Boris: What next?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Little waster
After Pie

Re: Boris: What next?

Post by Little waster » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:28 pm

The important thing to keep repeating is “He got even the small calls, badly wrong”.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:43 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:23 pm
I think Andrew Morrison has resigned but can’t be sure because this is what he tweeted. God save us.

90760EBE-6371-4F1F-B60A-B4F31CA74F4D.jpeg
I should have linked to the tweet. The replies are brilliant

https://twitter.com/awmurrison/status/1 ... D5bL7Of4IA
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:07 pm

Bhatti and Gullis have also resigned.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:08 pm

A while back I posted (unless I was hallucinating) a thread asking who would be the least worst option to replace Johnson. My recollection is that it very quickly descended into "All Tories are c.nts, f.ck the lot of them", which is true, but they have a ~75 seat majority and whatever we might want to happen, the next PM *will* be a Tory.

So, who is the least worst option? I will start: Ben Wallace.

Please don't reply with a list of sh.tty things that Wallace has voted for or against - again, he's a Tory MP, we know that. We are looking for the least worst, *given that one has to be chosen*. If you object to Wallace, you have to nominate someone else. (Not Rory Stewart or Kenneth Clarke. A current sitting Tory MP.)
Something something hammer something something nail

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:10 pm

Nadine Dorries. I want them to lose the next election.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:12 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:10 pm
In a similar vain, I'm praying for Moggy.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:14 pm

Boris Johnson in a fake nose and glasses, calling himself Schmoris Schmonson.

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:14 pm

WFJ wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:12 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
He's going to be Chancellor, helping people cope with the cost of living by reducing capital gains tax to zero

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:17 pm

Beyond that I'm not getting overexcited. He's survived mass resignations before, as have Trump and Bolsonaro. Seems like a useful way of cleansing your coterie of the disloyal without the hassle of weeding them out and firing then yourself.

I'll believe it when I see it. Believing it before then seems to be falling prey to British exceptionalism.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:17 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:14 pm
WFJ wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
He's going to be Chancellor, helping people cope with the cost of living by reducing capital gains tax to zero
Pound Sterling to return to imperial measures.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:59 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:14 pm
Boris Johnson in a fake nose and glasses, calling himself Schmoris Schmonson.
With some f.cking doylen on Newsnight, happy to nod along with the pretence that Good Ol’ Schmoris is definitely not Boris even though he’s forgotten the nose and glasses this time and is reduced to conducting the entire interview from inside a pre-arranged fridge while an openly sneering JRM keeps asserting that Bonar Law spent his entire Premiership from inside a Victorian wardrobe and Disraeli masterminded the conquest of Mebeleland without ever once leaving the confines of a mahogany ottoman.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Hunting Dog
Fuzzable

Post by Hunting Dog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:06 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:17 pm
Pound Sterling to return to imperial measures.
divide value by 3.2808 - that should work :?

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:39 pm

WFJ wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I would like to nominate Chris Grayling.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:45 pm

why not EPD's fave, Liz Truss
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:55 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:45 pm
why not EPD's fave, Liz Truss
She's one of the party favourites

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/04 ... -wallaces/
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:24 pm

jdc wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:39 pm
WFJ wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Is there anything in law that says you can't lead the government from the Lords any more, or is that just one of the silly conventions that the Tories no longer think applies to them? If there isn't, Eric Pickles would be a good shout.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:57 pm

WFJ wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:24 pm
jdc wrote:
WFJ wrote:

Is there anything in law that says you can't lead the government from the Lords any more, or is that just one of the silly conventions that the Tories no longer think applies to them? If there isn't, Eric Pickles would be a good shout.
I think it's one of them things that was never written down, but everyone has accepted. Journalists would say things like "constitutional crisis" if anyone tried it.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:03 pm

monkey wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:57 pm
WFJ wrote:
jdc wrote:

I think it's one of them things that was never written down, but everyone has accepted. Journalists would say things like "constitutional crisis" if anyone tried it.
Just like the Lacelles principles, which were only ever written down in a letter to the Times written under a pseudonym.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:07 pm

Solicitor General next up with a knife.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:17 pm

monkey wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:57 pm
WFJ wrote:
jdc wrote:

Sounds like the perfect Felis mortuus.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:22 pm

The Times leader pulls no punches.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c00a ... 1b6b9bdd3e
Boris Johnson is still clinging to office in Downing Street, despite the resignations today of Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, and Sajid Javid, the health secretary. That is a mistake. He has lost the confidence of his party and the country. Just two weeks ago, the Conservatives suffered historic by-election defeats in two previously solid seats. That highlighted the depth of hostility to Mr Johnson in very different parts of the country and prompted the resignation of the party chairman. There is no conceivable chance that Mr Johnson, who failed to secure the backing of 148 MPs in a confidence vote last month, can recover his authority to provide the effective leadership that the country needs at a time of acute national crisis. Every day that he remains deepens the sense of chaos. For the good of the country, he should go.

What has brought Mr Johnson to this position is the same character flaws that have dogged his entire career: his persistent lying and flagrant disregard for the codes and conventions that necessarily underpin public life. These two failings were on display once again in his response to the latest scandal, surrounding Chris Pincher, who was forced to resign last week following accusations of sexual assault. Not only did Mr Johnson appoint a manifestly unsuitable candidate to an inappropriate job with responsibility for party welfare and discipline, but when this became apparent, his first instinct was to dissemble and then get others to speak untruths on his behalf.

The full extent of Mr Johnson’s lack of truthfulness only became apparent following the extraordinary intervention of Lord McDonald, the former head of the Foreign Office. The prime minister had first claimed that he was not aware of any allegation against Mr Pincher, then any specific allegation, then any unresolved specific allegation. Lord McDonald made clear that this was untrue and that the prime minister had been personally told of a specific allegation against Mr Pincher in 2019 which had been upheld. Mr Johnson’s less-than-convincing excuse was that he had forgotten. As with Mr Johnson’s ever-changing explanations over Downing Street parties, when he and his staff flouted their own lockdown rules, the public know when they are being taken for fools.

Mr Johnson’s serial dishonesty is utterly corrosive of effective government. His untruthful answers regarding Mr Pincher have damaged the reputations of those ministers who took to the airwaves to repeat them. They have damaged the trust between ministers that is essential to the operation of collective responsibility. Mr Johnson’s lack of truthfulness has further damaged the credibility of his civil service spokesman, just weeks after he was forced to apologise to the media for lying over the parties scandal. It is a measure of the damage to the integrity of the civil service under the weak leadership of Simon Case, the over-promoted cabinet secretary, that he remains in his job. The The truth is that no one in Britain or abroad can any longer trust a word this government says.

Nor is the prime minister’s dishonesty limited to questions of personal conduct. Mr Sunak, in his resignation letter, focused on Mr Johnson’s reluctance to tell the public hard truths about the state of the economy and level with people about the tough choices that lay ahead. As Mr Johnson’s political difficulties have intensified, so he resorts to ever more fantastical policy announcements that do not survive contact with reality. That only further undermines public confidence. This is no way to run a government. If Mr Johnson will not quit, the 1922 Committee should make clear that it will move swiftly to change the party rules to facilitate a new confidence vote. There is still time, if it moves fast, for the Conservative Party under honest, respected, responsible leadership to recover its reputation and win the next general election. Under Mr Johnson, there is no chance.

⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:38 pm

Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:00 am

Zahawi taking his chance at No11... to get his name in the history books as shortest serving chancellor?

Surely those still supporting BoJo are going to be tainted and lose their cabinet jobs when he's gone... unless they're reckoning the party simply doesn't have enough talent to replace them.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:09 am

Wow... Zahawi on Sky this morning... asked why he took the job under BoJo his answer suggested there needs to be adults left in cabinet.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:11 am

TopBadger wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:00 am
Zahawi taking his chance at No11... to get his name in the history books as shortest serving chancellor?

Surely those still supporting BoJo are going to be tainted and lose their cabinet jobs when he's gone... unless they're reckoning the party simply doesn't have enough talent to replace them.
Possibly making hay while the sun shines. Presumably having been Chancellor even for a short time gives Zahawi some cachet for extra parliamentary opportunities.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works