Bad news for people with Student Loans

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Light of Blast

Bad news for people with Student Loans

Post by Gfamily » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:05 am

'Low earners'' interest rate for Student Loans to increase from 1.5% to 9% for 6 months because of inflation.
For people earning over about £50K it'll increase from 4.5% to an eye watering 12%

Then, because of a combination of inflation and a 'cap' it'll vary between 0% and 9% for the next couple of years.

https://ifs.org.uk/publications/16024
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Re: Bad news for people with Student Loans

Post by IvanV » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:16 am

Gfamily wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:05 am
'Low earners'' interest rate for Student Loans to increase from 1.5% to 9% for 6 months because of inflation.
For people earning over about £50K it'll increase from 4.5% to an eye watering 12%

Then, because of a combination of inflation and a 'cap' it'll vary between 0% and 9% for the next couple of years.

https://ifs.org.uk/publications/16024
Meanwhile, out in the real world, "real interest rates" (ie market interest rate minus inflation rate) are negative, very negative, because market interest rates are a lot less than the inflation rate.

But the government gets to set a positive real interest rate for student loans, regardless of the actual market interest rate.

I suppose you could argue that student loans are really a taxation/redistribution instrument, and so actual market interest rates are irrelevant. The government could have chosen to relieve the pain of current economic circumstances on lower income people, but it has chosen not to.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:37 pm

Oh well the good news is at least energy prices and taxes are low at the moment so we all have copious amounts of free cash just lying around everywhere.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:36 pm

As the IFS document suggests, it's unlikely that the interest rate rise will result in HMRC recouping any more money from students than they otherwise would. All that will happen is that the total amount of debt that has to be written off will increase. It'll probably put prospective students off applying for university though.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:13 am

Interestingly SLC have yet to tell me this.

I'm not too bothered, as I'm very unlikely to ever earn enough to pay it all back before it gets written off, so it just sits there growing like a bad joke. I think I've repaid about 50p since 2014.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.