Recovery of orphan sources in Georgia

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Recovery of orphan sources in Georgia

Post by Fishnut » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:00 pm

I've been having a tidy-up of my Watch Later list in YouTube and came across this video which, being fairly short, I thought I'd finally watch. It shows footage of a team of guys going into the Georgian (country, not state) woods in the middle of winter in 2002 to recover some highly radioactive substances that are just lying on the ground. Does anyone know the background to this f.cking insane situation?
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: Recovery of orphan sources in Georgia

Post by Gfamily » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:07 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:00 pm
I've been having a tidy-up of my Watch Later list in YouTube and came across this video which, being fairly short, I thought I'd finally watch. It shows footage of a team of guys going into the Georgian (country, not state) woods in the middle of winter in 2002 to recover some highly radioactive substances that are just lyin"g on the ground. Does anyone know the background to this f.cking insane situation?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lia_radiological_accident
"The accident was a result of unlabeled radioisotope thermoelectric generator cores which had been improperly dismantled and left behind from the Soviet era."

ETA Jesus wept, that's a hard read!
Last edited by Gfamily on Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: Recovery of orphan sources in Georgia

Post by Gfamily » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:10 pm

Quoted rather than edited
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!