Re: P & O

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:44 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:50 pm
stańczyk wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:19 pm
Grumble wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:41 pm
They should be registered initially in the country of production then have to travel at least once a year to the country of registration.
Moldova, Mongolia and Bolivia all have an open registry (they are all landlocked).
Moldova has pretty simple ocean access along navigable rivers, with a short jaunt along the Dnister river (when Russia isn't trying to capture it), and the Danube (e.g. from Giurgiulesti International Free Port). I don't know if Bolivia's connection to the Amazon is navigable.

Does Austria have a registry? I imagine that there might be some vessels still afloat that date from when it did have a seaport (see the Sound of Music for details).
Using the Rhine Main Danube canal its possible for ships to navigate all the way from Rotterdam to Vienna, and then down the Danube. Though not very big ships.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:52 pm

TimW wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:21 am
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:42 pm
Heard on the news that the plan is to pay the new workers under minimum wage even if hired in this country. I did a search and came across this decade old article.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... nuses-tips
Crew on British cruise holidays who are paid a basic salary of as little as 75p an hour face having extra tips from passengers withheld unless they hit performance targets.

The boss of P&O Cruises said the move was part of a package to "make crew more responsive" and offer protection as tips dry up in the economic downturn.
P&O Cruises (now part of Carnival) has been an entirely separate thing from P&O Ferries since 2000 though.
Had a little chuckle to myself when the YT vid I was watching was interrupted by a "P&O Cruises" ad desperately trying to make clear that they definitely aren't "P&O".

I see an imminent rebranding coming. 8-)

My suggestion "Putin & Oligarchs' Cruises".

I've not been paying much attention to the news recently but I believe that will have strong cut-through with multiple key demographics. That'll be £100k please.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:36 pm

Customers complaining that P & O have not fulfilled their promises for refund

https://twitter.com/itvjoel/status/1511 ... XY8T3AiqZw
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

kerrya1
Clardic Fug

Post by kerrya1 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:56 am

Sorry, I may have missed this but one thing that confuses me is where these new agency employees are coming from and where they are living.

Are they all British or EU (or have the correct work visas to live and work in UK or EU) in which case they will have to somehow meet UK/EU cost of living on significantly below minimum wage.

Or, are they foreign workers who will just live on the ferries permanently never setting foot in the countries those ferries serve and therefore don't need rights to live/work in those countries?

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:47 am

kerrya1 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:56 am
Sorry, I may have missed this but one thing that confuses me is where these new agency employees are coming from and where they are living.

Are they all British or EU (or have the correct work visas to live and work in UK or EU) in which case they will have to somehow meet UK/EU cost of living on significantly below minimum wage.

Or, are they foreign workers who will just live on the ferries permanently never setting foot in the countries those ferries serve and therefore don't need rights to live/work in those countries?
Non EU workers. They will spend the majority of their time on the ship but I don’t think they are prohibited from visiting the UK while in port but they have no rights as a worker when they do as I understand it.

kerrya1
Clardic Fug

Post by kerrya1 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:58 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:47 am
kerrya1 wrote:

Non EU workers. They will spend the majority of their time on the ship but I don’t think they are prohibited from visiting the UK while in port but they have no rights as a worker when they do as I understand it.
So, they'd have to get tourist visas to exit the port, assuming they come from a country where a visa is required to enter the UK? If not then surely that is a big illegal imigration pathway that this government would be very keen to block, just nip off the ship to visit Kent and don't go back?

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:07 am

kerrya1 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:58 am
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:47 am
kerrya1 wrote:

So, they'd have to get tourist visas to exit the port, assuming they come from a country where a visa is required to enter the UK? If not then surely that is a big illegal imigration pathway that this government would be very keen to block, just nip off the ship to visit Kent and don't go back?
I never thought of that but presumably yes. The reports I’ve read have referred to them spending minimal time in port rather than no time but I haven’t seen it discussed in more detail.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:19 am

Crew generally are allowed on land while their ship is in. When there are a load of cruise ships in Southampton the town seems full of Filipinos stocking up on chocolate.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:22 am

TimW wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:19 am
Crew generally are allowed on land while their ship is in. When there are a load of cruise ships in Southampton the town seems full of Filipinos stocking up on chocolate.
I’m amazed they can afford it unless they plan to resell it.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:38 am

Also there's loads of non-EU countries which don't need tourist visas for short visits. https://visaguide.world/europe/uk-visa/ ... s-uk-visa/
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.