I don't see any such pretence.
well that's nice I suppose

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Re: The Queen

Post by nekomatic » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:08 pm

IvanV wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:12 am
The published complaint letters always end by saying that they are ending their subscription. I suppose it doesn't have to be true that they have one
Wait, what? Next you’ll be telling me that Private Eye correspondents may not genuinely wonder whether people with passing but comic similarities could possibly be related, or whether the Editor has a photograph suitable to illustrate their observation on how baseball cap wearing can bring two people together across age and ethnic divides!
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:52 pm

heh.

here's the imperial march played along to the stuffies in Westminster Hall, it's just right.

https://twitter.com/20thcenturymarc/sta ... 3140964358

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:50 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:33 pm
My company had two performances cancelled by the National Trust this weekend. It would have meant about £6k in lost revenue there were to cover costs of about £3.5k. Luckily the Trust have said they will cover our losses. But they made the decision unilaterally. I think it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction…
What would be their contractual basis for that? A 96-year-old woman dying is hardly force majeure.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:53 pm

IvanV wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:22 pm
TopBadger wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:40 am
Still - another bank holiday eh?
Not brilliant for everyone, and those that suffer are usually the least well off. For such is how our kick-you-while-you-are-down institutions work.

Mean employers can legally remove it from your holiday allowance. I have come across people who have suffered this, typically in minimum or near-minimum wage employment. In fact, one of them once asked me if this could be true, and that is how I found it was. They were not very happy about it, to say the least.

For part-time employees, it can be a mixed blessing. A kind employer, giving employees an extra day off, might reasonably give part-time workers a fraction of a day off, pro-rated to the proportion of full time they work. That may work either well or badly for them depending what they would normally work on a Monday.
It's not just mean/kind. For many businesses (e.g. mine) the two extra days of bank holiday this year directly result in a 1% loss of revenue. Assuming fixed costs and a typical 5% profit margin, that's profits slashed by a straight 20%.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:21 pm

The sledgehammer of conformity will cost us more than that by a county mile

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:59 pm

I'd love to see a bit of total British conformity about the Queen, just out of curiosity, for about an hour.

Annoyingly she carked it right as I was boarding my flight home after a 6hr layover in Manchester. What a wasted opportunity. Nobody really mentioned it. The main topic of conversation was this guy on his stag dressed in a (genuinely very well-done) pigeon costume. As, IMHO, is meet and right.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:26 pm

plodder wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:26 pm
please stop pretending this isn't a load of f.cking sh.t.
Some people happen to like licking the boot that's stamping on their face.

Who are we to judge them?

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:40 pm

Arrest also made for a rude sign and threatened arrest for possessing a blank one

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:43 pm

I should say, in principle I agree with these people but they are idiots for staging these protests now, when the country is literally* on a crest of Peak Queen. Give it a few months lads, for Charles to demonstrate himself woefully unequal to Liz. Then people may start listening.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:52 pm

Pressing criminal charges for peaceful protest is a tad much, even at peak Queen.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:09 pm

nekomatic wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:43 pm
I should say, in principle I agree with these people but they are idiots for staging these protests now, when the country is literally* on a crest of Peak Queen. Give it a few months lads, for Charles to demonstrate himself woefully unequal to Liz. Then people may start listening.
It isn't a protest if everyone agrees with you.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:10 pm

Met Police have issued a statement in relation to the viral video of their interaction with a member of the public.

No apology. As someone commented
I can see this being used in mitigation in court - "Your honour, the overwhelming majority of my client's interactions with the public have been positive and not a mugging..."
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:15 am

Thread on the arrests of protesters: https://twitter.com/wainwright_tom/stat ... Q6nTEbSH2w

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:32 am

I’m all for abolishing the monarchy, but protesting the mourning with rude signs is going to lead to fights and upset. Protest the coronation, not the funeral
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:31 am

bjn wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:52 pm
Pressing criminal charges for peaceful protest is a tad much, even at peak Queen.
While most people with republican views wouldn't dream of heading down to express them amongst a crowd of mourners - if the Police heavy-handedly start dragging off the people that do - then people with these views more generally might see it has their duty to start getting more vocal.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:54 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:32 am
I’m all for abolishing the monarchy, but protesting the mourning with rude signs is going to lead to fights and upset. Protest the coronation, not the funeral
Has it led to fights so far, and is nobody genuinely upset at the reverence the queen is receiving?
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:02 am

Grumble wrote:
I'm so angry about what you said that I want to punch you. Therefore you should be arrested.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:04 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:15 am
Thread on the arrests of protesters: https://twitter.com/wainwright_tom/stat ... Q6nTEbSH2w
Brief outline of breach of the peace in Scotland here https://crime.scot/breach-of-the-peace/
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:25 am

Sciolus wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:50 pm
headshot wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:33 pm
My company had two performances cancelled by the National Trust this weekend. It would have meant about £6k in lost revenue there were to cover costs of about £3.5k. Luckily the Trust have said they will cover our losses. But they made the decision unilaterally. I think it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction…
What would be their contractual basis for that? A 96-year-old woman dying is hardly force majeure.
There wasn’t one. The effectively broke contract and accepted they would have to pay the penalty for that.

Their head office took the decision because Charles is their president.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:03 am

Grumble wrote:
What's the point in a protest if it doesn't upset someone? Genuine question for the hard of thinking downtrodden proles on the board. I agree the coronation ought to be picketed but I don't understand your logic here.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:42 am

plodder wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:03 am
Grumble wrote:
What's the point in a protest if it doesn't upset someone? Genuine question for the hard of thinking downtrodden proles on the board. I agree the coronation ought to be picketed but I don't understand your logic here.
The point of a protest isn’t upsetting people, it’s advancing your cause. Upsetting people happens sometimes, but it shouldn’t be the the aim.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:43 am

Just received an email from our HR department along the lines of:-

"We have the sad duty of informing you that the Queen has died. As such we have decided to award everyone an extra day's holiday which you can take off on the 19th to remember our wonderful, gracious Queen. Alternatively if you simply don't care that poor old Queenie has died, you can come in and cover for the rest of us, you horrible brute, and have the day off at some other point. I hope it makes up for the terrible, howling void that is clearly your soul."

Needless to say I'm going in, there'll be bugger all on the telly otherwise. 8-)
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:55 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:42 am
plodder wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:03 am
Grumble wrote:
The point of a protest isn’t upsetting people, it’s advancing your cause. Upsetting people happens sometimes, but it shouldn’t be the the aim.
Not the point of a protest ffs, the point *in* a protest.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:05 am

I'm going to stick up in my window a blank A4 paper.

Will I be arrested?