Nickynockynoonoo
Stargoon

Steve Bray

Post by Nickynockynoonoo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:19 pm

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Re: Steve Bray

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:54 pm

What exactly is the money for? I’m broke at the moment but would consider donating to libel action against Andrea Leadsom but I’m not sure this is a great idea.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Nickynockynoonoo
Stargoon

Post by Nickynockynoonoo » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:04 pm

I was under the impression that it was for Steve Bray's legal costs. Having watched the video again, I can't see exactly what for. No mention of legal costs on the fundraising website. Anyhoo, it's raised £211,000 so far.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:18 pm

Nickynockynoonoo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:04 pm
I was under the impression that it was for Steve Bray's legal costs. Having watched the video again, I can't see exactly what for. No mention of legal costs on the fundraising website. Anyhoo, it's raised £211,000 so far.
That's really poor. If it's not clear what the money is for it comes across as a grift. If its legal fundraising then that's especially fraught because people need to know exactly what that kind of thing involves. FWIW Andy Wightman did a very good job of this when he was being sued for defamation: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/legal-c ... ion-action he was clear what the case was about, what the risks were, what money was involved (e.g. his own legal expenses vs his potential liability to the pursuer), confirmed he would give back any money not needed, and kept people updated. Not very glamorous or exciting and people do need to grab attention if fundraising is your only option but people need to be crystal clear about what's going on.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:08 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:18 pm
Nickynockynoonoo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:04 pm
That's really poor. If it's not clear what the money is for it comes across as a grift. If its legal fundraising then that's especially fraught because people need to know exactly what that kind of thing involves. FWIW Andy Wightman did a very good job of this when he was being sued for defamation: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/legal-c ... ion-action he was clear what the case was about, what the risks were, what money was involved (e.g. his own legal expenses vs his potential liability to the pursuer), confirmed he would give back any money not needed, and kept people updated. Not very glamorous or exciting and people do need to grab attention if fundraising is your only option but people need to be crystal clear about what's going on.
That’s a lot of money for shouting facist at people and with the greatest respect to Mr Bray who I believe should be allowed to protest I think this is all going to go horribly wrong

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 pm

On the basis Bray is likely to be the legal test case for the new anti-freedom law, one none of us can afford to lose, so chucking a price of a coffee into his kitty seems a small price to pay to ensure he stands the best chance of winning it.

Money is fungible so whatever he raises ultimately funds his legal campaign even if it isn't referenced specifically

Worst case scenario is he'll spend it on a fetching range of "Stop Brexit" hats ... and the rest he'll just waste. ;)

ETA: I don't believe Bray set up that page specifically to fund his legal defence (it's already been up for a year or more) it just seemed to other people the easiest way to get the money raised while the issue was still current. We'll see how he updates it in time and whether he sets up a dedicated legal defence fund.
Last edited by Little waster on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:46 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 pm
On the basis Bray is likely to be the legal test case for the new anti-freedom law, one none of us can afford to lose, so chucking a price of a coffee into his kitty seems a small price to pay to ensure he stands the best chance of winning it.

Money is fungible so whatever he raises ultimately funds his legal campaign even if it isn't referenced specifically

Worst case scenario is he'll spend it on a fetching range of "Stop Brexit" hats ... and the rest he'll just waste. ;)

You’remissing this being used as way to discredit “paid protests” etc. James Cleverly has already started and the Mail isn’t on the case yet. I hope Steve hasn’t got any skeletons in his closet they can unfairly dig up and ruin his life with.