Re: The Queen

Post by Grumble » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:12 am

plodder wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:55 am
Grumble wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:42 am
plodder wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:03 am

What's the point in a protest if it doesn't upset someone? Genuine question for the hard of thinking downtrodden proles on the board. I agree the coronation ought to be picketed but I don't understand your logic here.
The point of a protest isn’t upsetting people, it’s advancing your cause. Upsetting people happens sometimes, but it shouldn’t be the the aim.
Not the point of a protest ffs, the point *in* a protest.
What?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:33 am

Seems a bit pointless protesting somebody who's already dead, tbf. Whether or not you care about others' grief.

Might make more sense to protest at the recipient of the undemocratic transition of power, rather than an old lady's corpse.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 am

The word 'protest' can be both a noun and a verb.

"I protest that X will happen"
"I am joining a protest because I think X should not happen"

Use of 'of' or 'in' depends on which is being used.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:46 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:33 am
Seems a bit pointless protesting somebody who's already dead, tbf. Whether or not you care about others' grief.

Might make more sense to protest at the recipient of the undemocratic transition of power, rather than an old lady's corpse.
Yeah I'm all up for debating the overall effectiveness of protests but (and this may not have been grumbles point to be fair) I don't think 'upsetting people' on this occasion is in itself a particularly good reason to object...I know people will disagree with me on this but plenty of people are also upset about the reverence being shown to the queen as well as people who are upset that she's dead.

(Especially my grandma, a royalist, who is annoyed that all the normal TV has been cancelled)
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:54 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:12 am
plodder wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:55 am
Grumble wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:42 am

The point of a protest isn’t upsetting people, it’s advancing your cause. Upsetting people happens sometimes, but it shouldn’t be the the aim.
Not the point of a protest ffs, the point *in* a protest.
What?
No one protests in order to offend people, unless they are an edgelord netflix stand up comedian with a $60M contract. However, the point in doing a protest is ultimately that it annoys the people who have the power to change the thing you want changing, and so they change it for you, in order to stop being annoyed all the time.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:38 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:55 pm
IvanV wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:52 am
wilsontown wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:20 am
At least the next issue of Private Eye should be highly entertaining.
This week's is already out, with a Truss/Johnson joke on the cover. But I haven't received mine because the post is up the creek. Last one came a week late. Such that I sent in a crossword solution failing to realise I was already too late for it.

PE has now lost its regular(ish) Heir of Sorrows page, with its recurring joke of Charles jumping out of the bath, thinking he has just acceded. What will we get instead? William seems to be much more skilfully stage-managed than other members of the royal family, at least so far.
I think Private Eye under Ian Hislop has been a bit kinder to the Royal Family than it was under Peter Cook and Richard Ingrams. There hasn't been a new working-class nickname since Cheryl (for Diana).

They could go for an absolute corker of a cover, like they did with Diana, which got them into trouble even though it took a pop not at her but at the reaction by the crowds outside Buck House....
So Private Eye, it seems, reprinted the current issue. It no longer has the cover I saw on it on a shop shelf last week. I can't find any statement saying that they have done that. But the one I have just received, and now on their website, now shows a bland cover of Truss standing outside no 10.

The cover I saw on the shop shelf, showing Truss and Johnson commenting on flying to Balmoral in separate planes, is now reduced to a postage-stamp-sized image deep in the interior. It sits next to another cover-type bubble-photo of caber-tossing with headline "Queen misses Braemar Games", (and bubble speech "this year the tossers came to her instead"). So there is possible hint there it was printed after notice of her death or likely death. Whereas often it would have been on my doormat on Weds morning, printed before any sign of that.

There you are. Some royal self-censorship at PE, to the extent of reprinting the issue, it would appear.

Meanwhile in other PE news, no sign of a regular Truss column yet - the last Johnson Whatsapp exchange appears, and there is no Truss/Cunk column this week.

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:53 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:33 am

Who is protesting the queen? I think people are protesting against the excessive coverage / events /spending or just wanting to respond to the non-stop crap that’s getting uttered.

And since it’s the excessive coverage of the death (with no regard to the feelings of people who don’t like it), the disruption to peoples lives from events around it and the wasteful spending of public money on such events that is making people unhappy, waiting to protest the coronation doesn’t make much sense.

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:58 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:50 pm
WFJ wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:22 pm
purplehaze wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:04 pm

Liz Truss has announced it's the Carolean age in Parliament, so I reckon she did so with the blessing of King Charles III.
I would have thought the Biscuit King would have better commercial awareness.
He’s only half biscuit
So will he be banishing Nicholas Witchell to a Suffolk Ditch?
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:06 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 am
Bewildered wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:34 am
dyqik wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:14 pm

I thought it was a shadow ban, by the lizard mods, according to the secret codicils.
Hmmm… forgive me if I am wrong, but I think whether something gets you banned or not depends quite a lot on the actual content. But if you want to give me a free pass, I’ll happily write it up ;).
Well, it's extremely rare that we ban people and more likely that we tend to move or delete posts that break the rules and let the poster know.
Yes I know. I think I was using hyperbole.
discovolante wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 am
But if your post is likely to be something hinting at something similar to the French Revolution, maybe just have a look at the rules and see if there's a way you can express yourself without breaking them, and save us the trouble of having to figure it out ourselves.
Nah re-expressing wouldn’t work. By the way the point wasn’t that I/the post would get banned for being too anti-monarchy or extreme in that regard. Just that some folk would not like the things I’d be referencing in the example or my dark humour and may view it as making light of seriously bad things (whereas I’d say it’s using the existence of such horrors to contrast with how cushy they have it).

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:08 pm

jdc wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:48 pm
Bewildered wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:31 am
jdc wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:32 am

I saw another suggestion: https://twitter.com/troublepeach12/stat ... 7492378625
My favourite is from the manics: https://youtu.be/c0m6KQqnuUw

They also changed a lot and might be joining the sycophantic now, but I still think I am going to post this one on Facebook later today.
Had a quick google and first thing I found was Nicky Wire, 2021: "You see supposedly left-leaning actors and pop stars queuing up to get MBEs and OBEs - and I'd rather f**king stab my eyes out with a pencil than do that." Up there with Robert Smith's comment on honours.
Nice quote :).

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:08 pm

So many people are watching one particular flight on Flightradar24 that it's only letting registered users in. I spotted there were over 400k looking at it before it even took off.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:17 pm

On the bank holiday.

I got away lightly, with my dental checkup being cancelled so I had to shift it a month.

Hospital appointments being cancelled is another matter. And pretty difficult to avoid with bank holiday announcements at short notice.

Does it *really* need a bank holiday?
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:30 pm

jimbob wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:17 pm
On the bank holiday.

I got away lightly, with my dental checkup being cancelled so I had to shift it a month.

Hospital appointments being cancelled is another matter. And pretty difficult to avoid with bank holiday announcements at short notice.

Does it *really* need a bank holiday?
Center Parcs closing for the day seems to be causing some chaos.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:46 pm

Charles is a spoiled, stubborn, gruesome and venal old tw.t and he will absolutely be expecting us to grovel. And that's not just for this week, but for the entirety of his reign. The man is a c.nt.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:51 pm

now we're getting somewhere
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:55 pm

FcefJU-WAAEjNfo.jpeg
FcefJU-WAAEjNfo.jpeg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 630 times
From Twitter

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:56 pm

IvanV wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:38 pm
The cover I saw on the shop shelf, showing Truss and Johnson commenting on flying to Balmoral in separate planes, is now reduced to a postage-stamp-sized image deep in the interior. It sits next to another cover-type bubble-photo of caber-tossing with headline "Queen misses Braemar Games", (and bubble speech "this year the tossers came to her instead"). So there is possible hint there it was printed after notice of her death or likely death. Whereas often it would have been on my doormat on Weds morning, printed before any sign of that.

There you are. Some royal self-censorship at PE, to the extent of reprinting the issue, it would appear.
We got ours through the post on Friday morning (with the "New PM" cover), so I can only assume it was a pre-emptive change made mid-week rather than after the event.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:03 pm

Meta? I'd say so!

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:21 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:03 pm
Bad optics
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -for-queen
bl..dy hell, that's tin-eared

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:46 pm

https://twitter.com/rafayfay/status/1569745068340150273

He's not going to be very good at the job.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:15 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:46 pm
https://twitter.com/rafayfay/status/1569745068340150273

He's not going to be very good at the job.

He's making pretty obvious he doesn't want the bl..dy job.
Time for a big fat one.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:30 pm

I dunno when that was filmed, but his mother died just a few days ago. I detest him, but you've got to cut him some slack right now.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:50 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:30 pm
I dunno when that was filmed, but his mother died just a few days ago. I detest him, but you've got to cut him some slack right now.
Yes that was my thought.

The notifying of his staff of their redundancies during one of the services, however is a different matter.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:03 pm

I dunno, his bad temper is pretty legendary.

For something that must have been planned a long time ago this is all going quite shonky. A 5 mile slow-moving queue of people to see the lying in state is, I think, likely to see a fair few casualties and maybe a couple of deaths among the many elderly that are certain to be there.
It's a shambles.
Time for a big fat one.