Boris: What next?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
jimbob
Light of Blast

Re: Boris: What next?

Post by jimbob » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:00 pm

Liaison Committee footage of Johnson admitting to having met with Lebedev in Italy as Foreign Secretary without minders

https://twitter.com/avaltd/status/1544698284605849605
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:16 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:39 pm
THEY SHOULD SHOW IT ON TV.
I haven't seen the show Total Wipeout for a number of years but I assume the course is still intact somewhere. We should combine the two.

First cabinet minister to make it across the Big Red Balls gets to be the new PM, for a week.

This would have the benefit of being 327.2% less ridiculous and humiliating for the Tories then their current shitshow while being exactly as amusing to watch for the rest of us.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:17 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:00 pm
Liaison Committee footage of Johnson admitting to having met with Lebedev in Italy as Foreign Secretary without minders
https://twitter.com/avaltd/status/1544698284605849605
There's a kind of who-cares-any-more to these rapidly emerging revelations, that aren't actually of any different level of awfulness from what we generally expect of him.

To actually damage his reputation from its long-standing present level, you'd have to expose that he had secret off-shore accounts full of millions in laundered backhanders, or a locked cellar full of chained sex-slaves, or something like that. Or, since this is Britain, maybe kicking his dog might be enough.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:23 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:42 pm
New Heath Secretary is being knocked a bit https://twitter.com/shaunlintern/status ... D5bL7Of4IA
Mr Barclays suspicion of every NHS business case while at the Treasury was perhaps best characterised by his decision to block the start of the vaccination programme in late 2020.
All. The. Big. Calls. Right?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:24 pm

There's apparently a second delegation of loyalist ministers at No 10 urging him to stay on. How many over the obvious two is that likely to number?

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:27 pm

WFJ wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:24 pm
There's apparently a second delegation of loyalists at No 10 urging him to stay on. How many over the obvious two is that likely to number?
Just think one lucky meteorite strike and we could rid ourselves of most the horriblest c.nts in government.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:34 pm

Honestly I want this hooked up to my f.cking veins
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:55 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:16 pm
lpm wrote:
I haven't seen the show Total Wipeout for a number of years but I assume the course is still intact somewhere. We should combine the two.

First cabinet minister to make it across the Big Red Balls gets to be the new PM, for a week.

This would have the benefit of being 327.2% less ridiculous and humiliating for the Tories then their current shitshow while being exactly as amusing to watch for the rest of us.
Big Red Balls is Labour, isn't he?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:07 pm

Not resigning. Not calling an election. 1922 not planning to change the rules on no confidence (but having an election next week).

So he says, anyway. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-62065534

But AFAIAA the only mechanism to remove him is no confidence, and he's got at least a week for that to slip down the agenda.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:15 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:55 pm
Little waster wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:16 pm
lpm wrote:

Big Red Balls is Labour, isn't he?
Easy mistake.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:16 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:07 pm
Not resigning. Not calling an election. 1922 not planning to change the rules on no confidence (but having an election next week).

But AFAIAA the only mechanism to remove him is no confidence, and he's got at least a week for that to slip down the agenda.
It would be terrible if there was an extended Tory civil war before an election. Terrible.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:22 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:

A parliamentary confidence vote could happen at any time without any rule changes. It's not likely to happen though.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:32 pm

WFJ wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:22 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

A parliamentary confidence vote could happen at any time without any rule changes. It's not likely to happen though.
Right now it's looking like the only option outside of the 1922 committee. The question then becomes "how long do Labour/SNP/Lib Dems want to watch the Tories burn".

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:38 pm

I'm transfixed by the live view of Number 10, where Larry the cat keeps having the door opened for him and refusing to go in. Repeatedly.
Fabulous telly.

eta: the cantankerous bugger has just deigned to go in.
Time for a big fat one.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:46 pm

Anyone want to guess how long this headline will be trending on Twitter?
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson continues to face more resignations from his government

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:57 pm

I like that one of the trending hashtags is #Clownfall

and John Bull has revisited GoveCthulu
https://twitter.com/garius/status/15446 ... wQJJulpdew
<in the corridor>

GRAYLING: Oh aren't you cute!
MICHAEL FABRICANTS WIGS: <snarling>
GRAYLING: Whose a good little wiggy wiggy!
GOVE: Be CArEFuL. ThEY biTE
GRAYLING: Oh, righto
GOVE: hORRiBLe liTTLe thiNGs. I reGREt cREaTiNG thEM iF i'M hOneST
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:05 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:16 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

It would be terrible if there was an extended Tory civil war before an election. Terrible.
What election?

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:12 pm

Well Iran picked the right day to arrest a deputy ambassador, didn't they?

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:17 pm

Opti wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:38 pm
I'm transfixed by the live view of Number 10, where Larry the cat keeps having the door opened for him and refusing to go in. Repeatedly.
Fabulous telly.

eta: the cantankerous bugger has just deigned to go in.
The irony is there is a camera filming the door from inside Number 10 and it is currently showing Johnson hanging on to the door jamb as some of the burlier Cabinet Ministers are trying to physically remove him ... now they've wrapped him in a tea towel and are feeding him tranquilisers covered in butter ... he's eat the butter and spat the tablet out, cheeky bugger ... now they are squirting him with water ... he doesn't like that ... TBH Carrie really should have had him spayed as now he's just squirting vile liquids up the curtains again from some sort of special gland. :shock:

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:28 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:05 pm
dyqik wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

What election?
The one that would result if Boris refuses to leave as party leader, can't be ousted, but has lost the confidence of the house. e.g. if 30-45% of Tory MPs oppose him openly, and Labour/SNP decide to support a No Confidence motion in the house.
Last edited by dyqik on Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:28 pm

This is glorious. Someone on reddit has been counting here but I haven't checked them all.

They've got it at 38 so far inclusive of all resignations, 20 of which are government posts. I should probably feel bad for the state of the country but Johnson needs to go before anything can be fixed.

Best case scenario is mass defections but I'm not that naive.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:35 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:28 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:05 pm
dyqik wrote:

What election?
The one that would result if Boris refuses to leave as party leader, can't be ousted, but has lost the confidence of the house. e.g. if 30-45% of Tory MPs oppose him openly, and Labour/SNP decide to support a No Confidence motion in the house.
So it depends on Tory MPs risking their careers for the good of the country? I'll believe it when I see it ;)

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:39 pm

Johnson is making Tory MPs hate him.

He could well lose the next confidence vote 2 to 1. It's no longer remotely competitive.

They all know you can't half kill a PM. The longer it takes to finish him, the more hit points they all lose.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:40 pm

John Finnemore has been tweeting this article from the Daily Telegraph:
I tell you that the Prime Minister will still not go early – because it is simply not in his nature.

It is a wonderful and necessary fact of political biology that we never know when our time is up. Long after it is obvious to everyone that we are goners, we continue to believe in our “duty” to hang on, with cuticle-wrenching tenacity, to the perks and privileges of our posts.

We kid ourselves that we must stay because we would be “letting people down” or that there is a “job to be finished”. In reality, we are just terrified of the come-down...

No more outriders, no more adrenaline, no more do-or-die Dispatch Box jousts; no more staring soulfully into the camera, with the little red light on to tell him that he is now going live to every house in the country; no more feeling our pain, no more watching us watching him feel our pain.

Oh no, he thinks: he can’t face that loss. He can’t face that endocrinal cold turkey, and so he postpones...
Read the full thing here (or just read the link to get the punchline).

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:48 pm

I disagree with the argument, with the very idea, that he has an overwhelming mandate from the people, in point of fact he does not, except in the sense of an election result two and a half years ago, but that was then and this is now.
This argument has been posited by both the long Victorian streak of piss, Rees-Mogg and Johnson himself. Rees-Mogg has even described it as a transition to a more 'presidential' style of Prime minister.

This is not how our democracy works. We voted for a local candidate, not Boris. Then the winning side chooses a Prime Minister. We didn't choose him.

The idea of a presidential Prime Minister perhaps fed to him by Mogg, feeds directly into his over inflated sense of self worth and ego, no wonder the deluded idiot thinks he has reason to stay on, even in the face of revolt from his own party.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.