Lightning

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Grumble
Light of Blast

Lightning

Post by Grumble » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:29 pm

Currently having a thunderstorm chez nous. Rain seems to get much stronger in the immediate aftermath of a peal of thunder. Does the shockwave cause more precipitation?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

philip
Bank Butt

Re: Lightning

Post by philip » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:29 pm

I'm dubious. How soon is immediate? Rain drops don't fall that fast, it probably takes a few minutes for them to fall from the clouds to the ground. If you notice an increase in rainfall at ground level, the increase at cloud level happened a few minutes earlier.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:26 am

I done a Google and someone else asked the same question:
Dear Tom,
Is it my imagination or does it rain harder after a loud clap of thunder?
— Tony Godek
Dear Tony,

It's probably not your imagination, but it's not the thunder that causes the increase in rainfall intensity. It's the lightning that produced the thunder. It has been shown that, in some cases, a "rain gush" occurs in the seconds following a flash of lightning. In the region of the cloud where the flash occurs, radar measurements have indicated a rapid increase of echo intensity followed by a gush of rain at the ground. The increases in radar reflectivity in small volumes of the cloud following a lightning flash suggest that the electric discharge is influencing the size of particles in the cloud. Within about 30 seconds after a lightning discharge, the mass of some droplets may increase as much as 100-fold as a result of the electrostatic precipitation effect.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/weather/ ... olumn.html

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:28 am

But that's not in the "immediate aftermath" of thunder?

And if it's in the cloud that did the lightning, not the cloud over Grumble, then it doesn't apply?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:31 am

How were you perceiving strength of rain, Grumble? Visually, eg rain drops hitting a puddle? Or by sound, eg the drumming on the roof?

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:23 pm

lpm wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:28 am
But that's not in the "immediate aftermath" of thunder?

And if it's in the cloud that did the lightning, not the cloud over Grumble, then it doesn't apply?
I guess it'll depend upon how far away the lightning is.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:31 pm

What about that thing which happens in movie and on tv where it suddenly starts raining after a clap of thunder.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:42 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:31 pm
What about that thing which happens in movie and on tv where it suddenly starts raining after a clap of thunder.
I so want there to be a film with a scene of a 2 way conversation, where all the shots of one character were in the dry and all the reverse angles were in the pissing rain. So at the end of each dry shot there's a rumble of thunder just before the cut and at the end of each rainy shot there's a quick clip of the sun emerging from behind a cloud and birds chirping. Repeat multiple times.

geejaytee
Clardic Fug

Post by geejaytee » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:01 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:42 pm
shpalman wrote:
I so want there to be a film with a scene of a 2 way conversation, where all the shots of one character were in the dry and all the reverse angles were in the pissing rain. So at the end of each dry shot there's a rumble of thunder just before the cut and at the end of each rainy shot there's a quick clip of the sun emerging from behind a cloud and birds chirping. Repeat multiple times.
It happens often enough that there's a sufficiently localised downpour (it always rains heavily on tv*) around the actors, but bright sunshine in the background.

*a-ha consider rewrite

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:10 pm

lpm wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:31 am
How were you perceiving strength of rain, Grumble? Visually, eg rain drops hitting a puddle? Or by sound, eg the drumming on the roof?
Rain hitting my window, and the lighting was over a mile away most often. Maybe that’s still local enough for the electrostatic effect?

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:37 pm

shpalman wrote:
That happened to me once. I even said "that was just like the films" when it happened.

We get lots of thunderstorms at the right times of year (not so much this year though) and the rain can start suddenly. Sometimes you can see a wall of rain comming down the road towards you.

The films always miss is the wind getting windier just before the storm starts.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:50 pm

I suppose when there's a big deluge the rain is falling thousands of feet and probably takes quite a while to get to ground level. The movement of air that involves might well be the trigger for the lightning and thunder rather than vice versa.

(ETA) as philip basically said yesterday. :oops:

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:00 pm

shpalman wrote:
Happened during a match at Headingley a decade or so back, think it was against South Africa, but honestly can't remember definitely. Was quite memorable, and suffice to say they did not resume play that day.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:31 pm

Right now I can hear thunder which lightningmaps suggests is coming from about 10-15 km away,* but there's still a bit of late evening sun here.

* - the main nucleus of the storm is further way but there are a few strikes close enough to see and/or hear.

I know that at night I can see lightning all the way over in Bergamo.

(Now there's a hint of a bit of rainbow over there and a few drops of rain on the balcony.)
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:22 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:50 pm
I suppose when there's a big deluge the rain is falling thousands of feet and probably takes quite a while to get to ground level. The movement of air that involves might well be the trigger for the lightning and thunder rather than vice versa.

To put some numbers to it: I found one estimate of about five minutes for raindrops to reach ground from clouds at 10,000 feet, and another source saying they travel at 15 to 25 mph which would be 5 to 8 minutes from that height.
I think, Grumble, that what you describe is a coincidence, though a striking one.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:54 pm

I was wondering if a salient stimulus like a thunderclap might increase hearing sensitivity temporarily.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:32 pm

basementer wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:22 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:50 pm

To put some numbers to it: I found one estimate of about five minutes for raindrops to reach ground from clouds at 10,000 feet, and another source saying they travel at 15 to 25 mph which would be 5 to 8 minutes from that height.
I think, Grumble, that what you describe is a coincidence, though a striking one.
It depends what height the clouds are at though, surely? I noticed it several times, a temporary increase in rain intensity following the thunderclap.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:35 pm

If a thunderclap is associated with a gust of wind or a downdraft, that would produce an increase of the speed of the impacting rain as long as the gust or downdraft continued.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:08 pm

How much energy does the sound wave have? Obviously it pushes your ear drum a bit. Can it also push extra rain drops against a window?

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:16 pm

lpm wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:08 pm
How much energy does the sound wave have? Obviously it pushes your ear drum a bit. Can it also push extra rain drops against a window?
I would think not the thunderclap, but the initial rush of hot, low density air that causes the noise.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:42 pm
shpalman wrote:
I was once sat in the car with my dad at some traffic lights. Rain fell and it was absolutely pissing down on the front half of the car - windscreen wipers on full couldn't clear it - but at the back there was no rain at all. The rear windscreen remained as dry as a bone until we moved off.