Who's next?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Opti
Dorkwood

Re: Who's next?

Post by Opti » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:42 pm

IvanV wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:38 pm

That was true on 23 July 2019 when ABdeP Johnson was elected leader of the English National Party, to use a more accurate designation.

In looking up that date, I was entertained to discover that when I typed "Boris Johnson" into the search box on Wikipedia, the second option offered to me was this. Unfortunately the anti-swear forum editor modifies the URL so the link doesn't work.
That's the day before we put our house on the market. What a coincidence. We'd left the UK by the end of September.
Time for a big fat one.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:48 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:51 pm

The Tories have rules on a leader winning a leadership contest not being able to be challenged again for 12 months (without half the party submitting letters of no confidence), but do they have rules about challengers winning a leadership contest not being able to be challenged within a set time frame? Because Truss wasn't the leader the MPs wanted, but if they submit those letters and Truss can't contest the election, can Boris make a comeback?
My understanding is that new leaders are not immune from NC votes... If 54 MP's hand their letter in she'll be subject to a NC vote same as anyone else. If she lost a NC vote then fresh elections would need to be held and BJ would be entitled to throw his hat back in the ring.

According to this 12 of the 54 could be in on day one and the plan to bring BJ back is already afoot.

Whether the parliamentary party go for that is another matter. All depends on the speed at which Liz inevitably sinks and when MP's start to experience buyers remorse.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:52 pm

Bad news on the rat recipe front. I keep finding pages like this one, which suggest that urban rats shouldn't be eaten for hygiene reasons. https://foodwine.com/eat-rats/

Plus:
There’s no other way to bluntly describe the smell of rat meat more than it smelling like rats. Such is because of the oil that rats naturally secrete, which can affect both the odor and taste of rat meat. Different people describe rat meat differently smell-wise. Some say it’s like urine, while others say it’s like tortilla chips.
The mind boggles.

There's some basic recipes on that page anyway, should you want/need to risk it. Strong aromatics are advised.

Most recipes I found were from parts of the world where people eat other rat species. I haven't shared them, because they call for things like mango or galangal, and if you're eating rats you probably won't have access to things like that. Hopefully Jamie Oliver or Jack Monroe can come up with some Great British Rat Recipes.

I'll do pigeons next.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:26 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:52 pm
There's some basic recipes on that page anyway, should you want/need to risk it. Strong aromatics are advised.
This is the reason why the ketchup costs more than the rat onna stick.
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I'll do pigeons next.
Just don't eat Speckled Jim, ok.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:50 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
I'll do pigeons next.
Got anything for Slugs? I've loads of fat ones in our garden...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:53 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:51 pm
The Tories have rules on a leader winning a leadership contest not being able to be challenged again for 12 months (without half the party submitting letters of no confidence), but do they have rules about challengers winning a leadership contest not being able to be challenged within a set time frame? Because Truss wasn't the leader the MPs wanted, but if they submit those letters and Truss can't contest the election, can Boris make a comeback?
The situation you mention "a [Tory] leader winning a leadership contest" cannot occur, it would seem. All leaders winning Tory leadership contests these days are new leaders. What happened when Mrs Thatcher won a leadership contest against a challenger cannot happen under today's Tory rules. I suspect what you had in mind is that a Tory leader who wins a vote of confidence cannot be subject to another vote of confidence for 12 months. We seem to be fairly sure of that, although the wording of the rule in question is not in the public domain. As for the question you ask, the answer is not in the public domain, and I don't think it has even been addressed.

What we know, from documents in the public domain, is only that a Tory leader resigning cannot take part in a leadership contest. For that is set out in Schedule 2 of the Constitution of the Conservative Party

The difficulty that we have is that the more detailed rules on no confidence votes, etc, are devised by the 1922 Committee and are not in the public domain. That secrecy is what led to a recent attempt to seek a judicial review of the Conservative Party (David Allen Green blogpost).

What we can apparently deduce, but isn't set out plainly in rules we can read, is set out in this Parliamentary research briefing. But the 1922 Committee can always change the rules.

According to that, a Tory leader who loses a no confidence vote cannot take part in a leadership contest either. So that is why neither one that resigns, nor one that loses confidence, can take part in a leadership contest and remain in post. It is also there we read that a Tory leader who wins a vote of no confidence cannot be challenged again for 12 months. That's apparently why we had the mass ministerial resignations to dislodge Johnson.

I think we just don't know the answer to the question whether the 1922 Committee would accept a no confidence vote in a new leader within 12 months of them being elected. Maybe even they don't know. Maybe their rules don't even say whether that is possible. I think if there was an attempt, they might have to make a decision as to whether they would accept it.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:02 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:50 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I'll do pigeons next.
Got anything for Slugs? I've loads of fat ones in our garden...
Get yourself a half-eaten box of Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts and pad them out with the succulent gastropods as ersatz liquorice sticks.

I doubt anyone would even notice ...
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:30 pm

There's a lot of squirrels round here. They eat nuts so they should be tasty.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:36 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:30 pm
Lovely bit of squirrel.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:42 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:36 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Lovely bit of squirrel.
And a couple of tails sewn together make a nice neck warmer. Needs must when the devil drives.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:46 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Squirrel is tasty.

It's what rabbit would be like if it was actually pleasant instead of tasting of rabbit
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:51 pm

jimbob wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:46 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Squirrel is tasty.

It's what rabbit would be like if it was actually pleasant instead of tasting of rabbit
I like rabbit.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:55 pm

Tessa K wrote:
We could repurpose the old Topic jingle"-

"What's got a nut in every bite ..."

Spoiler:
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:06 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:50 am
I originally created that gif because the vacuity is just so stark, it seemed like the bottom of the barrel in terms of conservative party talent.

I suppose I just made the whole thing inevitable. I'm so, so sorry. I didn't mean any of this.
There's always Bone and Dorries if you want to go lower.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:09 pm

FSM !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaarghhhh

Does anybody with an EU passport fancy adopting me ?? I'm reasonably house-trained.

[Really beginning to hate my Irish ancestors - two generation to early for me to qualify for an Irish passport]
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:37 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:09 pm

Does anybody with an EU passport fancy adopting me ?? I'm reasonably house-trained.

[Really beginning to hate my Irish ancestors - two generation to early for me to qualify for an Irish passport]
I have an Irish mother but haven’t got an Irish passport, yet.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:51 pm

All right !! Don't rub it in. :)
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:06 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:51 pm
All right !! Don't rub it in. :)
It’s nice to know it’s an option for me and my family
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:28 pm

Grumble wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:37 pm
Lew Dolby wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:09 pm

I have an Irish mother but haven’t got an Irish passport, yet.
I was British/Italian dual national until I was 7. Then I swapped my Italian for Australian when I was naturalized. If I'd been naturalised a bit later I could have kept my Italian as well. Moderately difficult (like very + Italian bureaucracy on top) to get it back, but it is possible. If it wasn't for the children I'd actually attempt it (they make it even harder).

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:08 pm

Patel is stepping down... won't serve under Truss... so thats a small silver lining perhaps.

No snap election... apparently.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:13 pm

It's been claimed that Boris is admired from Kiev to Carlisle.

Not Scotland though, fair enough.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:35 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:08 pm
Patel is stepping down... won't serve under Truss... so thats a small silver lining perhaps.

No snap election... apparently.
Because she doesn't want to be tainted by inevitable failure when she makes her own leadership bid?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:20 am

TimW wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:13 pm
It's been claimed that Boris is admired from Kiev to Carlisle.

Not Scotland though, fair enough.
Are you sure that Kiev isn't a typo for Keld there?

With apologies to the people of Penrith and its surroundings.

Although Google maps insists the city in Ukraine is Kyiv, so where is Kiev, anyway? Other than the freezer aisle at ASDA.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:57 am

Sir Kiev Starmer?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:52 am

Tories lose four percentage points when Truss is named as the party leader: https://twitter.com/survation/status/15 ... mEhkMF-qZg