tw.tter

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Pishwish
Stargoon
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by Pishwish » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:53 pm

https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/28/post- ... tive-a16z/ I did read some criticism of the owner or financial backer, but I can't remember where I read it.

Herainestold
After Pie
Posts: 1961
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by Herainestold » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:43 pm

Apparently Post vets applicants for journalistic credentials, so not just anybody can sign up.
Some have been refused, but not sure how you get an opportunity anyway
Masking forever
Putin is a monster.
Russian socialism will rise again

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6463
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:13 pm

Pishwish wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:53 pm
https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/28/post- ... tive-a16z/ I did read some criticism of the owner or financial backer, but I can't remember where I read it.
According to that, it's funded by one of Musk's backers in the Twitter purchase. Either they are spreading their eggs between baskets, or doing something nefarious.

User avatar
Gfamily
Light of Blast
Posts: 4574
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: tw.tter

Post by Gfamily » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:42 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:11 pm
Thanks, I'd Googled 'post social media' but of course got stuff about posting to social media. I did look at the Android app store too but couldn't find anything, presumably because it's still in beta.
It's a bad move to give it such an ungoogleable name. A bit like when Royal Insurance started an online insurance interface but called it "usecolor" - any search for the brand gave results for the markup language control instead.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
bolo
Catbabel
Posts: 915
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: tw.tter

Post by bolo » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:56 pm

Andreessen Horowitz is a ginormous Silicon Valley venture capital firm. Over the years they've backed a long list of tech companies. It seems a bit conspiratorial to imagine that backing Post is nefarious. Hedging the money they put into Twitter, maybe. Or maybe just hey, look here's another thing that might make us lotsamoney.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood
Posts: 1373
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:07 am


User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6463
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:15 pm

bolo wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:56 pm
Andreessen Horowitz is a ginormous Silicon Valley venture capital firm. Over the years they've backed a long list of tech companies. It seems a bit conspiratorial to imagine that backing Post is nefarious. Hedging the money they put into Twitter, maybe. Or maybe just hey, look here's another thing that might make us lotsamoney.
Yeah, the "nefarious" suggestion was definitely unlikely. OTOH, the Musk text messages release shows how Silicon Valley often operates, so I don't think it's necessarily conspiratorial.

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6463
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:17 pm

Another massive issue with both Post and Hive is that both have not made any accessibility efforts, and are saying they it's not important to them. This shows a pretty bad attitude to making their services diverse and to user accessibility and safety.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 6125
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: tw.tter

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:01 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:17 pm
Another massive issue with both Post and Hive is that both have not made any accessibility efforts, and are saying they it's not important to them. This shows a pretty bad attitude to making their services diverse and to user accessibility and safety.
Yes, replacements for Twitter may be worse in some respects.

temptar
Fuzzable
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by temptar » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:51 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:17 pm
Another massive issue with both Post and Hive is that both have not made any accessibility efforts, and are saying they it's not important to them. This shows a pretty bad attitude to making their services diverse and to user accessibility and safety.
Doing it now is better than attempting to retrofit.

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6463
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:22 pm

temptar wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:51 pm
dyqik wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:17 pm
Another massive issue with both Post and Hive is that both have not made any accessibility efforts, and are saying they it's not important to them. This shows a pretty bad attitude to making their services diverse and to user accessibility and safety.
Doing it now is better than attempting to retrofit.
And it's also better from the PoV of trying to build a better community from the outset.

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2475
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: tw.tter

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:34 pm

If even a fraction of the things described in this thread turn out to be true, Musk has bought a cut'n'shut.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
bjn
After Pie
Posts: 2417
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:58 pm
Location: London

Re: tw.tter

Post by bjn » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:44 pm

I found a new website...

https://twitterisgoinggreat.com/

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 6125
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: tw.tter

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:22 am


User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 6125
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: tw.tter

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:24 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:34 pm
If even a fraction of the things described in this thread turn out to be true, Musk has bought a cut'n'shut.
Wow.

If that lot is correct then firing most of the staff looks a lot less foolish.

monkey
Dorkwood
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by monkey » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:40 pm

Twitter is not paying their rent, among other things, for "cost saving" - clicky

My guess is that it's a negotiation tactic to get cheaper rent though.


(There shouldn't be a paywall to the article)

User avatar
jimbob
Light of Blast
Posts: 4537
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: tw.tter

Post by jimbob » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:01 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:34 pm
If even a fraction of the things described in this thread turn out to be true, Musk has bought a cut'n'shut.
:o
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6463
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:49 pm

Also Musk has added a bunch of new terms and acceptable use policies today.

One makes it a ToS violation to give any location information about anyone else. So it would be a ToS violation to say that the president would be speaking from the White House lawn, or they a band was playing a venue.

This was done specifically to justify Elon banning both the account that tracked his jet using publicly available information, and the account if the user that set up that not. Twitter is also deleting links to other sites with that information on, including Facebook pages, Instagram accounts, etc. Musk has previously declared that he was so committed to free speech that he wouldn't ban that account.

Also, Musk has announced that users will be required to have personalized ads and to share their location data with Twitter in order to continue using the service. This requirement is a direct violation of the FTC consent agreement and California privacy law. And probably GPDR.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 6125
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: tw.tter

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:56 am

dyqik wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:49 pm
Also Musk has added a bunch of new terms and acceptable use policies today.

One makes it a ToS violation to give any location information about anyone else. So it would be a ToS violation to say that the president would be speaking from the White House lawn, or they a band was playing a venue.

This was done specifically to justify Elon banning both the account that tracked his jet using publicly available information, and the account if the user that set up that not. Twitter is also deleting links to other sites with that information on, including Facebook pages, Instagram accounts, etc. Musk has previously declared that he was so committed to free speech that he wouldn't ban that account.

Also, Musk has announced that users will be required to have personalized ads and to share their location data with Twitter in order to continue using the service. This requirement is a direct violation of the FTC consent agreement and California privacy law. And probably GPDR.
Maybe not. The Musk Tweet states:
Any account doxxing real-time location info of anyone will be suspended, as it is a physical safety violation. This includes posting links to sites with real-time location info.

Posting locations someone traveled to on a slightly delayed basis isn’t a safety problem, so is ok.
He's referring to doxxing, which presumably means private information. So that wouldn't include a presidential press conference or live tweeting a sports event.

Though lots of cases will be a grey area which will make enforcement difficult. Not that he would care about that.

User avatar
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3146
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: In Sumerian Haze

Re: tw.tter

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:06 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:56 am
Any account doxxing real-time location info of anyone will be suspended, as it is a physical safety violation. This includes posting links to sites with real-time location info.

Posting locations someone traveled to on a slightly delayed basis isn’t a safety problem, so is ok.
He's referring to doxxing, which presumably means private information. So that wouldn't include a presidential press conference or live tweeting a sports event.

Though lots of cases will be a grey area which will make enforcement difficult. Not that he would care about that.
Where jets go isn't private, though, and there are various websites that track them.

Indeed OSINT spaces are absolutely clogged with entry-level, context free speculating about routine movements of jets.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 6125
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: tw.tter

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:50 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:06 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:56 am
Any account doxxing real-time location info of anyone will be suspended, as it is a physical safety violation. This includes posting links to sites with real-time location info.

Posting locations someone traveled to on a slightly delayed basis isn’t a safety problem, so is ok.
He's referring to doxxing, which presumably means private information. So that wouldn't include a presidential press conference or live tweeting a sports event.

Though lots of cases will be a grey area which will make enforcement difficult. Not that he would care about that.
Where jets go isn't private, though, and there are various websites that track them.

Indeed OSINT spaces are absolutely clogged with entry-level, context free speculating about routine movements of jets.
Yes, Twitter’s rules appear to treat information available elsewhere as a grey area:
Is the information available elsewhere online?

If the reported information was shared somewhere else before it was shared on Twitter, e.g., someone sharing their personal phone number on their own publicly accessible website, we may not treat this information as private, as the owner has made it publicly available. Note: we may take action against home addresses being shared, even if they are publicly available, due to the potential for physical harm.
https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-p ... nformation

temptar
Fuzzable
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: tw.tter

Post by temptar » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:15 am

The personalised ad bit is almost certainly not compliant with the GDPR so I hope that gets wings as a complaint.

Twitter also does not need my location and data stored must be proportionate. In short, there is no way this is compliant with European legislation and I wonder about Californian privacy law too.

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 6463
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: tw.tter

Post by dyqik » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:28 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:56 am
dyqik wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:49 pm
Also Musk has added a bunch of new terms and acceptable use policies today.

One makes it a ToS violation to give any location information about anyone else. So it would be a ToS violation to say that the president would be speaking from the White House lawn, or they a band was playing a venue.

This was done specifically to justify Elon banning both the account that tracked his jet using publicly available information, and the account if the user that set up that not. Twitter is also deleting links to other sites with that information on, including Facebook pages, Instagram accounts, etc. Musk has previously declared that he was so committed to free speech that he wouldn't ban that account.

Also, Musk has announced that users will be required to have personalized ads and to share their location data with Twitter in order to continue using the service. This requirement is a direct violation of the FTC consent agreement and California privacy law. And probably GPDR.
Maybe not. The Musk Tweet states:
Any account doxxing real-time location info of anyone will be suspended, as it is a physical safety violation. This includes posting links to sites with real-time location info.

Posting locations someone traveled to on a slightly delayed basis isn’t a safety problem, so is ok.
He's referring to doxxing, which presumably means private information. So that wouldn't include a presidential press conference or live tweeting a sports event.

Though lots of cases will be a grey area which will make enforcement difficult. Not that he would care about that.
The terms as written do not make this distinction. The ban included accounts that were not themselves sharing this public information.

His response to criticism of this has included posting is video of what he claims is a stalker's car, which clearly shows the cars license plate. I.e. actual doxxing.

The whole thing was a quickly made up thing to try to claim they he wasn't suppressing speech for his own benefit.

User avatar
Brightonian
Dorkwood
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Location: Usually UK, often France and Ireland

Re: tw.tter

Post by Brightonian » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:08 am

Twitter has suspended several journalists' accounts, possibly related to the tracking of Musk's plane.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-med ... -rcna62032

User avatar
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3146
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: In Sumerian Haze

Re: tw.tter

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:54 am

The petulant overgrown fraudbaby is now onto banning highly regarded journalists who report on or have criticised him.

He's also sold several billion more in Tesla stock, so I hope it at least knocks over that ridiculous house of cards.

Post Reply