tw.tter

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6193
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:43 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm
the "forum swear filter" phenomenon ;)
Poo pooo po po poo.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9992
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: tw.tter

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:44 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:43 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm
the "forum swear filter" phenomenon ;)
Poo pooo po po poo.
Baby Shark?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6193
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:45 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:44 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:43 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:22 pm
the "forum swear filter" phenomenon ;)
Poo pooo po po poo.
Baby Shark?
It's the best I could do for a sweary Phenomenon.

User avatar
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2897
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: In Sumerian Haze

Re: tw.tter

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Image

Hard to sum um Musk better than this exchange. Pathetic attempt to be funny, which fails. Claiming credit for other peoples work and acting like him buying something means he created it. And desperately trying to dunk on someone who is a target for unhinged rightwing obession*.



*There's a lot of legitimate criticisms of AOC. I'm a big critic of her, in fact. But there's criticism, and there's unhinged obsession, and a lot of overly-online reactionaries and rightwingers demonstrate the latter regarding her.

User avatar
nekomatic
Dorkwood
Posts: 1102
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by nekomatic » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:26 pm

Is everyone else getting a kind of last day of term feeling about the place at the moment?
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:30 pm

That sums it up nicely

User avatar
Brightonian
Dorkwood
Posts: 1204
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Location: Usually UK, often France and Ireland

Re: tw.tter

Post by Brightonian » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:28 pm

If Twitter goes under, or even if it just gets flooded with fake accounts, then it's bad news for managing public emergencies: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... gers-warn/

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6193
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:01 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:28 pm
If Twitter goes under, or even if it just gets flooded with fake accounts, then it's bad news for managing public emergencies: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... gers-warn/
Maybe public safety systems shouldn't be built on a monolithic private corporation that has no interest in public safety?

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9992
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: tw.tter

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:47 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:01 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:28 pm
If Twitter goes under, or even if it just gets flooded with fake accounts, then it's bad news for managing public emergencies: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... gers-warn/
Maybe public safety systems shouldn't be built on a monolithic private corporation that has no interest in public safety?
100%.

Twitter clearly showed the utility of that kind of rapid, far-reaching, brief communication. But I don't think important public services should be run to drive advertiser clicks.

If Twitter dies it will be a huge setback for a lot of people with little other voice. It's been tangibly useful sharing both my work, and local conservation issues with the wider community. And I was a late-adopter, low-frequency user.

However, I think there's also an opportunity to "take back control" and make the service more robust in the long term. As well as me customisable privacy options, etc.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9992
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: tw.tter

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:49 pm

But anyway, what's way more important is how hilarious it is watching a big baby livestream himself crapping in his hands then rubbing it all over his stupid privileged face.

He's getting trolled like a total loser as well.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9992
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: tw.tter

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:53 pm

I mean, I love my job, but if my boss gave me the choice between "hardcore" working-all-hours to salvage his clusterf.ck or a paid holiday till February I'd be out the door like sh.t off a shovel.

There'd probably be more complaints about similarly abusive exploitation at Tesla and SpaceX, but maybe they have way more fanboys amongst the immigrants and people who need healthcare.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9992
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: tw.tter

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:55 pm

Imagine thinking you'd had an amazing idea, announcing it to the world, only to get pwned by Doja Cat and somebody posting Mario goatse
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

User avatar
Grumble
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3771
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by Grumble » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:09 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:53 pm
I mean, I love my job, but if my boss gave me the choice between "hardcore" working-all-hours to salvage his clusterf.ck or a paid holiday till February I'd be out the door like sh.t off a shovel.

There'd probably be more complaints about similarly abusive exploitation at Tesla and SpaceX, but maybe they have way more fanboys amongst the immigrants and people who need healthcare.
The American relationship with paid time off is unhealthy to start with
A bit churlish

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9992
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: tw.tter

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:15 am

Or maybe the long-term more robust thing in this era of omnicrisis is that a large chunk of twitterers stop posting and start organising in actual proper real life properly? A huge load of extrovert professionals with time on their hands could jumpstart the most insufferable working-class revolution we've seen yet.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9992
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: tw.tter

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:16 am

Grumble wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:09 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:53 pm
I mean, I love my job, but if my boss gave me the choice between "hardcore" working-all-hours to salvage his clusterf.ck or a paid holiday till February I'd be out the door like sh.t off a shovel.

There'd probably be more complaints about similarly abusive exploitation at Tesla and SpaceX, but maybe they have way more fanboys amongst the immigrants and people who need healthcare.
The American relationship with paid time off is unhealthy to start with
Generally true, but apparently workers' rights are quite decent in California, where Twitter is based, which may prove hilariously expensive for Mr Musk
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6193
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:21 am

Grumble wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:09 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:53 pm
I mean, I love my job, but if my boss gave me the choice between "hardcore" working-all-hours to salvage his clusterf.ck or a paid holiday till February I'd be out the door like sh.t off a shovel.

There'd probably be more complaints about similarly abusive exploitation at Tesla and SpaceX, but maybe they have way more fanboys amongst the immigrants and people who need healthcare.
The American relationship with paid time off is unhealthy to start with
When you have to get and keep a job to get health insurance, there's not much scope for negotiating paid vacation.

User avatar
jimbob
Light of Blast
Posts: 4434
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: tw.tter

Post by jimbob » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:23 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:53 pm
I mean, I love my job, but if my boss gave me the choice between "hardcore" working-all-hours to salvage his clusterf.ck or a paid holiday till February I'd be out the door like sh.t off a shovel.

There'd probably be more complaints about similarly abusive exploitation at Tesla and SpaceX, but maybe they have way more fanboys amongst the immigrants and people who need healthcare.


A holiday until Feb, paid upfront, or staying for worse conditions for a boss who has demonstrated incompetence and contempt for you, and in a company tha he's said might go under, so staying, you're likely to end up doing some work for nothing.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
jimbob
Light of Blast
Posts: 4434
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: tw.tter

Post by jimbob » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:25 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:16 am
Grumble wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:09 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:53 pm
I mean, I love my job, but if my boss gave me the choice between "hardcore" working-all-hours to salvage his clusterf.ck or a paid holiday till February I'd be out the door like sh.t off a shovel.

There'd probably be more complaints about similarly abusive exploitation at Tesla and SpaceX, but maybe they have way more fanboys amongst the immigrants and people who need healthcare.
The American relationship with paid time off is unhealthy to start with
Generally true, but apparently workers' rights are quite decent in California, where Twitter is based, which may prove hilariously expensive for Mr Musk
Even more so in Ireland.

And Payroll compliance can also get expensive as can failing to deal with US tax rules. Lots of legal elephant puts he's dug for himself.
Last edited by jimbob on Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6193
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:27 am

jimbob wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:23 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:53 pm
I mean, I love my job, but if my boss gave me the choice between "hardcore" working-all-hours to salvage his clusterf.ck or a paid holiday till February I'd be out the door like sh.t off a shovel.

There'd probably be more complaints about similarly abusive exploitation at Tesla and SpaceX, but maybe they have way more fanboys amongst the immigrants and people who need healthcare.


A holiday until Feb, paid upfront, or staying for worse conditions for a boss who has demonstrated incompetence and contempt for you, and in a company tha he's said might go under, so staying, you're likely to end up doing some work for nothing.
At a company where the entire payroll and tax department have quit, so you might not even get paid next week.

User avatar
jimbob
Light of Blast
Posts: 4434
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: tw.tter

Post by jimbob » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:37 am

Yup, my signature seems apt
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9992
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: tw.tter

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:57 am

he's like an after version if a magic genie said I could swap an IQ point for a billion dollars pounds each
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

monkey
Dorkwood
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by monkey » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:15 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:57 am
he's like an after version if a magic genie said I could swap an IQ point for a billion dollars pounds each
Not as much difference between dollars and pounds as there used to be.

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6193
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:40 am

Idiot is now running a Twitter poll on whether to let Trump back on.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 5992
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: tw.tter

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:32 am

dyqik wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:40 am
Idiot is now running a Twitter poll on whether to let Trump back on.
I’m wondering whether Trump being allowed back on would be a Musk ploy to try to avoid prosecution. Both got Twitter and for himself.

temptar
Fuzzable
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by temptar » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:16 am

I can’t see how Twitter is in compliance with its FTC consent decree. The knives must be getting sharpened there.

Post Reply