The Queen

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Re: The Queen

Post by Martin Y » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:50 pm

My accreditation came through so now I get to spend 2 days standing next to a load of broadcasting equipment near Westminster Abbey, willing it not to break down using my magical healing influence or something.

On the upside my suit still fits. More or less. I won't be fastening the jacket. I think its last outing was Will & Kate's wedding in 2011. Not with the black tie though.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:08 pm

jdc wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:41 pm
I still think we should have Weekend at Bernies'd her and avoided all this fuss.
They've been doing that since last year. It was her dying wish for it not to be known she was dead and for her funeral to wait until after Johnson had f.cked off.

causan_dux
Sindis Poop

Post by causan_dux » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:14 pm

jdc wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:45 pm
I mean it's just so tiresome.

Please tell me we don't have to do this every time a racist parasite dies.
Next up, Davie A. who has some right dodgy views on population control and has been parasitizing the nature-documentary-voice-over gig for f.cking decades.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:17 pm

WFJ wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:08 pm
jdc wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:41 pm
I still think we should have Weekend at Bernies'd her and avoided all this fuss.
They've been doing that since last year. It was her dying wish for it not to be known she was dead and for her funeral to wait until after Johnson had f.cked off.
iwanttobelieve.jpg
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:32 am

https://twitter.com/resfoundation/statu ... UnrQz71cCA
Resolution Foundation
@resfoundation
Sunday reading from
@TorstenBell
with a COTW that shows how, while many aspects of Queen Elizabeth’s reign are being celebrated, we risk missing a big one: she oversaw the fastest economic growth of any monarch in our past, and v possibly our future too: https://resolutionfoundation.org/comment/charti
Well, I guess that is a take.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:54 am

The queen. sh.t hot at economics and the only person to be Chancellor of the Exchequer for 70 years.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:57 pm

You can't deny the facts that the UK, along with Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, and the rest, have become economic powerhouses over the last 70 years, while the rest of the world has languished far behind. Still, I heard that France may finally be able to end its post-WW2 rationing any year now. And there are rumours that people in Germany are able to buy nylon tights freely.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:13 pm

Went to a family party last night and heard a funny story.

One of my cousins is a massive royalist (and massively camp with it). While his brother ... couldn’t give a monkey’s.

On the day when she was dying, they and my aunt and uncle had organised to all go out for a family meal together (at a restaurant called The Jubilee ironically. My cousin, who had been glued to the news all afternoon, was panicking that she would die while he was troughing at the Jubilee.

They got to the venue to find there was a telly above the bar with rolling news coverage. His brother spotted a “bandit” and sloped off to put a tenner into it, leaving my cousin watching the screen.

After about 5 mins the brother was down to his last few spins, when the news flashed up that she had passed. My cousin immediately burst into tears and the barman not knowing what else to do began frantically ringing the Last Orders bell. Once he had everyone’s attention he solemnly announced that the Queen had died and into the respectful silence ... Spoiler:
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:41 pm

Little waster wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:13 pm

One of my cousins is a massive royalist (and massively camp with it). While his brother ... couldn’t give a monkey’s.

On the day when she was dying, they and my aunt and uncle had organised to all go out for a family meal together (at a restaurant called The Jubilee ironically. My cousin, who had been glued to the news all afternoon, was panicking that she would die while he was troughing at the Jubilee.

They got to the venue to find there was a telly above the bar with rolling news coverage. His brother spotted a “bandit” and sloped off to put a tenner into it, leaving my cousin watching the screen.

After about 5 mins the brother was down to his last few spins, when the news flashed up that she had passed. My cousin immediately burst into tears and the barman not knowing what else to do began frantically ringing the Last Orders bell. Once he had everyone’s attention he solemnly announced that the Queen had died and into the respectful silence ... Spoiler:
Reminds me of Charlie Brooker's story of a minute's silence for 9/11 that started while he was mid-argument with someone on the phone.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:54 pm

Any bets on what the cover of Private Eye will be?

Here's a retrospective look at 70 covers featuring our Brenda...

https://www.private-eye.co.uk/special-r ... een-covers

Will the next one feature the Truss handshake? Or the queue? Or will they dig out a photo from the archives?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:34 pm

jdc wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:41 pm
Little waster wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:13 pm

Reminds me of Charlie Brooker's story of a minute's silence for 9/11 that started while he was mid-argument with someone on the phone.
Or Stewart Lee's one about farting at a urinal.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:23 pm

Apparently there was meant to be a minute’s silence tonight at 8. I genuinely wouldn’t have known, but I got a notification at 19:45 from my phone. Why? Why did I get that?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:49 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:23 pm
Apparently there was meant to be a minute’s silence tonight at 8. I genuinely wouldn’t have known, but I got a notification at 19:45 from my phone. Why? Why did I get that?
Mrs G's Google Calendar is showing a "State Funeral" entry for tomorrow that she didn't add.
Mine isn't

Ah, it seems to be because hers has a 'show holidays' option selected - whereas mine doesn't.
Last edited by Gfamily on Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:50 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:49 pm
Grumble wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:23 pm
Mrs G's Google Calendar is showing a "State Funeral" entry for tomorrow that she didn't add.
Mine isn't
Has she got a public holiday calendar installed on her Google calendar?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:52 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:50 pm
Has she got a public holiday calendar installed on her Google calendar?
Yes, as per the late edit (above).
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:40 am

If Wikipedia is correct, it looks like Michelle O'Neill is invited to the funeral as First Minister designate, but whoever is in charge of the DUP today isn't.

Which is pretty funny however you look at it.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:13 am

Bah, it wasn't correct. That could've been fun, but I guess probably not the best idea

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:21 am

Boris Johnson still can't comb his hair even for a state funeral.

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:48 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:21 am
Boris Johnson still can't won't comb his hair even for a state funeral.
Fixed that for you.

Somewhat amusing to see all the former prime ministers having to wait near the entrance until they were all present and could walk in in chronological order together.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:53 am

So the gun carriage is being pulled by a company of sailors. What are the ones behind there for? They're attached to it but not by rigid links so can't be pushing

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:57 am

Trinucleus wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:53 am
So the gun carriage is being pulled by a company of sailors. What are the ones behind there for? They're attached to it but not by rigid links so can't be pushing
Brakes I assume.
Meta? I'd say so!

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:03 am

Yep, to hold it on downhill bits of the route. Not sure how much downhill there is between one side of Parliament Square and the other.

ETA: just caught a glimpse on french tv - gosh, what a lot of medals for people who've never been near a war !!

[ok, I know 1 or 2 have]
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:17 am

Mrs V is watching it downstairs, too much for me, even though I sometimes like a bit of marching up and down. She's keeping her eyes peeled for a friend of a friend who was obliged to attend (she's the CE of a royal charity) and has borrowed one of Mrs V's hats.

So if anyone can help by just looking out for a mid 50's blonde woman wearing a black dress and a large black hat. Thanks.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:22 am

Oh thank God it wasn't Boris doing a reading

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:38 am

Trinucleus wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:22 am
Oh thank God it wasn't Boris doing a reading
I said the same thing to the wife.

We don't half do pomp and ceremony well.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html