Re: Boris: What next?

Post by discovolante » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:01 pm

philbo wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:49 pm
tom p wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:13 pm
Yaaay! Philbo!
:-)

..I've been lurking a bit recently, not really had anything to say though, until the last couple of days', ah.. "excitement"
Haha don't worry about it, I never do.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:05 pm

I'm not resigning.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:25 pm

Why does it feel like Boris Johnson hasn’t resigned?
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:50 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:05 pm
I'm not resigning.
I'm resigned to this state.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:50 pm

Boustrophedon wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:25 pm
Why does it feel like Boris Johnson hasn’t resigned?
Because he didn't actually say he was resigning, now, or later.

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:18 pm

David Allen Green, in a tweet that’s protected so I can’t share it, not off the app anyway wrote: A number of tweets along the lines of "but he has not gone yet"

What has changed is that process for choosing a new leader has commenced, outside of his control

That new leader will be invited by Queen to form new government

Johnson cannot stop this process, even if he wanted
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:21 am

I don't know where the myth that "he didn't actually say he was resigning" has come from.

He did.

He might not have used the magic word. But synonyms count. He said he's "giving up the best job in the world" and twice said "until the new prime minister is in place" and "I won't be able to see through so many ideas and projects myself".

Seems like this is another mad twitter conspiracy theory.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:01 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:21 am
I don't know where the myth that "he didn't actually say he was resigning" has come from.

He did.

He might not have used the magic word. But synonyms count. He said he's "giving up the best job in the world" and twice said "until the new prime minister is in place" and "I won't be able to see through so many ideas and projects myself".

Also his speech would have nothing to do with the process of his resignation, which would be made to Tory HQ or 1922 committee or whatever the proper internal mechanism would be. I doubt they have let him get away with some obscure wording that allows him to say he's staying later on.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:37 am

Actually, I am resigning. But not yet.

Not yet.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:41 am

My mum has forwarded me a petition to "evict Boris Johnson today".

Because that's how it works.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:05 am

WFJ wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:01 am
lpm wrote:

He did.

Also his speech would have nothing to do with the process of his resignation, which would be made to Tory HQ or 1922 committee or whatever the proper internal mechanism would be. I doubt they have let him get away with some obscure wording that allows him to say he's staying later on.
There's a difference between what could happen and what a deluded narcissist thinks could happen - It's quite plausible that Johnson is hoping to shine in an emergency (because he's been so great before) and he thinks the 1922 Committee (under pressure from his adoring Conservative grassroots) will then decide to leap on some ambiguity in wording.

But the main problem is that he's doing damage to the country every day he hangs on in office. And he wants to hang on for a long time.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:14 am

Is he doing any damage to the country? What could he potentially do? He can't start a trade war with the EU, won't change Ukraine policy and is helpless in the face of the economic crisis. Obviously he's a Tory c.nt and is damaging the country in that way, but his replacement will also be a country-damaging Tory c.nt.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:15 am

lpm wrote:

He did.

from the same people who bought us "Boris has a fake baby" and "the queen is signalling her love of the EU via hats"
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:19 am

I'm giving a good chance to the gone in 10 days scenario.

The first round of MP voting is next Thursday. Potentially one candidate could emerge with a significant early lead. If so, there will be massive pressure on the rest of the field to do a Loathsome and anoint the chosen one in return for a cabinet position. By Monday 18 July there could be only one choice remaining and a quick visit to Her Maj will get it done.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:39 am

philbo wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:49 pm
tom p wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:13 pm
Yaaay! Philbo!
:-)

..I've been lurking a bit recently, not really had anything to say though, until the last couple of days', ah.. "excitement"
well it's good to see you, mate.
hope you're keeping well

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:41 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:19 am

The first round of MP voting is next Thursday. Potentially one candidate could emerge with a significant early lead. If so, there will be massive pressure on the rest of the field to do a Loathsome and anoint the chosen one in return for a cabinet position. By Monday 18 July there could be only one choice remaining and a quick visit to Her Maj will get it done.
Jeez, it comes to something when we're hoping that one of those brass-necked, brainless, shameless chancers will have the integrity and intelligence of Andrea f.cking Loathsome.
I really hope it does happen like that and Johnsons is kicked out as PM the day before his chequers party. That would just be delightful

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:43 am

What might be better in that scenario is for the new PM to grant Johnson the use of a small portion of the Chequers back garden, and they and their guests have to access it via the servants' entrance.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:47 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:43 am
What might be better in that scenario is for the new PM to grant Johnson the use of a small portion of the Chequers back garden, and they and their guests have to access it via the servants' entrance.
Naah, 'cos then the greedy c.nt and that grasping bitch get a free party. Make the f.ckers pay through the nose for a place at the last minute.
Or charge them £150k (or one treehouse in Johnson language) for the use as you described, on condition that members of the public are allowed to form a guard of dishonour for the couple and their guests & won't be searched for rotten tomatoes

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:49 am

And they have to be naked, with people crying "SHAME"

Okay, probably too far now

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:58 am

not nearly far enough.
something involving them having to roll in the guts of a rotting donkey would be reasonable
ETA - although there are ethical problems with people having to see johnson's johnson

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:36 am

And now over to Jonathan Pie at Westminster for the latest developments.

It was fair to say absolutely none of this was apparent during the various hagiographies the BBC 10 O'Clock News and Newsnight showed last night.

If you had just woken up from a 14-year* long coma and turned on the news you would have struggled to have figured out why he had been pushed out given the exemplar record of delivery on all the major promises from the "most significant political figure of modern times" and his flawless personal integrity.

The Olympics were a success, Brexit was done, the pandemic was defeated, the vaccine roll-out was world-beating, the UK was levelled-up and Ukraine was single-handedly saved, all done with a sense of fun and an engaging charm that captured the hearts and support of a grateful nation. How will we ever replace him?

All reported straight to camera without caveats or commentary.

*H/T JOB
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:32 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
He has a long history of using servant's entrances.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:43 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
For the lulz they should allow the party to go ahead and then arrest the party-goers for a breach of the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022 on the basis it constitutes a public nuisance within a controlled area liable to cause alarm and distress. Bring Partygate full circle. 8-)
Last edited by Little waster on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:43 am

Stupid f.cking computer!
Last edited by Little waster on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:43 am

tom p wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:41 am
lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:19 am

Jeez, it comes to something when we're hoping that one of those brass-necked, brainless, shameless chancers will have the integrity and intelligence of Andrea f.cking Loathsome.
I really hope it does happen like that and Johnsons is kicked out as PM the day before his chequers party. That would just be delightful
Yes, and it's not just people like me saying that it's untenable, but John Major

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Other

For similar reasons
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation