Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: w.nking as ethnographic field method

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:20 pm

monkey wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:58 am
Statement from Manchester - clicky

The investigation is ongoing, but it seems the student was doing thing independently.
The statement includes:
The research involving participants described in the paper was conducted for his MA at a University in Berlin. There is contradictory information regarding when the period of self-immersive research activity took place.
As far as I remember, the now retracted article contained an author bio which stated that he is doing a PhD at Manchester. So at some point during the publication process he appears to have been enrolled.
The described research methodology and data collection were not submitted for University of Manchester research ethics approval. The production of the paper was not part of his supervised PhD programme of study.
Good that has been confirmed.
The student was registered for a PhD but the research design which he developed, and the methods he proposed for conducting the research for his PhD was submitted to, and rejected by, our University Research Ethics Committee (UREC) on 17 June 2022.
The rejection happened after the article was published (in May 2022 as far as I remember).

monkey
After Pie

Re: w.nking as ethnographic field method

Post by monkey » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:29 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:20 pm
monkey wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:58 am
Statement from Manchester - clicky

The investigation is ongoing, but it seems the student was doing thing independently.
The research involving participants described in the paper was conducted for his MA at a University in Berlin. There is contradictory information regarding when the period of self-immersive research activity took place.
Sorry, should have been more specific, I meant independent of Manchester Uni. I'm assuming University in Berlin will now be doing their own investigation, if they aren't already.

I am am wondering if there were problems involved with him being accepted into Manchester though. Presumably he talked about his research/studies for his Masters in the application or any interviews.