Journalists Under Fire.

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Journalists Under Fire.

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:01 pm

Ok this harrowing clip which you really have to see is in Ukraine but I thought it would be an idea to have a dedicated thread for literal and metaphorical attacks on journalists around the world,

The clip is amazing. Next time they should ask for a change of trousers with their body armour

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1499 ... 27749?s=21
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Fishnut
After Pie

Re: Journalists Under Fire.

Post by Fishnut » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:26 pm

I do find it very strange that we can watch people being literally shot at but god forbid we hear them swear about it.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:03 pm

I think there are journalists that deliberately put themselves in high risk positions, roll the cameras, and dream of their Pulitzers. I'll go further and say that I'm not sure watching unshaven dusty journalists crawl around under fire in rubble is a good way of finding out what's objectively happening. I'll go even further and say that macho adrenaline junky journalists actually glamourise the wars (and famines, natural disasters etc) they pretend to not be vicariously enjoying.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:52 pm

I'll cop to being a bit uncomfortable at some of the pooring over footage being done. Like, do I really have to watch folks nearly dying? I certainly don't want to.

Not having a go at you Stranger Mouse (nor anyone else) but part of the pro-Ukrainian narrative seems to be relying on promoting a lot of quite unpleasant footage, with the audience's intended reaction depending on whether the victims are Ukrainian or Russian. I'm not sure I like it.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:57 pm

plodder wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:03 pm
I think there are journalists that deliberately put themselves in high risk positions, roll the cameras, and dream of their Pulitzers. I'll go further and say that I'm not sure watching unshaven dusty journalists crawl around under fire in rubble is a good way of finding out what's objectively happening. I'll go even further and say that macho adrenaline junky journalists actually glamourise the wars (and famines, natural disasters etc) they pretend to not be vicariously enjoying.
The certainly are journalists prepared to take risks, but they're not necessarily on front lines of wars e.g. the ones Mohammed bone Sawman likes dismembering. That said I do also believe plenty of journalists are on the frontlines in Ukraine because they're genuinely trying to share the story.

The acceptable approach for occupying forces is to phone in an hour's notice before attacking journalists https://apnews.com/article/israel-middl ... e6ba8b53d7

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:12 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:57 pm
plodder wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:03 pm
The certainly are journalists prepared to take risks, but they're not necessarily on front lines of wars e.g. the ones Mohammed bone Sawman likes dismembering. That said I do also believe plenty of journalists are on the frontlines in Ukraine because they're genuinely trying to share the story.

The acceptable approach for occupying forces is to phone in an hour's notice before attacking journalists https://apnews.com/article/israel-middl ... e6ba8b53d7
Given that no people were harmed but the suspected Hamas position was destroyed, seems like a pretty good approach, doesn't it? And referring to Israel as an occupier when talking about Gaza is the better part of two decades out of date.

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:49 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:12 am
And referring to Israel as an occupier when talking about Gaza is the better part of two decades out of date.
OK. I'll bite. How would you describe the situation then, if not "occupier"?
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:02 am

Rich Scopie wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:49 am
EACLucifer wrote:
And referring to Israel as an occupier when talking about Gaza is the better part of two decades out of date.
You do realise that Israel completely pulled out of Gaza in two thousand and five, right?

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:11 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:02 am
Rich Scopie wrote:
EACLucifer wrote:
You do realise that Israel completely pulled out of Gaza in two thousand and five, right?
OK. Fair point. I'll replace "occupier" with "repeated attacker of" in my mind then.

Thanks.
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:22 am

Rich Scopie wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:11 am
EACLucifer wrote:
Rich Scopie wrote:

OK. Fair point. I'll replace "occupier" with "repeated attacker of" in my mind then.

Thanks.
You need to stick a "counter" before "attacker" at the bare minimum, you know. Shooting rockets at civilians isn't just something the Russians do.

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:03 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:22 am
Rich Scopie wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:11 am
EACLucifer wrote:

Thanks.
You need to stick a "counter" before "attacker" at the bare minimum, you know. Shooting rockets at civilians isn't just something the Russians do.
Mind you, almost every body, apart from the Israeli government, still considers Israel to be occupying Gaza. So "completely pulled out of" may be stretching it a bit.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:19 pm

They're occupying Palestine, even if the enclave of Gaza is merely under siege.

But it's ok, because they started it Miss.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:27 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:19 pm
They're occupying Palestine, even if the enclave of Gaza is merely under siege.
If you want to know what a siege actually looks like, look at Mariupol.