Blyatskrieg

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Blyatskrieg

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:26 am

I know these things can take time. But I bet it San Francisco were trying to annexe Marin County they could get a shift on.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:10 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:26 am
I know these things can take time. But I bet it San Francisco were trying to annexe Marin County they could get a shift on.
They're probably also not expecting surprise rocket attacks from Alcatraz. Probably.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:04 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:00 am
jimbob wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:13 pm
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/sta ... M1BdC9V-Gg

The surviving Kerch road bridge concrete doesn't look very happy.

I hope it's similar with the rail bridge
Comment from someone who claims to know what they are talking about: https://twitter.com/per_aae/status/1580 ... IPInSjyS_w
AP now saying Russia wants the bridge repaired by July. This does not bode well for their occupation.
I think that’s the road bridge. I haven’t seen an estimate for the rail bridge.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:07 am

A war translated thread on the bridge and logistics:
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/statu ... AsdH2D9s0Q

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:48 pm

Pishwish wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:04 am
Consider how long it is taking San Franscisco to instal a net on the Golden Gate Bridge.
Okay, but when it's done they can capture Mothra. You don't want any mistakes.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:33 pm

Video of what looks like an ATACMs being launched in Ukraine.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IAPonomarenk ... 7885911042

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:02 pm

How can you tell from that video?

I want Ukraine to get ATACMS, but havent seen any evidence of it in use yet.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:07 pm

Looks like a single large rocket, but I’m probably wrong.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:57 pm

bjn wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:07 pm
Looks like a single large rocket, but I’m probably wrong.
I think you are, I'm afraid. I think I can just about make out the six tubes at the back of each pod before the launch. It's certainly not a conclusive no, though. That said, if there are ATACMS in Ukraine, a tight lid is being kept on it. The only other possible evidence is a smidge of view of a pod under a panel and tarpaulin that might have the fraction of tube visible in the centre rather than the corners of the pod, and the use of the panel and tarpaulin is a possible hint as it isn't normal practise. That would mean it is unlikely that we'd get footage like this if they were there, and the US has mostly said they aren't sending them, really painting themselves quite unnecessarily into a corner in the process, though one official did seem to want to deflect rather than actually say no.

The easiest way to tell is if you can get a good view of the launch from the front. Any freeze frame with a clear view of the missile, or a clear view of the front of the pod after it's fired, will tell you. Before it's fired it is much harder, as the cover over an ATACMS is designed to look like the cover over a pod of standard rockets.

Unfortunately, the camera fails to focus on the launch, probably due to the film being a selfie and it focussing more on the soldier. Sound and flash don't work well as methods, as they are too dependent on conditions, camera and microphones. Speed doesn't work either; both missiles f.ck off pretty promptly.

For context, M30 and M31 GMLRS rockets are about the size of telephone poles. ATACMS are substantially fatter, but no longer.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:07 pm

Intercepted call - note it contains lots of Russian swearing and some homophobia.

Soldiers calls artilleryman after artillery misses by half a kilometre. Amidst various insults is comment about anal beads, which I can't help but think might be a reference to the current controversy in the world of chess.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:38 pm

The Ukrainians are listening in on a cheap two way radio, I have the same make and similar model for paragliding. Which means then Russians are transmitting completely in the clear. There’s no signals security what so ever.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:13 pm

bjn wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:38 pm
The Ukrainians are listening in on a cheap two way radio, I have the same make and similar model for paragliding. Which means then Russians are transmitting completely in the clear. There’s no signals security what so ever.
Good radios are expensive. Every now and then the media in a western country will have a whinge about why military and in some cases other uniformed service radios are so damn expensive.

There's plenty of evidence out there as to why radios need the kind of features that cost money - integrated encryption and frequency hopping - as it isn't just this case. There's all kinds of radio intercepts from the war, including some where Ukrainians join in with uhm...tactical suggestions. It's also likely the cause of a lot of accurate Ukrainian targetting, including the schwacking of several Russian generals.

Then again, the press once raged about the cost of new five inch guns for warships, noting that they were, apparently, only as long as toothbrushes :roll:

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:16 pm

It's not just a change in rhetoric from Belarus. They appear to be quietly mobilising. Belarusian units are using the same tactical markings as Russian ones, which are moving within Belarus.

It's quite possible that these forces are effectively conducting a demonstration, to pin Ukrainian forces in the north, or even there to react should people rise against Lukashenko, but the idea that they might invade can't be ruled out. In February, the move to final assembly points came only just before the invasion.

A lot of analysis has focussed on why Lukashenko would be mad to agree to this, but there is another possibility to consider; that Lukashenko isn't making the decisions anymore, and has gone from propped up proxy to outright puppet. It would fit with reports that the Belarusian military is now effectively subordinate to the Russian chain of command.

The force grouping forming in Belarus - which appears to have a two triangle tactical mark - does not yet look ready to invade. However, if they were planning to re-invade through Belarus, this is what the earlier stages would look like.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:27 pm

What is the AA like up there for Belarus?

I'm assuming that any movements to something that looked like a final forming up point would be hit by Ukraine, possibly by the Air Force in addition to Artillery (AA depending).
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:28 pm

Attempting to invade anytime before late-spring would be tactically insane wouldn’t it?

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:36 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:28 pm
Attempting to invade anytime before late-spring would be tactically insane wouldn’t it?
FTFY - given what happened to the original larger Russian forces.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:51 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:13 pm
bjn wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:38 pm
Good radios are expensive. Every now and then the media in a western country will have a whinge about why military and in some cases other uniformed service radios are so damn expensive.

There's plenty of evidence out there as to why radios need the kind of features that cost money - integrated encryption and frequency hopping - as it isn't just this case. There's all kinds of radio intercepts from the war, including some where Ukrainians join in with uhm...tactical suggestions. It's also likely the cause of a lot of accurate Ukrainian targetting, including the schwacking of several Russian generals.

Then again, the press once raged about the cost of new five inch guns for warships, noting that they were, apparently, only as long as toothbrushes :roll:
Fwiw, having listened to the Grenfell Tower Inquiry podcast, good radios are hard to find. The LFB didn't have them when the fire broke out, and the sh.tty useless radios they did have went a fair way to messing up their response on the night.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Pishwish
Clardic Fug

Post by Pishwish » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:15 pm

ChrisO's explanation of why the bridge repair will take so long. (Ships/barges needed for repair can't operate when the strait gets windy, foggy, or icy).

wilsontown
Clardic Fug

Post by wilsontown » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:05 pm

Pishwish wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:15 pm
ChrisO's explanation of why the bridge repair will take so long. (Ships/barges needed for repair can't operate when the strait gets windy, foggy, or icy).
I'd also imagine that said ships and barges might occasionally explode for no apparent reason.
"All models are wrong but some are useful" - George Box

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:49 pm

wilsontown wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:05 pm
Pishwish wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:15 pm
I'd also imagine that said ships and barges might occasionally explode for no apparent reason.
Russia is full of careless smokers. And so are Ukrainian graveyards.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:29 am

I often wonder what happened to those sunflower seeds.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:53 am

Wagner group boasted of plans to put in a defensive line to stop Ukrainian advances. Aside from the confirmation that they recognise that Ukraine absolutely has the strategic initiative, there were several other details that stood out.

Firstly, there's a ludicrously vulnerable salient round Lysychansk.

Secondly, if that's the real plan, there's no intention of holding onto northern Luhansk. Aside from the liberation of this area being a significant amount of territory to liberate, it would mean that virtually none of occupied Ukraine, aside from southern Kherson and very southern Zaporizhzhia oblasts and Crimea, was out of GMLRS range. It would also be an ideal springboard for the liberation of Luhansk itself, and a way to flank Russian forces further south in the Donbas.

Also, so far it is much shorter than expected. Scroll down the thread for amusement

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:04 am

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1583764893614092289?cxt=HHwWgsDRufLx1PorAAAA

It looks like it is going for a gun kill. They lost a MiG-29 - pilot apparently ok but the airframe was valuable - in this sort of engagement when debris from the destroyed target got into the plane's engines.

Sidewinder would be a much easier integration on MiG-29s and Sukhoi-27s than HARM was. Just because they aren't trying to dogfight doesn't mean they don't need short range AAMs.

ETA: Another interception, this time of a Shahed-136. See the advantage the missile gives when it comes to not flying through debris compared to a forward-pointing cannon.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:48 am

First link is borked.

I would have thought even a WWII era fighter would have been sufficient to catch up to and bring those drones down. Fast jets and AA missiles are overkill, a fast propeller plane with a canon should do it. A Supertucano or similar. Canon rounds are way cheaper than a Sidewinders and the drones are dumb with have no countermeasures.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:53 am

bjn wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:48 am
First link is borked.
Link text and url were swapped around.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk