Blyatskrieg

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
jimbob
Light of Blast

Re: Blyatskrieg

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:35 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:04 pm
As I've said before, any withdrawl in war in which you have to send aircraft to bomb the kit you abandoned to stop it falling into enemy hands is an absolute clusterf.ck.

Even more so if, unlike the accuracy demonstrated by Ukrainian pilots, your bombers put three out of four bombs into the f.cking sea.
presumably when the aircraft could have flown in pretty optimal bombing runs because presumably Russia could tell if Ukraine had started to occupy Snake Island.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 pm

There's a Twitter account purportedly from a Canadian volunteering in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1 that seems to get a lot of coverage.

At best he's a Walter Mitty character.

But he's possibly making money out of it.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:14 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:04 pm
As I've said before, any withdrawl in war in which you have to send aircraft to bomb the kit you abandoned to stop it falling into enemy hands is an absolute clusterf.ck.

Even more so if, unlike the accuracy demonstrated by Ukrainian pilots, your bombers put three out of four bombs into the f.cking sea.
Merely an opening salvo heralding the denouement of this episode, whereupon Putin confronts his ultimate nemesis, Poseidon.

You heard it here first. He's going full Caligula. (Never go full Caligula.)
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:39 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 pm

Yeahbut, Louise Mensch...!
[Follow the Louie Mensch link... or that time she... or that time she... or that time she... or that time she.]
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:01 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 pm

Account's gone, at last. Was clearly dodgy for a long time. Reposted telegram content and was pretty speedy at it, so could probably have done well at the whole OSINT aggregator thing, but insisted on telling stories and lying. Picked up on it shortly after spotting the account due to wild claims of infiltration missions and so on that just looked far too good to be true. That, coupled with a near complete lack of any footage that wasn't reposted telegram content made me assume it was fake.

Then the account posted footage of the supposed volunteers "rifle". It's worth remembering that the more capable end of the weapons OSINT community is filled with the sort of people who can tell exactly which Warsaw Pact country made that Kalashnikov and when, and have had four months practise of working out that sort of thing from the charred remains of small arms.

The rifle appeared to be an airsoft rifle. The magazines were replicas. One magazine was in one calibre, one was in the other (Kalashnikovs having been made in 7.62x39 and the more modern 5.45x39). The magazines were "jungle taped" to allow very quick change from one to another, yet only one of them would ever fit in any real Kalashnikov. The silencer was of a design that uses a different mounting thread to the one found on a Kalashnikov. Not coincidentally, the silencer was of a sort where relatively cheap airsoft replicas exist.

Amazingly, had this been an imposter from the USA, or one willing to go there to take the fake pictures, it would have been a fair bit harder to get this kind of really clear proof it wasn't real, as he could have just taken the pics with a real rifle.

There are real volunteers out there. Some of them even post online. Notably James Vasquez posted some footage where he was walking around the remains of some burning Russian vehicles, in the presence of armed Ukrainians. Sandra Eira keeps popping up with a mixture of people who conceal their identity pretty well (she had been, but stopped bothering after it got out she was there). Ben Grant is also pretty clearly really there, and has appeared in combat footage.

In general, it's best to presume that without proof, an account is fake, though, especially if they are making bold claims.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:15 am

It looks an awful lot like Ukraine has access to 155mm BONUS artillery rounds. These devious contrivances consist of a carrier shell that is fired from any 155mm gun. From a long barrelled gun, like the CAESAR, Krab or PzH2000, they can hit out to 35km. At a pre-programmed distance, the carrier shell bursts open, releasing a pair of guided submunitions. These hunt for targets, and, on finding them, fire off an explosively-formed penetrator straight through the thin top armour of their target.

It's the kind of weapon that will really even the odds for Ukraine. All the countries that use it have supplied arms to Ukraine, but if I had to guess then the most likely donor would be France, sending them over to go with the CAESAR SPGs.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:54 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:15 am
It looks an awful lot like Ukraine has access to 155mm BONUS artillery rounds. These devious contrivances consist of a carrier shell that is fired from any 155mm gun. From a long barrelled gun, like the CAESAR, Krab or PzH2000, they can hit out to 35km. At a pre-programmed distance, the carrier shell bursts open, releasing a pair of guided submunitions. These hunt for targets, and, on finding them, fire off an explosively-formed penetrator straight through the thin top armour of their target.

It's the kind of weapon that will really even the odds for Ukraine. All the countries that use it have supplied arms to Ukraine, but if I had to guess then the most likely donor would be France, sending them over to go with the CAESAR SPGs.
Correction. Some eagle-eyed OSINT types think they can see a parachute before the submunition fires the EFP, and BONUS uses winglets, not parachutes. That would mean this was the very similar SMArt155, which would have been fired from a PzH2000, and indicates Germany really has got its act together re: meaningful military aid.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:03 am

Some absolutely spectacular images coming out of Snizhne. Snizhne's right by the Russian border, and since the bastards occupied in 2014, the Russians have been using it as a military depot.

Naturally it's already being noted that this spectacular display of secondary explosions occurred on the 4th of July. It's also appeared in this rather amazing video, which I will not attempt to explain. Indeed, I am not certain if I can explain it.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:21 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:03 am
Some absolutely spectacular images coming out of Snizhne. Snizhne's right by the Russian border, and since the bastards occupied in 2014, the Russians have been using it as a military depot.

Naturally it's already being noted that this spectacular display of secondary explosions occurred on the 4th of July. It's also appeared in this rather amazing video, which I will not attempt to explain. Indeed, I am not certain if I can explain it.
lhttps://liveuamap.com/en/2022/4-july-video-of-explosions-at-khimmash-plant-in-snizhne
Video of explosions at Khimmash plant in Snizhne
which I think would make it a rocket engine plant

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:53 pm

jimbob wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:21 pm
EACLucifer wrote:

lhttps://liveuamap.com/en/2022/4-july-video-of-explosions-at-khimmash-plant-in-snizhne
Those secondary explosions - the ones that look like fireworks - remind me a lot of the footage of Bayraktars hunting Buk launchers early in the war north of Kyiv. It also looks a lot like the explosion when a Russian missile decided to turn round and go back and hit the ground near the launcher. There was some discussion based on recent satellite imagery that I annoyingly now can't find suggesting that there may have been missile canisters present, and even rumours this could be related to S-400 use.

So yes, whether or not rocket engines are still made there after eight years of occupation, there's plenty of evidence that rocket engines are among the things that were destroyed.

Given the distance to the frontline (67km) and the M31 rocket's range (somewhere around/above 70-80km), it's pretty clear what did this. HIMARS is having an enormous impact. Every day we wake up to news of more depots blowing up, and that's with only four launchers deployed. They can move around fast by night on the roads behind the frontlines, and because they also reload fast, each launcher can potentially conduct multiple fire missions per night.

This really will hurt the Russians' ability to attack. Every shell blown up behind the front lines is one they cannot fire against Ukrainian defenders or civilians. In order to avoid the threat, they will need to pull their ammunition dumps back from the frontline, and that's a massive problem for them, as they do not have the truck-transport capacity to operate that far away from a railhead. Railways, of course, are another potential target, and indeed a railway bridge was hit near Melitopol recently. In many ways, M31 rockets make up for Ukraine's lack of air interdiction/strike capability, especially in a war where the front lines are moving at WWI speeds.

Currently Ukraine have four launchers, which means four pods worth of rockets. Another four M142 are on their way from the states, and nine M270s are on their way from Britain, Britain+Norway and Germany. That would mean a launch capacity of twenty six pods worth of rockets. Hopefully they can start moving to rail and road bridges and then counter-battery fire. Currently they are working their way through a list of targets that, in some cases, have probably been on the list since 2014 but targetting them just wasn't practicable until now.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:37 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:31 pm
Did the Jackass crew send Steve-O to Ukraine??

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:12 pm

Report of heavy Ukrainian casualties and no sign of western arms in the Donbas: https://twitter.com/christopherjm/statu ... vtmb1GlxAA

The lack of western arms would be consistent with those weapons being given to elite units.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:42 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:12 pm
Report of heavy Ukrainian casualties and no sign of western arms in the Donbas: https://twitter.com/christopherjm/statu ... vtmb1GlxAA
It looks like they were one of the units to make it out of Lysychans'k on foot, which would put them in the thick of some of the heaviest fighting. One criticism I will make of Ukraine is they don't seem to be doing enough to rotate who's on the frontline.
The lack of western arms would be consistent with those weapons being given to elite units.
Who are, of course, best placed to use them when there aren't enough to go around. My hope is that the volunteers training in the UK will be able to relieve those who have been on the front for too long and, while they are at it, go in equipped with western arms, especially anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm

jimbob wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:21 pm
EACLucifer wrote:

Found the chap who suggested rocket canisters, he also thinks possible S400 TEL Others think could be S300 - me, I'm not so familiar with what long range SAMs look like from above, but I can see how it could be the case.

That would fit with the rocket propellant secondaries. Either one would be a seriously high value target. Depending on the missiles used, these long-range SAMs can hit out to 400km/250km respectively. They lack a western counterpart, as western forces prefer to use combat air patrol with fighters rather than use very large and long range SAMs.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:44 pm

HIMARS is hitting hard, hitting accurately, hitting over long range, and hitting again and again and again.

For those wondering about its value, this is an ammunition depot in the middle of Donetsk. For those wondering how we know it's an ammunition depot, those explosions aren't rockets launched by an M142 HIMARS, but are secondary explosions, the ammunition stored in the depot exploding as the depot burns. Earlier footage showed direct hits on the building.

Every day, there's news of more depots gone up, along with oil facilities at occupied-Melitopol's airfield and a railway bridge and train in the same area. This is the effect of just four launchers. There's more on the way - four more from the states, and nine of the related M270, which is slower, but better off-road and carries twice as many rockets as the M142.

The report a little while back was that the Americans wanted to see if Ukraine could use HIMARS effectively before sending more. Well, I think that's been conclusively demonstrated. They've hit multiple high value military targets, and they've not shown any signs of hitting civilians. It seems like this is a weapon that can really even the odds, a weapon that is particularly effective against Russia's slow, ponderous artillery-heavy operations. It's also making the case for ATACMS, with its range of up to 300km, better than any words could. If Ukraine can use M31 rockets effectively and responsibly, is there any reason to think they couldn't or wouldn't use MGM-140 ATACMS effectively and responsibly? It would enable attacks on almost any part of occupied Ukraine, including potentially on the Black Sea Fleet in Sevastopol - whose destruction remains a prerequisite for freeing grain export from Odesa - and the Kerch Straits Bridge, a major artery of Russian materiel to the occupied south.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:29 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:44 pm
HIMARS is hitting hard, hitting accurately, hitting over long range, and hitting again and again and again.

For those wondering about its value, this is an ammunition depot in the middle of Donetsk. For those wondering how we know it's an ammunition depot, those explosions aren't rockets launched by an M142 HIMARS, but are secondary explosions, the ammunition stored in the depot exploding as the depot burns. Earlier footage showed direct hits on the building.

Every day, there's news of more depots gone up, along with oil facilities at occupied-Melitopol's airfield and a railway bridge and train in the same area. This is the effect of just four launchers. There's more on the way - four more from the states, and nine of the related M270, which is slower, but better off-road and carries twice as many rockets as the M142.

The report a little while back was that the Americans wanted to see if Ukraine could use HIMARS effectively before sending more. Well, I think that's been conclusively demonstrated. They've hit multiple high value military targets, and they've not shown any signs of hitting civilians. It seems like this is a weapon that can really even the odds, a weapon that is particularly effective against Russia's slow, ponderous artillery-heavy operations. It's also making the case for ATACMS, with its range of up to 300km, better than any words could. If Ukraine can use M31 rockets effectively and responsibly, is there any reason to think they couldn't or wouldn't use MGM-140 ATACMS effectively and responsibly? It would enable attacks on almost any part of occupied Ukraine, including potentially on the Black Sea Fleet in Sevastopol - whose destruction remains a prerequisite for freeing grain export from Odesa - and the Kerch Straits Bridge, a major artery of Russian materiel to the occupied south.
Followup - damaged ammunition (in this case it looks like the projectile for an RPG-7 that probably launched itself when it's rocket motor got hot enough for the fuel to catch) flung free of the above depot fire.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:59 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:29 pm
EACLucifer wrote:

Followup - damaged ammunition (in this case it looks like the projectile for an RPG-7 that probably launched itself when it's rocket motor got hot enough for the fuel to catch) flung free of the above depot fire.

looks as though it's having an impact on Russian ammunition supply to the front

https://wartranslated.com/lpr-blogger-m ... xplosions/

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:19 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:59 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:29 pm
EACLucifer wrote:

looks as though it's having an impact on Russian ammunition supply to the front

https://wartranslated.com/lpr-blogger-m ... xplosions/
I'm not surprised! Per this report (via Flash), eleven ammunition depots in nine days. Command posts, railway infrastructure, fuel stores and a barracks have also been hit in this period, the latter reportedly with very heavy casualties for the Russians.

Murz and Strelkov can be useful sources despite being extremely bad people, but it's worth remembering that people who are strongly pro-Russian imperialism but anti-Putin (because they think he's bad at Imperialism) do have their own agendas, this isn't the same as an admission by a Putinist.

There's also been an uptick in missile interceptions noted by just about everyone. Arestovych hinted at them having something new. Whether this is NASAMs, as sent by USA/Norway isn't clear yet. Incidentally, if Norway is willing to supply front-line, modern arms, as they are with NASAMs, perhaps some of those ingenious Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bombs they are (jointly) working on could be made and sent?

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:01 pm

Talk now is of a Russian operational pause. That would mean their Donbas offensive has culminated after about eighty days of slow, grinding battle, without a huge amount of territory to show for it.

It is entirely possible that the sudden destruction of so much ammunition storage has hurt the ability for the Russians to advance, as frankly their tactics are those of the Somme, save that they have the artillery to make it sort of work.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:04 pm

For those unfamiliar with the term, by the way, an operational pause does not mean they've given up or been beaten yet, it means they are pausing to catch their breath and replenish depleted supplies of personnel and equipment.

It's a bit like someone walking up a dozen flights of stairs stopping for a rest - it doesn't mean they are then going to give up.

On the other hand, time likely favours Ukraine, unless military aid notably slows down from its current rate.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:34 pm

I’ve seen reports of several more HIMARS systems being in theatre than the original four.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:43 pm

bjn wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:34 pm
I’ve seen reports of several more HIMARS systems being in theatre than the original four.
And rumours of M270, as well. The Americans had already committed another four, so it could be them arriving, but not all nations announce their aid in advance.

It's also to be remembered that four M142 HIMARS can, if appropriately handled, use their superb on-road mobility and ability to reload in five minutes to seem like they are in multiple places at once.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:27 pm

Just when I thought Germany was getting more sensible, Christine Lambrecht has pronounced some nonsense on the use of Flakpanzer Gepard - specifically saying it should only be used to protect infrastructure targets.

This is a role for which weapons like this have been obsolete for since about the end of the second world war. Gepard uses twin autocannon to attack close range air targets (and is has substantial utility against everything on the ground except an MBTs frontal armour too). It can hit drones, and it can hit helicopters. It will only be any use against cruise missiles if they fly within its (very short) range, and entirely useless against ballistic missiles. Its job is to protect manoeuvre formations from helicopters, and it can be used to protect them from drones, too. It is not suitable as a point defence system in the modern era.

It really makes me wonder what they are thinking, and indeed, if they are thinking. They've supplied PzH2000s and apparently SMArt155 guided rounds, and are supposedly supplying M270 MLRS (albeit in small quantities). These are exceptionally capable offensive weapons, with the former being the most advanced SPG in the world, more or less, and the latter having as much firepower as two HIMARS, yet apparently using Gepards for their intended purpose, and supplying Fuchs APCs would be an escalation :roll:

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:43 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:27 pm
Just when I thought Germany was getting more sensible, Christine Lambrecht has pronounced some nonsense on the use of Flakpanzer Gepard - specifically saying it should only be used to protect infrastructure targets.

This is a role for which weapons like this have been obsolete for since about the end of the second world war. Gepard uses twin autocannon to attack close range air targets (and is has substantial utility against everything on the ground except an MBTs frontal armour too). It can hit drones, and it can hit helicopters. It will only be any use against cruise missiles if they fly within its (very short) range, and entirely useless against ballistic missiles. Its job is to protect manoeuvre formations from helicopters, and it can be used to protect them from drones, too. It is not suitable as a point defence system in the modern era.

It really makes me wonder what they are thinking, and indeed, if they are thinking. They've supplied PzH2000s and apparently SMArt155 guided rounds, and are supposedly supplying M270 MLRS (albeit in small quantities). These are exceptionally capable offensive weapons, with the former being the most advanced SPG in the world, more or less, and the latter having as much firepower as two HIMARS, yet apparently using Gepards for their intended purpose, and supplying Fuchs APCs would be an escalation :roll:
Is something new she's said? She was mocked a few weeks ago for saying Germany is not sending tanks to Ukraine because Gepards aren't really tanks. But then she wasn't placing limits on what they could be used for, just explaining (maybe incorrectly, I don't know) that they are used in frontline fighting.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:59 pm

WFJ wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:43 pm
Is something new she's said? She was mocked a few weeks ago for saying Germany is not sending tanks to Ukraine because Gepards aren't really tanks. But then she wasn't placing limits on what they could be used for, just explaining (maybe incorrectly, I don't know) that they are not used in frontline fighting.
Missed edit window