The Light - The Uncensored Truth

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
IvanV
Stummy Beige

The Light - The Uncensored Truth

Post by IvanV » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:29 pm

I found a pile of copies of a newspaper calling itself The Light, subtitled The uncensored truth, in a small mediaeval church in a posh village in Herefordshire.

I was expecting it to be some kind of religious tract. The religious have their own oxymoronic meaning of the word "truth". But no, it was the kind of "truth" conspiracy theorists push, full of "covid is a hoax", etc. What was it doing in a church?

If you want a giggle, they have a website. Where Vernon Coleman's name is prominent. Indeed that is the only name that is prominent, though I have no reason to suppose he is behind it. The website doesn't say who is behind it. A little googling found that the company that published it was wound up compulsorily by Companies House a few weeks ago, and the Graun says that it is the product of a guy from Manchester called Darren Smith aka Nesbitt.

Within the paper itself, the contributors give only their first name and the first letter of their surname.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Re: The Light - The Uncensored Truth

Post by jimbob » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:45 pm

IvanV wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:29 pm
I found a pile of copies of a newspaper calling itself The Light, subtitled The uncensored truth, in a small mediaeval church in a posh village in Herefordshire.

I was expecting it to be some kind of religious tract. The religious have their own oxymoronic meaning of the word "truth". But no, it was the kind of "truth" conspiracy theorists push, full of "covid is a hoax", etc. What was it doing in a church?

If you want a giggle, they have a website. Where Vernon Coleman's name is prominent. Indeed that is the only name that is prominent, though I have no reason to suppose he is behind it. The website doesn't say who is behind it. A little googling found that the company that published it was wound up compulsorily by Companies House a few weeks ago, and the Graun says that it is the product of a guy from Manchester called Darren Smith aka Nesbitt.

Within the paper itself, the contributors give only their first name and the first letter of their surname.
Came across it earlier.

Lots of disinformation spread from this.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:31 pm

Is the best idea to take all the copies in one go? Stick them in recycling, obvs.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:52 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:31 pm
Is the best idea to take all the copies in one go? Stick them in recycling, obvs.
Unfortunately it only later occurred to me that I could do with a bit more fire-lighting paper.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:19 pm

Someone left a stack of them in the League of Fiends cafe at the hospital I work at.

They've been there for a few days

CF

(On an unrelated note I accidentally spilled my mug of tea whilst I was in the League of Fiends today. Thankfully a stack of papers left on the table stopped it going all over the floor)

TAFKAsoveda
Clardic Fug

Post by TAFKAsoveda » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:26 pm

IvanV wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:29 pm

There was a group of people with placards about various conspiracy stuff and advising people to visit “the light paper” outside the Courtyard Theatre in Hereford the other week.
I took great pleasure in putting on a mask just before I walked past them and pointing out their lies,

TAFKAsoveda
Clardic Fug

Post by TAFKAsoveda » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:27 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:19 pm
Someone left a stack of them in the League of Fiends cafe at the hospital I work at.

They've been there for a few days

CF

(On an unrelated note I accidentally spilled my mug of tea whilst I was in the League of Fiends today. Thankfully a stack of papers left on the table stopped it going all over the floor)
That was lucky

quitethrilling
Navel Tan

Post by quitethrilling » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:49 pm

I note with pleasure on page 24 of the most recent issue they are literally carrying ads for tinfoil hats winter beanies

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:39 pm

Ah f.ck. Now you've got me looking at some of the ads.

I really must get one of those Grander Water things, an absolute bargain!
Time for a big fat one.