MonkeyPox in UK

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
basementer
Dorkwood

Re: MonkeyPox in UK

Post by basementer » Sun May 22, 2022 5:17 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 2:52 pm
I have no idea if I was vaccinated. I can't tell from the scar because I did so much growing my scar is a thin line about 4cm long.

I can't help singing monkey pox in the uk to the tune of Anarchy in the UK.
My "aunty" (second cousin once removed) caught smallpox, so my parents were strongly motivated to get the kids protected. There was an outbreak in the UK a bit before I started infants' school. Like polio, it was a present threat at that time, so I think that given your folks had you jabbed at all, they probably included it in the schedule.
Context: basementer knows roughly how much older than Tessa K he is.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun May 22, 2022 5:20 pm

basementer wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:17 pm
Tessa K wrote:
I have no idea if I was vaccinated. I can't tell from the scar because I did so much growing my scar is a thin line about 4cm long.

My "aunty" (second cousin once removed) caught smallpox, so my parents were strongly motivated to get the kids protected. There was an outbreak in the UK a bit before I started infants' school. Like polio, it was a present threat at that time, so I think that given your folks had you jabbed at all, they probably included it in the schedule.
When did you start school? I had measles and mumps because there was no vaccine yet. What was the one you had on a lump of sugar?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun May 22, 2022 5:23 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Glad it's not just me! Good title.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Sun May 22, 2022 5:28 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:20 pm
basementer wrote:
Tessa K wrote:

When did you start school? I had measles and mumps because there was no vaccine yet. What was the one you had on a lump of sugar?
1962. Polio was the lump of sugar one IIRC. I caught the whole triad of MMR because as you say the vaccines hadn't been developed. I was vaccinated against diphtheria, tetanus, polio, smallpox and TB.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun May 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Tessa K wrote:
What was the one you had on a lump of sugar?
Polio IIRC
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun May 22, 2022 5:35 pm

Routine smallpox vaccination ended in 1971 so I may have had it.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun May 22, 2022 8:55 pm

Tessa K wrote:
basementer wrote:
Tessa K wrote:

Polio

ETA I caught both mumps and measles but not rubella despite there being an outbreak on the late 60s
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Mon May 23, 2022 9:10 am

Tessa K wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:35 pm
I was born in 1970 and I definitely had it - I was lucky enough to be in the relatively short overlap period of smallpox and measles vax - born early enough to get the smallpox job and late enough to get the measles jab.

I caught mumps though, as it was far too early to be vaxed against that, and had already had rubella by the time I got that vaccine.

I also remember the polio sugar cube and also the feeling of betrayal some years later, still in my childhood, when I discovered it hadn't been a treat for being such a good girl with my jabs given at the same time*, but another vaccine. Sneaky bastards.

*I don't know if anyone actually told me that, quite possibly I just assumed it, but certainly no-one told me it was a vaccine.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 23, 2022 10:09 am

bagpuss wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:10 am
Tessa K wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:35 pm
I was born in 1970 and I definitely had it - I was lucky enough to be in the relatively short overlap period of smallpox and measles vax - born early enough to get the smallpox job and late enough to get the measles jab.

I caught mumps though, as it was far too early to be vaxed against that, and had already had rubella by the time I got that vaccine.

I also remember the polio sugar cube and also the feeling of betrayal some years later, still in my childhood, when I discovered it hadn't been a treat for being such a good girl with my jabs given at the same time*, but another vaccine. Sneaky bastards.

*I don't know if anyone actually told me that, quite possibly I just assumed it, but certainly no-one told me it was a vaccine.
We were told what it was for. It made a nice change from being stuck with what felt like a blunt needle. I'm not convinced they used a fresh needle for each child.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon May 23, 2022 1:19 pm

The BBC isn't being upfront about what's going on.

Presumably because of the problem that homophobes will brand it a gay disease and blame people accordingly.

But saying stuff like: "Did the same old virus find itself in the right place – like a festival – or group of people where it was able to spread easily?" just spreads unnecessary fear. Before long Herainstold will be flying to Bouvet Island to avoid it.

The "festival" was an arranged international sex orgy, it appears. The "group of people" are MSM meeting up for anonymous fun in saunas. This is a sexual health problem, more than it's a public health problem. It's better to be direct about it.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 23, 2022 1:33 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:19 pm

Presumably because of the problem that homophobes will brand it a gay disease and blame people accordingly.

But saying stuff like: "Did the same old virus find itself in the right place – like a festival – or group of people where it was able to spread easily?" just spreads unnecessary fear. Before long Herainstold will be flying to Bouvet Island to avoid it.

The "festival" was an arranged international sex orgy, it appears. The "group of people" are MSM meeting up for anonymous fun in saunas. This is a sexual health problem, more than it's a public health problem. It's better to be direct about it.
It may have started at a sex party but if it does become widespread people will lose interest in that the same way no one really cares where Covid started anymore.

It's not an STI, it's a close proximity virus just like Covid or any other kind of pox.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon May 23, 2022 1:35 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:33 pm
lpm wrote:

It may have started at a sex party but if it does become widespread people will lose interest in that the same way no one really cares where Covid started anymore.

It's not an STI, it's a close proximity virus just like Covid or any other kind of pox.
The Great Pox? Which, admittedly is bacterial rather than viral.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon May 23, 2022 1:48 pm

Tessa K wrote:
lpm wrote:

That presentation is what all the wokes are peddling. But it's so misleading.

It's not a close proximity virus, it's a very close proximity virus. Nothing like Covid. You're not going to catch it on the Tube or a cinema.

Though it doesn't need sexual contact to spread, it needs naked skin against naked skin.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 23, 2022 2:07 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:48 pm
Tessa K wrote:
lpm wrote:

That presentation is what all the wokes are peddling. But it's so misleading.

It's not a close proximity virus, it's a very close proximity virus. Nothing like Covid. You're not going to catch it on the Tube or a cinema.

Though it doesn't need sexual contact to spread, it needs naked skin against naked skin.
The kind of contact that people have with their kids. Or adults shaking/holding hands. Or hugging - especially at this time of year with bare arms. Or anywhere people dance together.

It's not woke to say it isn't an STI, it's accurate and as we're going to see a lot of inaccuracy in the media, let's at least get the facts right here. Sex is a vector of transmission but with an STI it's the only vector.

Do we know how long it survives away from the body? Should we consider what we're touching as we did at the start of covid?

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon May 23, 2022 2:32 pm

Got to have the right balance of risks. Theoretically an unlucky person could catch it dancing with someone. But in the real world there's zero risk of an epidemic spreading that way, it's just too rare an event. The virus is only going to be R>1 via sexual contact, so measures should address that.

Fortunately MSM as a group are well informed on sexual health and have a high engagement with public health organisations.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 23, 2022 3:23 pm

According to the WHO:
face-to-face exposure

direct physical contact, including sexual contact

contact with contaminated materials such as clothing or bedding
Large gatherings may represent a conducive environment for the transmission of monkeypox virus as they entail close, prolonged and frequent interactions among people, which in turn can expose attendees to contact with lesions, body fluids, respiratory droplets and contaminated materials.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... 022-DON385

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon May 23, 2022 4:04 pm

I know why everyone puts "may" and "could" and "possible" into their transmission explanations. They are adding in the rare events to be cautious.

But when they say "close, prolonged and frequent interactions" that's what they really mean.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon May 23, 2022 7:09 pm

lpm wrote:

I’m just trying to work out why it’s spreading among the Mainstream Media
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Mon May 23, 2022 7:59 pm

CDC says...

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/ ... ssion.html
Human-to-human transmission is thought to occur primarily through large respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets generally cannot travel more than a few feet, so prolonged face-to-face contact is required. Other human-to-human methods of transmission include direct contact with body fluids or lesion material, and indirect contact with lesion material, such as through contaminated clothing or linens.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Tue May 24, 2022 5:54 am

Arstechnica has a nice article on monkey pox.

You can catch it through prolonged face to face exposure, not just skin to skin contact, but it is rarer. For example it’s been passed on through aeroplanes travel.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Tue May 24, 2022 6:31 am

bjn wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:54 am
Arstechnica has a nice article on monkey pox.

You can catch it through prolonged face to face exposure, not just skin to skin contact, but it is rarer. For example it’s been passed on through aeroplanes travel.
From 2016...

Human Monkeypox: Current State of Knowledge and Implications for the Future
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6082047/

Given that transmission can occur via indirect contact with lesion material - a lot of the "hygiene theatre" set up for COVID may suddenly become useful - e.g. wiping away debris from pustules/scabs.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed May 25, 2022 9:48 am

I've split off the discussion of special newspaper words into its own thread.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Wed May 25, 2022 11:55 am

According to the internet, monkeypox is really just shingles* and is caused by the Astra Zeneca COVID-19 vaccine**.

*Back in 2021 there was a case in Texas. An internet health site "healthiness.com" reported on the case. Not being able to find a photo of monkeypox, the article was illustrated with a photo of shingles lifted from a Queensland Health Web page on shingles.

**Because the vaccine has a chimpanzee adenovirus carrier. Chimpanzees being the same as monkeys.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:40 pm

Dr Tedros has declared monkeypox is now a global health emergency. Should we be worried? https://www.bbc.com/news/health-62279436

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:53 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:40 pm
Dr Tedros has declared monkeypox is now a global health emergency. Should we be worried? https://www.bbc.com/news/health-62279436
Well we should be worried because apparently PHEIC (Public Health Emergency of International Concern) is meant to be pronounced like "fake" which gives the tin foil hat brigade yet more to make inane Youtube videos about rather than get vaccinated.