wealth of dodgy provenance — are running out of money.
The president of Nash Dom, the biggest association of Russian speakers on the Costa del Sol, is Svetlana Ciliuta. She says the situation is creating a great deal of fear among Russian people here.

“In Marbella, we have a lot of situations where the father works in Russia and the mother and children live here permanently, and he transfers money to the account in Spain,” she says. With little money in the Spanish account and their credit cards no longer working, even something as simple as going to the supermarket becomes impossible. “People are in a panic because they can’t pay their bills,” says Ciliuta.
There's a Porsche Cayenne with Moscow plates (and a Maserati Ghibli with Italian plates) owned by whoever lives in the rest of https://www.myhomeincomo.com/modern-luxury-attic
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:13 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:42 pm

So, who wants to be the first to explain the difference between a US billionaire political donor and a Russian oligarch. Apart from the behavior of Putin.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:45 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:42 pm
So, who wants to be the first to explain the difference between a US billionaire political donor and a Russian oligarch. Apart from the behavior of Putin.
The first typically made fewer donations to the GOP?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:00 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:42 pm
I don't think there is a mahoosive difference, except for the othering vocabulary. And the fact that buying influence in a free-ish election is more respectable than buying influence in a dictatorship.

Sanctioning the oligarchs is a means of sanctioning the Russian regime. If folk wanted to sanction the US they could go after their billionaires.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:05 pm

U.S. billionaires mostly got rich through starting highly successful businesses.

Some got rich through inheritance of previous generations highly successful businesses.

Few got to be billionaires through criminal enterprise.

For Russian oligarchs the reverse is true. There were no new entrepreneurial businesses started. And no inheritance. All "made their fortunes" by seizing state enterprises and monopolies, often with murder and other violence, paying feudal dues to Putin himself. They are then run with corruption, bribery and blackmail. Every oligarch is a thief.

The BBC winds me up. In every article they say sh.t like "X made his billions by establishing his highly profitable fertiliser business".
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:15 pm

lpm wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:05 pm
U.S. billionaires mostly got rich through starting highly successful businesses.

Some got rich through inheritance of previous generations highly successful businesses.

Some of that last point depends on your views of tax evasion and the lack of prosecutions for cartel and monopolistic practices...

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:24 am

dyqik wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:15 pm
lpm wrote:

Some of that last point depends on your views of tax evasion and the lack of prosecutions for cartel and monopolistic practices...
There is a difference between that and the nomenklatura

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:53 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Trinucleus wrote:
Leave Roman alone. He’s so broke now he’s having to write kindle books. :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ukraine-Russia ... 156&sr=8-4
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Pishwish
Clardic Fug

Post by Pishwish » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:49 am

So I was wondering why exactly punishing oligarchs will have an effect. This thread suggests that the oligarchs have limited political power and depend on their personal connection to Putin for their wealth. The more influential group are the "strongmen" (Putin's friends) who are distrustful of the West and may welcome the increased isolation that the sanctions will bring. Many of the oligarchs may simply adopt this position.
This chap disagrees.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:02 am

Every time I read this thread title I hear it in Stewart Lee's voice, but couldn't quite remember the routine.

He's on peak form IMHO and it's super uncanny hearing his 2014 routine about then-Mayor of London Boris Johnson, oligarchs (and dogs).

Here it is on iPlayer and here is a link where you can actually watch it. ETA despite the url, wow... I just watched the whole episode without noticing I was on "adult noodle magazine". Could've been a risky click, but instead it was Stew at his acerbicly condescending best, with bonus interjections from Chris Morris. ETA2 deleted the link because I clicked again to check and all the adverts were verrry nsfw. What a rollercoaster. Why are p.rn sites hosting stewart lee content jeez

I'm not that keen on dogs either tbh.

secret squirrel
Snowbonk

Post by secret squirrel » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:47 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:02 am
jeez
I believe it's spelt 'jizz'.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:54 am

secret squirrel wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:47 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:02 am
jeez
I believe it's spelt 'jizz'.
I'm doing a kind of racist accent, like the one national treasure Andrew Sachs did in national treasure John Cleese's hit sitcome Fawlty Towers.

HE m.st.rbates TO STEWART LEE PERFORMANCES. HE'S FROM BARCELONA.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:07 am

dyqik wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:15 pm
lpm wrote:

Russia is a kleptocracy and although the capitalist system is geared towards protecting the super rich they still have to broadly follow the rules. Maybe "our" billionaires don't need to murder, extort etc in such a naked way because the system is more mature.