BDFBFFC6-9AD1-45CF-804B-ACB97E586B6A.jpeg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 7567 times

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:35 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:22 pm
BDFBFFC6-9AD1-45CF-804B-ACB97E586B6A.jpeg
That's nearly as cursed as the Come To Daddy video.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:40 pm

I've twice now clicked on an x at the top right of a small window in an attempt to close it, but it has the opposite effect.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:12 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:38 pm

Twitter Blue, which Elon Musk is currently rebranding to X Blue, now includes the option to hide the notorious blue checkmark. Twitter Blue subscribers recently started noticing the “hide your blue checkmark” option on the web and in mobile apps, offering the ability to hide that they’re paying for Twitter
https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/2/23816 ... eck-option

Perhaps they should supply the checkmark in a brown paper bag.
It's "X Premium" now, which isn't exactly a subscription name I'd want people seeing on my itemised bill...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:22 pm

Meanwhile, Threads has lost 80% of its user base since it started.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:24 pm

I believe the new name is Xitter
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:16 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:24 pm
I believe the new name is Xitter
With the X pronounced "sh", Chinese-style

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:13 pm

So it turns out that Musk really is the new Henry Ford.

Unfortunately in the promoting antisemitism sense, not the efficiently making cars sense.

He's joined in a far right campaign against the Anti-Defamation League because they objected to a far right dickhead trying to claim that Leo Frank was guilty of what he was lynched for (which he wasn't, by the way). He seems to think that the reason advertisers are leaving is because the ADL are saying it's bad that their adverts are turning up next to nazi shite, rather than because advertisers can work out for themselves that it's bad that their adverts are turning up next to nazi shite.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:02 pm

And maybe people don't want their information and posting history to be given to murderers like the Saudi regime owners of Xitter.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:08 pm

One poor bugger has already been condemned to death by the Saudis for mildly criticising them on Twitter. He had an anonymous account but the Saudis found out regardless. Musk has been strangely silent on such a gross violation of free speech.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:13 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:13 pm
He's joined in a far right campaign against the Anti-Defamation League because they objected to a far right dickhead trying to claim that Leo Frank was guilty of what he was lynched for (which he wasn't, by the way). He seems to think that the reason advertisers are leaving is because the ADL are saying it's bad that their adverts are turning up next to nazi shite, rather than because advertisers can work out for themselves that it's bad that their adverts are turning up next to nazi shite.
I just had a look to see what the right wing griftosphere were saying after Musk's prompt.

There not even trying to hide the Antisemitism.

Didn't even go that far right.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:16 pm

Musk officially becomes Bond villain and cuts of Starlink access to Ukrainian drones according to new Walter Isaacson book

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics ... index.html
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:16 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:16 pm
Musk officially becomes Bond villain and cuts of Starlink access to Ukrainian drones according to new Walter Isaacson book

Discussion here

General political paranoia and a tendency to antisemitism also seem pretty big risk factors for Russophilia.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:21 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:16 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:16 pm

Discussion here

General political paranoia and a tendency to antisemitism also seem pretty big risk factors for Russophilia.
Ah cheers.

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:20 pm

Planning to charge all users.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... sers-posts

I regret to say that I still access Xitter, often because of links on this forum, but also because of a few Ukrainian-related posters I find helpful. However, I'm not giving Musk any money under any circumstances. I don't know what the best thing to do is: there doesn't seem to be a consensus on an alternatives

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:35 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:20 pm

I regret to say that I still access Xitter, often because of links on this forum, but also because of a few Ukrainian-related posters I find helpful. However, I'm not giving Musk any money under any circumstances. I don't know what the best thing to do is: there doesn't seem to be a consensus on an alternatives
I'm in a similar position. I still use it even though I wish I didn't. Among others, I follow a few WWT and RSPB sites and they share bird sightings which are really helpful if I'm planning a trip. Slimbridge has spoonbills right now and I really want to see one (though I won't be able to get there for at least a month :( ). I'm not sure where I'm going to get that sort of info once I leave as I barely use FB, can't get on with Instragram and all the new alternatives seem variations on the hell that Twitter's become.

I refuse to try Threads until they comply with EU GDPR rules. I know we're not in the EU but being unable to comply with them when other companies manage it seems a huge red flag to me. BlueSky sounds like a clone of Twitter and the only reason it's not as toxic yet is because it's still invite only. I quite like Mastodon but struggle to get my head around it and barely use it currently.

I found Twitter really informative and have managed to follow a load of really interesting people I'd never have found otherwise. I'm really sad that's it's ending this way, but also kinda grateful. I've hated it since Musk took over. My feed is becoming less interesting as people leave but I can't stop checking it. Putting it behind a paywall will be the final nail in the coffin for me and allow me to delete my account without worrying I'm going to miss out on useful posts.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:20 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:35 pm
Allo V Psycho wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:20 pm
...I'm really sad that's it's ending this way...
I think if he does paywall it, it will indeed be the end.

Seems more like Musk thinking aloud to see what reaction he gets, and of course get free publicity. Like Ryanair's O'Leary talking about terrible things he was thinking about, which would never happen, like charging to use the toilet, introduce cheaper standing room, charge passengers by weight, ban hold luggage, etc.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:46 pm

I have noticed that Musk says stupid sh.t when he's in trouble for something. He seems to have learnt PR from an online course about dead cats.

It may be just that he gets in trouble a lot and also says stupid sh.t a lot (the two may be related), but I can't help thinking "Is he distracting from Netanyahu asking him to tackle Antisemitism, or is there another lawsuit or embarrassing article in the works?"

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:44 pm

Deciding whether to Give X money is one thing - thinking that you'd also be giving your bank details is on a completely different scale - considering how Musk sees a future role of X Corp as a complete financial framework for the internet. And how he's happy to f.ck things up before tracking back and doing things properly.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:53 pm

Well Ben Collins of NBC has been chasing Musk for a response on Twitter recently and everyone wondered what it was about.

Wonder no longer.

It looks like running Twitter into the ground was the actual plan - many people thought that but seeing it all written down is jaw dropping

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/was-elon-m ... rcna118490

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:13 am

That's completely bizarre. It reads like Musk threw billions down the toilet to fund some ex-Trump-speechwriter guy's personal elaborate revenge plan for his grudge against the ADL. It hardly seems plausible such a weird little tail could be wagging the dog.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:16 am

It looks like Bluesky is winning the competition as the Twitter replacement amongst the people I follow. People are acting as nodes to exchange invitations and groups are crowdsourcing invites, and it looks like a critical mass of people are moving over there. I have an invite if anyone wants one.

We'll have to wait and see whether Bluesky takes over from Twitter.

In my limited experience, compared to Mastodon, Bluesky also severely lacks diversity which will need to change if I'm to spend much more time there. I guess early tech adopters are pretty similar whatever the platform. But in contrast to Masto, Bluesky appears to function as an open network (eg its possible to use search to find people) and it has a sense of permanence and consistency. Another advantage is that unlike Masto people don't seem to spend much of their time talking about social media platforms and other software.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:56 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:16 am
It looks like Bluesky is winning the competition as the Twitter replacement amongst the people I follow. People are acting as nodes to exchange invitations and groups are crowdsourcing invites, and it looks like a critical mass of people are moving over there. I have an invite if anyone wants one.

In my limited experience, compared to Mastodon, Bluesky also severely lacks diversity which will need to change if I'm to spend much more time there. I guess early tech adopters are pretty similar whatever the platform. But in contrast to Masto, Bluesky appears to function as an open network (eg its possible to use search to find people) and it has a sense of permanence and consistency. Another advantage is that unlike Masto people don't seem to spend much of their time talking about social media platforms and other software.
Sure, I’ll have one please. I wandered over to mastodon, joined a server that seemed likely, but then the admin was involved in some bizarre in-fighting with other servers and it got blocked by loads of them. I was put off by the whole experience. Haven’t been on in months.

Don’t want to start with Threads.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:01 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:16 am

I'm not sure I want to get onto BlueSky, another Jack Dorsey platform, that man is still an arse, even if not quite in the Musk level of arseness.

Full search is a thing that's recently been enabled on Mastodon, but you should have already been able to search for userids/display names. What you see comes down to who you follow on Mastodon. The posts I see about software on Mastodon are usually because I follow quite a few tech and software folks (being my profession), I see only a slight amount of noise out side of that. There is a degree of ragging on Musk/X/Twitter, but thats because most of the software folks I follow are fascinated by the destruction of a tech company. Outside of that I follow quite a few other folks, eg: on renewable energy, politics, the war ukraine, and their posts are aren't social media navel gazing. eg: Michael Mann, Jan Rosenau, Anders Puck Nielsen, Zach Weinersmith, Cory Doctorow and many more.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/21/2388 ... ctions-4-2

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:17 am

Maybe I’ll try again with mastodon, it’s just a bit wearying going through it all again. I’m getting too old for this crap.