Responses to the Invasion of Ukraine

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Light of Blast

Responses to the Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Gfamily » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:05 pm

Not wishing to dilute the serious discussions elsewhere, maybe people would like to post some of the responses.
Sadly, they're not going to win the war, but they may help to give inspiration and resolve

Anyhow, this by the Polish artist Pawel Jonca
Pawel Jonca designed poster.jpg
Pawel Jonca designed poster.jpg (120.58 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: Responses to the Invasion of Ukraine

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:12 pm

There's also the St Javelin series of designs, which are being used to raise money for those affected by the war.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:31 pm

There's also Georgia and Moldova adding to the list of states that want to be part of the EU

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ia-ukraine

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:40 pm

Anonymous are claiming to have hacked two Russian streaming services, three Russian TV channels and Russia Today - France, and broadcast footage from Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/YourAnonTV/status/1 ... 9MVbgTF0-A

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:31 pm

Pranksters troll Russian diplomats

Pranksters in Wellington have renamed Messines Rd – where the Russian Embassy is based – to “Zelenskiy Rd”.

Wellington City Council spokesperson Richard MacLean said the council would change the sign back eventually, but it was not a top priority.

“... our contractors are very, very busy at the moment and may not be able to attend to this issue as a matter of urgency,”
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:50 pm

basementer wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:31 pm

Pranksters in Wellington have renamed Messines Rd – where the Russian Embassy is based – to “Zelenskiy Rd”.

Wellington City Council spokesperson Richard MacLean said the council would change the sign back eventually, but it was not a top priority.

“... our contractors are very, very busy at the moment and may not be able to attend to this issue as a matter of urgency,”
Similar in Vilnius, LIthuania (Heroes of Ukraine St)
Similar in Riga, Latvia (Independent Ukraine St)
https://www.reuters.com/world/latvian-c ... 022-03-04/
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:21 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:50 pm
basementer wrote:

Over here it was just a prank, but there it's official. Respect.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:10 am

Over here, apart from the warm welcome given to the few refugees who have made it this far and the large fundraising effort, the largest response so far has been for supermarket customers to empty all the shelves of Sunflower oil.
Time for a big fat one.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:41 am

basementer wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:21 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:50 pm
basementer wrote:

Over here it was just a prank, but there it's official. Respect.
I like the last bit in bold:
VILNIUS, March 3 (Reuters) - Vilnius will change the name of the road the Russian embassy is on to Heroes of Ukraine street, its mayor said on Thursday.

"Everyone who writes to the embassy will have to give a thought to the victims of the Russian aggression, and about the heroes of Ukraine", Remigijus Simasius wrote on his Facebook page.

The unnamed dead-end alley next to the embassy will formally receive this name on Wednesday, changing the address of the embassy, the mayor said.

Mail will only be delivered to the embassy if addressed to the new street, he added.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:56 am

Spain is now automatically granting residency permits to all* Ukrainian refugees ... and Ukrainian citizens who were already living here 'irregularly'.

*all includes foreigners who have been living in Ukraine.
Time for a big fat one.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:49 pm

Two neighbours of the Russian Embassy in Lisbon have projectors
Russian Embassy.jpg
Russian Embassy.jpg (55.8 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
As per this tweet
https://twitter.com/RogerMiles/status/1 ... 2101046275

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:47 am

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:49 pm
Two neighbours of the Russian Embassy in Lisbon have projectors
Russian Embassy.jpg
As per this tweet
https://twitter.com/RogerMiles/status/1 ... 2101046275
I’m sorry to say that this looks fake to me. The blue/yellow border goes perfectly straight across the picture despite it supposedly being projected around three sides of the building. It’s possible that the projector is at street level near where the photograph was taken though, but it is certainly not two neighbours. The bottom edge of the yellow seems a bit photoshopped too - what’s going on with those windows?

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:52 am

Hmmm, possibly, but it depends where the light source is coming from.

It’d be hard to ‘shop those reflections on the left in well.

The windows are obscured by a smaller two-storey building in front of the taller building.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:54 am

Looking on streetview, the lower two stories project further forward.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.73492 ... 8192?hl=en

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:52 am

The light doesn’t actually go perfectly straight across, it does inflect upwards at the corners, just not by much.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:12 am

I know less about projectors than I do about radiators, so we're down in the realm of the square root of bugger all; but projectors at different locations would shirly have different upward inflections; why not put them in the same location, it's easier; how do you get perfectly matched cut-off with no green-band.
Pissing on fire-works? Ask away.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:45 am

Projections onto buildings as tourist attractions can be remarkably precise, so I'd have thought that two projectors at the height of the division between yellow and blue would give a sharp and flat cut-off right around the sides.
However, the camera taking the image would have to be at the same height I think.
It's not something we do much over here, but it seems to be a fairly common thing in cities on the continent. Chartres has a great selection.
Meta? I'd say so!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:26 pm

Ukraine has a new Postage Stamp design
Ukraine stamp.jpg
Ukraine stamp.jpg (73.68 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... tage-stamp
Meta? I'd say so!

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:49 am

Some Russian superyachts are switching off their Automated Information System and thus 'disappearing': AIS is mandatory, unless you are under threat (which, in a way, they are). Of course, hiding a superyacht isn't that easy, especially since there seems to be a band of 'yacht spotters'. Some may head to the Seychelles or Maldives: others may be heading to Vladivostok.

https://news.usni.org/2022/03/11/russia ... more-92785

I don't know how easy it may be to fly to Seychelles or Maldives from Russia. A superyacht you can't visit is not really much use. And as for Vladivostok versus Antibes, well....

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:42 am

A Cardiff orchestra changed a concert programme because one of the pieces celebrated a Russian Military 'victory'

The piece was composed by a Russian composer.

The right wing bastard press have crowbarred this into a story about 'cancel culture', and made it solely about the composer's nationality.
Simon f.cking Heffer was on Radio 4's Broadcasting House this morning promoting this malignancy ("We performed Beethoven during WWII, you know") and wasn't put right.

FFS; BBC, you're an organisation full of informed people, is it too much to ask that you provide your listeners with fuller details to give context to the story, rather than simply allowing Simon f.cking Heffer to spout off unchallenged.

Silly question, of course it is.
Meta? I'd say so!

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:54 am

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:42 am
A Cardiff orchestra changed a concert programme because one of the pieces celebrated a Russian Military 'victory'

The right wing bastard press have crowbarred this into a story about 'cancel culture', and made it solely about the composer's nationality.
Simon f.cking Heffer was on Radio 4's Broadcasting House this morning promoting this malignancy ("We performed Beethoven during WWII, you know") and wasn't put right.

FFS; BBC, you're an organisation full of informed people, is it too much to ask that you provide your listeners with fuller details to give context to the story, rather than simply allowing Simon f.cking Heffer to spout off unchallenged.

The Today programme, TBF did give context a couple of days ago.

It was the 1812 Overture, there were Ukrainian members of the orchestra, and they were still playing other Russian composers, just not that piece.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:02 am

jimbob wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:54 am
Gfamily wrote:

It was the 1812 Overture, there were Ukrainian members of the orchestra, and they were still playing other Russian composers, just not that piece.
So, why not put S-f-H in his place today then? Bastards.
Meta? I'd say so!

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:02 am

The 1812 is about a country successfully resisting an invasion by an aggressive and expansionist empire. Seems wholly appropriate for current circumstances (well, we'll see how the "successfully" goes).

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:17 am

Sciolus wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:02 am
The 1812 is about a country successfully resisting an invasion by an aggressive and expansionist empire. Seems wholly appropriate for current circumstances (well, we'll see how the "successfully" goes).
If that argument had been put forward there might have been a point to be made, but it wasn't.

If the given narrative is based on a false premise it's just bad journalism and a bad editorial call
Meta? I'd say so!

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:58 am

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:02 am
jimbob wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:54 am
Gfamily wrote:

So, why not put S-f-H in his place today then? Bastards.
No idea.

Saying that the management of Cardiff Opera House thought it was insensitive to ask an orchestra containing Ukrainians to play a tune composed to commemorate a victory of a country that is invading their homeland probably doesn't sound worth repeating.

AKA.

"Bad journalism and a bad editorial call"
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation