Channel 4 Privatisation and Nadine Dorries

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Channel 4 Privatisation and Nadine Dorries

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu May 19, 2022 4:10 pm

So... Dorries seems to have definitely decided to privatise Channel 4, but being the person she is, has come out with some absolutely mind-bending comments:

1) a government survey that apparently say 96% of people questioned support privatisation... except it was 96% oppose privatisation
2) one of her strands for supporting privatisation is "Netflix"... but brilliantly she reckoned they needed to improve their business strategy, 'cos 4 other members of her own family around the country share her password, so dur, that's not great for business... before being reminded that wasn't allowed
The culture secretary, Nadine Dorries, shares her Netflix account with four other households, including her mother’s, she has told MPs, calling the streaming service an “incredibly generous system”.

Dorries argued that the recent share price collapse at Netflix, which is now worth less than a third of its market value at the start of the year, was evidence only of its success.

“I think that [for] people to even try and paint a picture that Netflix … is struggling is slightly over-egging the pudding. But they are going to have to revise their business model,” she told the Commons digital, culture, media and sport committee.

“I’ve always thought it’s [an] incredibly generous system that it has, if you have an account, of allowing other people access. I mean, my mum has access to my account, my kids do. I have Netflix, but there are four other people who can use my Netflix account in different parts of the country.”

Dorries was then apparently told by Sarah Healey, the department’s permanent secretary, that password sharing was not allowed on the service.
I do hope she gets her account blocked...

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: Channel 4 Privatisation and Nadine Dorries

Post by Gfamily » Thu May 19, 2022 4:27 pm

At another point she was incredulous that 53% of the population that didn't even know Channel 4 was state owned.

She was gently reminded that she was one of those 53%, having been informed of the fact by them at the previous meeting.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu May 19, 2022 5:07 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:27 pm
At another point she was incredulous that 53% of the population that didn't even know Channel 4 was state owned.

She was gently reminded that she was one of those 53%, having been informed of the fact by them at the previous meeting.
I thought she knew that as she wants to privatise it.

It's the fact that it receives no license money and is self financing of which she was ignorant.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:58 pm

Sorry, not Channel 4 but it is Ms Dorries
https://twitter.com/i/status/1542503588559085569

Rugby league, rugby union, same thing. She's only Minister for Sportvafter all.

I do think her advisers are trying to find out how much cr*p they can get away with

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:30 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:58 pm

I do think her advisers are trying to find out how much cr*p they can get away with
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Surely someone around her would have checked...?

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:38 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:30 pm
Trinucleus wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:58 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Surely someone around her would have checked...?
I was wondering what they wanted us distracted from...
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:58 pm

Time for a big fat one.