P & O

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Re: P & O

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:41 am

And Grant Shapps was apparently told what P & O were going to do on 22nd November

https://twitter.com/itvjoel/status/1506 ... S759AtQcUw

Sorry for the flurry of tweets but this two tweet thread is important. First one he says they knew the law but decided to break it. Second one they say that they couldn’t consult the unions because there is no way the unions would agree.

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1506 ... p-Su1PRs0Q
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:52 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:41 am
And Grant Shapps was apparently told what P & O were going to do on 22nd November

Sorry for the flurry of tweets but this two tweet thread is important. First one he says they knew the law but decided to break it. Second one they say that they couldn’t consult the unions because there is no way the unions would agree.

That second one - well I guess the union's lawyers will have a field day with that.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:55 pm

jimbob wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:52 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:41 am

That second one - well I guess the union's lawyers will have a field day with that.
Grant Shapps lot are saying that minutes of 22nd November show that they were told P & O had challenges but there was nothing said about redundancy. No news yet on whether Michael Green was taking the minutes,

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:58 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:10 am
They’re getting an absolute kicking today. Jesus. I think they’re tw.ts but I almost feel sorry for them.

Almost.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 42901.html

ETA direct live feed https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Ind ... edeedf6af1

ETA thread https://twitter.com/ashcowburn/status/1 ... 6ZQ8o2u3nA

BEIS Committee chair Darren Jones kicks off hearing with P&O chief:

"When I was reading your biography, it seemed pretty light on your experience as a chief executive officer. Are you in this mess because you don’t know what you’re doing, or are you just a shameless criminal?"
Well I guess your subsequent post answered Darren Jones's opening question.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:31 pm

Where are these replacement workers living?

It seems odd to me that Ferry services workers aren't covered by national employment laws, either on the UK side or on the destination side (e.g. France, Ireland). Why is this so different to Airport staff (who, AIUI, are employed from a base airport subject to national employment rules)?

Seems to me this is a loophole, and one which can and should be closed.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:19 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:31 pm
Where are these replacement workers living?

It seems odd to me that Ferry services workers aren't covered by national employment laws, either on the UK side or on the destination side (e.g. France, Ireland). Why is this so different to Airport staff (who, AIUI, are employed from a base airport subject to national employment rules)?

Seems to me this is a loophole, and one which can and should be closed.
Seems strange to me that a ship exclusively travelling between two ports can be registered in a third country without ever visiting that country.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

science_fox
Snowbonk

Post by science_fox » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:28 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:19 pm
Seems strange to me that a ship exclusively travelling between two ports can be registered in a third country without ever visiting that country.
Isn't that exactly what a 'flag of convenience' means? I didn't know Ferries were using it too though
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:41 pm

science_fox wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:28 pm
Grumble wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:19 pm
Isn't that exactly what a 'flag of convenience' means? I didn't know Ferries were using it too though
Yes, but I can understand it on a cargo ship that might sail anywhere in the world. Ferries could be classed differently fairly easily you would think.

They should be registered initially in the country of production then have to travel at least once a year to the country of registration.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:01 pm

Maritime Laws apply. It's all down to The Magna Carta, and the legal person
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:13 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:41 pm
Yes, but I can understand it on a cargo ship that might sail anywhere in the world. Ferries could be classed differently fairly easily you would think.

They should be registered initially in the country of production then have to travel at least once a year to the country of registration.
Why not simply require them to be flagged with one of the ports they service... ferries between UK and France should be UK or French flagged.
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

stańczyk
Buzzberry

Post by stańczyk » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:19 pm

Grumble wrote:
Moldova, Mongolia and Bolivia all have an open registry (they are all landlocked).

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:45 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:13 pm
Grumble wrote:

Why not simply require them to be flagged with one of the ports they service... ferries between UK and France should be UK or French flagged.
Yes, for ferries that should be easy, you would think. By forcing all ships to travel to the port/country of registration periodically you would cut out the nonsense of a Dover-Calais ferry being registered in Malta (or wherever it was). I realise the world depends on cheap trade and cheap shipping so I’m sure there would be knock-on effects to this.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:50 pm

stańczyk wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:19 pm
Grumble wrote:
Moldova, Mongolia and Bolivia all have an open registry (they are all landlocked).
Moldova has pretty simple ocean access along navigable rivers, with a short jaunt along the Dnister river (when Russia isn't trying to capture it), and the Danube (e.g. from Giurgiulesti International Free Port). I don't know if Bolivia's connection to the Amazon is navigable.

Does Austria have a registry? I imagine that there might be some vessels still afloat that date from when it did have a seaport (see the Sound of Music for details).

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:51 pm

we (the UK and Ireland and France) could make a start by having a law that says all crew members of any ship using a UK port has to be paid UK minimum wage while they're in UK waters. If France had a similar law, Dover-Calais ferry crews would have to be decently paid. etc
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

stańczyk
Buzzberry

Post by stańczyk » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:05 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:50 pm
Does Austria have a registry? I imagine that there might be some vessels still afloat that date from when it did have a seaport (see the Sound of Music for details).
Yes, Austria has a registry and a merchant vessel fleet.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:49 pm

Heard Grant Shapps on the radio... he considers this a loophole to close.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:21 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:49 pm
Heard Grant Shapps on the radio... he considers this a loophole to close.
Did he say this as Grant Shapps or one of his alter egos?

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:35 pm

stańczyk wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:05 pm
dyqik wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:50 pm
Yes, Austria has a registry and a merchant vessel fleet.
Registries are not only for sea vessels. Lots of shipping on the Danube (Austria), Amazon basin (Bolivia), etc. Maybe in Mongolia they register boats on Lake Khövsgöl.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:41 am

stańczyk wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:19 pm
Yes but how about Liechtenstein and Uzbekistan eh? Quizzers need to know.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:45 am

There are reports that staff weren't allowed to collect personal belongings from their belongings.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:07 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:45 am
There are reports that staff weren't allowed to collect personal belongings from their belongings.
That’s straight theft. Who has jurisdiction?

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:07 am

Grumble wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:07 am
jimbob wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:45 am
That’s straight theft. Who has jurisdiction?
story here.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... 551399.amp

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:17 am

Lew Dolby wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:51 pm
we (the UK and Ireland and France) could make a start by having a law that says all crew members of any ship using a UK port has to be paid UK minimum wage while they're in UK waters. If France had a similar law, Dover-Calais ferry crews would have to be decently paid. etc
It would be something that would be much easier and more powerful to do if it was an EU law and we were still in the EU. If we aren't in the EU, the French will first consider if there is any way they could take advantage of us. That is their instinct.

More generally, it might be something that could work, given some cooperation from nearby countries, but only really for short distance shipping. Longer distance shipping would just find a convenient way to raise two fingers, there isn't a shortage of ways for them to do that. It would be basically unenforceable on them.

Holylol
Sindis Poop

Post by Holylol » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:09 pm

IvanV wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:17 am
If we aren't in the EU, the French will first consider if there is any way they could take advantage of us. That is their instinct.
I am curious about what you mean there.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:20 pm

Holylol wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:09 pm
IvanV wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:17 am
If we aren't in the EU, the French will first consider if there is any way they could take advantage of us. That is their instinct.
I am curious about what you mean there.
I'm not. I assume it's just the sort of projection you'd expect from the current UK establishment.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!