The General Corbyn Thread

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: The General Corbyn Thread

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:49 pm

discovolante wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:12 pm
The other allegations might be well founded, but maybe one of the reasons people keep voting for her is because she is so often targeted for stuff that isn't really deserved. That and you know, being a Labour MP in London, which on the whole is generally pretty friendly to Labour.
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a bit of a factor, but there's also a massive f.cking blindspot around both antisemitism and antiziganism, to the point that some people are trying to paint her as the victim because people - whether in the groups she dismissed bigotry against or otherwise - had the temerity to point out that dismissing bigotry against a group or claiming they can't be victims of racism because they are white - neither Jews or Roma are in a sociological sense anyway - was not acceptable. This is especially true as she wrote and sent that letter in response to survey evidence that racist abuse was more commonly experienced by Jewish and GRT people than people of African or Afro-Caribbean origin.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:10 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:49 pm
discovolante wrote:
The other allegations might be well founded, but maybe one of the reasons people keep voting for her is because she is so often targeted for stuff that isn't really deserved. That and you know, being a Labour MP in London, which on the whole is generally pretty friendly to Labour.
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a bit of a factor, but there's also a massive f.cking blindspot around both antisemitism and antiziganism, to the point that some people are trying to paint her as the victim because people - whether in the groups she dismissed bigotry against or otherwise - had the temerity to point out that dismissing bigotry against a group or claiming they can't be victims of racism because they are white - neither Jews or Roma are in a sociological sense anyway - was not acceptable. This is especially true as she wrote and sent that letter in response to survey evidence that racist abuse was more commonly experienced by Jewish and GRT people than people of African or Afro-Caribbean origin.
Just this evening, a friend was talking about a friend of hers who was in Momentum in Manchester but left because she's come to the conclusion that Corbyn was antisemitic. She apparently got death threats for the fact that her nose apparently "looks Jewish"
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:11 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:49 pm
discovolante wrote:
I'm certainly not suggesting that she should be immune from criticism (although there hasn't been an election since she wrote that letter so it's not really anything to do with her previous electoral success!). Possibly what concerns me is that as probably Labour's most high profile black MP (up for debate I suppose) most larger scale debate about anti black racism within the Labour Party and elsewhere seems to end up gravitating back to her one way or another, so it can be more easily discredited. And supposedly 'sensible' papers like the independent end up getting away with sh.t like that article, partly because it's her. And when it gets muddled up with antisemitism and other forms of racism (which Diane Abbott is partly responsible for due to that letter) everyone affected basically ends up being used as a political football.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:46 am

discovolante wrote:
Millennie Al wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:45 am
The Independent has a list of her blunders: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 25277.html
That comment about trying to get a taxi isn't the same as saying all taxi drivers are 'racists' (she might think that, who knows, but she didn't say it).

She is quoted as saying:
Dubious of black people claiming they’ve never experienced racism. Ever tried hailing a taxi I always wonder?
That, indeed, is not the same as saying that all taxi drivers are racist. But it is saying that such a large proportion are racist that a black person hailing a cab will find it highly noticeable.
My friend was sexually assaulted by a taxi driver, should I be prepared to accept that they are capable of sexual assault but aren't capable of racism?
But would you therefore "Dubious of women claiming they have never experience sexual assault. Ever tried taking a taxi I always wonder?" or would you think that that expresses something quite different?
maybe one of the reasons people keep voting for her is because she is so often targeted for stuff that isn't really deserved.
That applies to any politician.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:45 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:46 am
discovolante wrote:
Millennie Al wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:45 am
The Independent has a list of her blunders: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 25277.html
That comment about trying to get a taxi isn't the same as saying all taxi drivers are 'racists' (she might think that, who knows, but she didn't say it).

She is quoted as saying:
Dubious of black people claiming they’ve never experienced racism. Ever tried hailing a taxi I always wonder?
That, indeed, is not the same as saying that all taxi drivers are racist. But it is saying that such a large proportion are racist that a black person hailing a cab will find it highly noticeable.
My friend was sexually assaulted by a taxi driver, should I be prepared to accept that they are capable of sexual assault but aren't capable of racism?
But would you therefore "Dubious of women claiming they have never experience sexual assault. Ever tried taking a taxi I always wonder?" or would you think that that expresses something quite different?
maybe one of the reasons people keep voting for her is because she is so often targeted for stuff that isn't really deserved.
That applies to any politician.
Actively sexually assaulting someone in a situation where youre sitting behind the wheel in a separate compartment is likely to be less common than accidentally on purpose driving past them as they try to flag you down, yes.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:03 pm

I've been visiting my parents this weekend and this topic came up along with the Independent article. My dad remembered an interview he heard with a black (male) comedian, whose name he couldn't remember, in which the difficulties of getting a taxi, especially at night, came up. I'd guess that being a man might make it even more difficult but well, there you have another person saying this.

(I'll split this off into another thread if it becomes too much of a distraction)