tw.tter

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bjn
Stummy Beige

Re: tw.tter

Post by bjn » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:23 am

Grumble wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:17 am
Maybe I’ll try again with mastodon, it’s just a bit wearying going through it all again. I’m getting too old for this crap.
It's who you follow, not the platform. If you can find the folk you want to hear from on there, all is good, if not, don't bother. I'm happy enough so far.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:26 am

bjn wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:23 am
Grumble wrote:
Maybe I’ll try again with mastodon, it’s just a bit wearying going through it all again. I’m getting too old for this crap.
It's who you follow, not the platform. If you can find the folk you want to hear from on there, all is good, if not, don't bother. I'm happy enough so far.
Yeah, but when you find the server you joined has been de-syndicated it’s harder to follow people
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:07 am

Grumble wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:26 am
bjn wrote:
Grumble wrote:
Yeah, but when you find the server you joined has been de-syndicated it’s harder to follow people
What server is that?
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:11 am

jimbob wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:07 am
Grumble wrote:
bjn wrote:

What server is that?
qoto

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:14 am

Grumble wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:11 am
jimbob wrote:
Grumble wrote:

What server is that?
qoto
Yes, maybe I should move too. Not looked into how easy it is

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:44 am

bjn wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:01 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:16 am
It looks like Bluesky is winning the competition as the Twitter replacement amongst the people I follow. People are acting as nodes to exchange invitations and groups are crowdsourcing invites, and it looks like a critical mass of people are moving over there. I have an invite if anyone wants one.

We'll have to wait and see whether Bluesky takes over from Twitter.

In my limited experience, compared to Mastodon, Bluesky also severely lacks diversity which will need to change if I'm to spend much more time there. I guess early tech adopters are pretty similar whatever the platform. But in contrast to Masto, Bluesky appears to function as an open network (eg its possible to use search to find people) and it has a sense of permanence and consistency. Another advantage is that unlike Masto people don't seem to spend much of their time talking about social media platforms and other software.

Full search is a thing that's recently been enabled on Mastodon, but you should have already been able to search for userids/display names. What you see comes down to who you follow on Mastodon.
I only followed a handful of people on Masto because hardly anyone I followed on Twitter moved over, and the lack of a search function meant that it was not practical to find other people who were interested in things wanted to read about.

Interesting that Masto now has full search, I thought that it had been rejected on principle. I'll have a look at it.
bjn wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:01 am
The posts I see about software on Mastodon are usually because I follow quite a few tech and software folks (being my profession), I see only a slight amount of noise out side of that. There is a degree of ragging on Musk/X/Twitter, but thats because most of the software folks I follow are fascinated by the destruction of a tech company. Outside of that I follow quite a few other folks, eg: on renewable energy, politics, the war ukraine, and their posts are aren't social media navel gazing. eg: Michael Mann, Jan Rosenau, Anders Puck Nielsen, Zach Weinersmith, Cory Doctorow and many more.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/21/2388 ... ctions-4-2
I did though sign onto a couple of servers which have nothing to do with tech subjects and I scroll through those feeds from time to time. But a lot of the conversation is still about different social media platforms and their creators. Of course Musk's antics make for high drama, but there is a limit.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:54 am

Grumble wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:56 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:16 am
It looks like Bluesky is winning the competition as the Twitter replacement amongst the people I follow. People are acting as nodes to exchange invitations and groups are crowdsourcing invites, and it looks like a critical mass of people are moving over there. I have an invite if anyone wants one.

We'll have to wait and see whether Bluesky takes over from Twitter.

In my limited experience, compared to Mastodon, Bluesky also severely lacks diversity which will need to change if I'm to spend much more time there. I guess early tech adopters are pretty similar whatever the platform. But in contrast to Masto, Bluesky appears to function as an open network (eg its possible to use search to find people) and it has a sense of permanence and consistency. Another advantage is that unlike Masto people don't seem to spend much of their time talking about social media platforms and other software.
Sure, I’ll have one please. I wandered over to mastodon, joined a server that seemed likely, but then the admin was involved in some bizarre in-fighting with other servers and it got blocked by loads of them. I was put off by the whole experience. Haven’t been on in months.

Don’t want to start with Threads.
Sent you a PM with the code.

Masto server I’m on just announced that they’ll delete all boosts, bookmarks and favourites relating to other servers that are more than a couple of years old. I’m not bothered because I don’t use it very much. But it all seems a bit random.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:22 am

I’m on bluesky as rhubarbgrumble now

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:20 pm

Grumble wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:22 am
I’m on bluesky as rhubarbgrumble now
Just followed you and Woodchopper

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:14 pm

I’ve only been on Bluesky a couple of weeks (ta Stephanie for the code, my user name is same as here) and already there seems to have been a big influx of social science / economics / policy type people, so it has definitely graduated from the swapping cat pictures stage. I’m trying to go cold turkey on Twitter with mixed success, which means that each time I do go back I have half a dozen tweets tagging me into some crypto scam or other to deal with. :x

I guess Bluesky will have to navigate the same issues of scaling, usability, moderation and ultimately profitability that Twitter did, but with any luck benefiting from its previous experience. Then the billionaire a..eh.le du jour will buy it and we’ll all have to start again.

I currently have an invite code if anyone’s short.
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:44 am

nekomatic wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:14 pm
I’ve only been on Bluesky a couple of weeks (ta Stephanie for the code, my user name is same as here) and already there seems to have been a big influx of social science / economics / policy type people, so it has definitely graduated from the swapping cat pictures stage.
My impression as well, and I'm one of them. This may be of interest to people who are into that kind of thing https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:21 am

On any social media you get out what you put in. There are always well meaning types who repost hateful, or stupid, or racist, or flat earth, creationist twaddle, to draw attention to it and if you engage with that in any way, you end up with even more of it, thanks to the algorithm.

I made a mistake on tw.tter when I engaged with second amendment types and got flooded with similar content. Even on threads it's starting.

At the moment my Twitter feed is relatively free of toxic politics after a week or careful pruning, unfollowing and blocking. And I get no crypto scams, never have.

Even on Facebook I am ruthless at blocking the unfeasibly pretty young things who want to follow you but the have no other friends to show or content on their profile. You know it's a scam.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:52 pm

Grumble wrote:
jimbob wrote:
Grumble wrote:

What server is that?
qoto
oh yeah, I had a bunch of weirdos from qoto. And a run in with their admin lol. it's never been liked much as a server
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:53 pm

nekomatic wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:14 pm
I’ve only been on Bluesky a couple of weeks (ta Stephanie for the code, my user name is same as here) and already there seems to have been a big influx of social science / economics / policy type people, so it has definitely graduated from the swapping cat pictures stage. I’m trying to go cold turkey on Twitter with mixed success, which means that each time I do go back I have half a dozen tweets tagging me into some crypto scam or other to deal with. :x

I guess Bluesky will have to navigate the same issues of scaling, usability, moderation and ultimately profitability that Twitter did, but with any luck benefiting from its previous experience. Then the billionaire a..eh.le du jour will buy it and we’ll all have to start again.

I currently have an invite code if anyone’s short.
you are very welcome. I'm having quite a lot of fun on there, but I always do at the beginning of these things

ETA: btw I do have codes if folk want them. follow me at your own risk, mind

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:01 pm

She sh.t posts here,
She sh.t posts there,
Stephanie sh.t posts everywhere.
Is she an outcast?
Is she a jewel?
What’s for certain, shes nobody’s fool.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:05 pm

bjn wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:01 pm
She sh.t posts here,
She sh.t posts there,
Stephanie sh.t posts everywhere.
Is she an outcast?
Is she a jewel?
What’s for certain, shes nobody’s fool.
this is true, you've seen the immense quality of my mastodon posts

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:50 pm

It turns out not having the headline and just a picture on a news link annoys me.

You can't even see what the url says because you get one of them t.co addresses.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:52 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:52 pm
Grumble wrote:
jimbob wrote:

What server is that?
qoto
oh yeah, I had a bunch of weirdos from qoto. And a run in with their admin lol. it's never been liked much as a server
I couldn’t work out how to just shift server, and found the whole thing tedious and gave up. Also Twitter didn’t die, so the incentive to try harder wasn’t there.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:21 am

Grumble wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:52 pm
Stephanie wrote:
Grumble wrote:

qoto
I couldn’t work out how to just shift server, and found the whole thing tedious and gave up. Also Twitter didn’t die, so the incentive to try harder wasn’t there.
I think you just create a new account, and then somewhere in the settings you can move over all your followers, mutuals etc, from the old account. that said I've never tried it

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:35 am

Stephanie wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:21 am
Grumble wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:52 pm
Stephanie wrote:

I think you just create a new account, and then somewhere in the settings you can move over all your followers, mutuals etc, from the old account. that said I've never tried it
I just have, it seems to have worked pretty well

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:47 am

I have seen a claim that Visa is a returning advertiser, spending $10 over 12 weeks.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:18 am

I don't know about how to do it in an app, but for browser, to disable autoplay on videos, go to one's profile, then "settings and support", then "settings and privacy" then "accessibility, display and languages" and finally "accessibility" and set autoplay to "never".

Probably a good idea to do this right now, sadly.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:02 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:47 am
I have seen a claim that Visa is a returning advertiser, spending $10 over 12 weeks.
https://www.mediamatters.org/twitter/li ... ers%20than
. Additionally, in the 12 weeks of Yaccarino’s tenure as CEO, the majority of the company’s top 100 advertisers pre-Musk spent a fraction of what they did in the 12 weeks prior to Musk’s acquisition.

For example, Visa — which Yaccarino cited as an example of a “returning” advertiser — has spent just $10 in the past 12 weeks, compared to roughly $77,500 in the 12 weeks before Musk bought Twitter.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:31 pm

I do have a bluesky invite code if anyone wants

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:06 pm

jimbob wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:31 pm
I do have a bluesky invite code if anyone wants
How quickly do new sign-ups get their own invite code? MrsG has signed up using Gfamdottir's invite, so I'll hang on until I can use MrsG's.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!