"Woke me when it's over."

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
username
Clardic Fug

"Woke me when it's over."

Post by username » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:14 am

Amusing quotation from a fairly new book, The Problem with Everything: My Journey Through the New Culture Wars by Meghan Daum. Interview here, sounds like an interesting read.
The half-truths, repeated, authenticated themselves.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Re: "Woke me when it's over."

Post by discovolante » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:01 am

Just to pick up on one comment in that article:
Feminism had achieved many of its goals, the passage of laws around equal pay and reproductive rights, the ability of wives to initiate divorce, and access to education for women, to name a few.
Fishnut wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:05 pm
I was listening to a podcast last night (America Dissected) that was talking about infant and maternal mortality. Apparently studies in the US have found that black women have higher rates of miscarriage and premature birth than white women. They found that those mothers who recorded incidents of racism had higher levels of stress hormones and this correlated with higher rates of problems during pregnancy. This combined with worse medical care, also due to racism, has led some parts of the US to have some of the worst infant mortality rates in the world, and is why the US life expectancy has never reached the levels seen in other westernised countries.
It was a qualified statement of course but something like 'extremely high levels of maternal mortality among part of the population' is a fairly big thing to overlook.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:50 am

Correction: infant mortality, not maternal of course, sorry.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:09 am

A review:
Observer wrote:So to recap: Millennials are doomed in their brittleness; identity politics will destroy the left; p.ssy Hats were lame; feminists say “f.ck” too much; and Meghan Daum—I’m just guessing here—is the type of liberal who would have voted for Obama a third time but maybe wants to hear what the Charles Murray crowd has to say about evolutionary psychology on some edgy podcast. The breakdown of Daum’s marriage, and her relocation to New York, forms the background to a now-familiar narrative arc: Self-proclaimed NPR liberal has her eyes opened by the “intellectual dark web”; spends a lot of time online, alone, streaming YouTube videos. There’s something low-level sad about the Come to Jesus moment she has when these new “friends” enter her life, ready to battle against what Daum smugly dubs the “wokescenti”: John McWhorter, Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, the shining stars of her beloved “Free Speech YouTube.”
It basically sound like the rants of a rich aging Gen X white woman desperately trying to show how things were better in her day.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:26 am

See this just makes me feel sad.
This is how Daum’s friend reacted, circa the mid-’90s, when she was working on Wall Street and a male colleague m.st.rbated on her desk in the middle of the night (or, in the author’s oddly delighted rendering, “liquidated his holdings all over it.”) This friend didn’t call the police, or HR; she felt bad for the creep, “spoke of him almost with an air of pity.”
It isn't "cancel culture" or being a snowflake to think that this isn't right, and to contact the police.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:44 am

Stephanie wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:26 am
See this just makes me feel sad.
This is how Daum’s friend reacted, circa the mid-’90s, when she was working on Wall Street and a male colleague m.st.rbated on her desk in the middle of the night (or, in the author’s oddly delighted rendering, “liquidated his holdings all over it.”) This friend didn’t call the police, or HR; she felt bad for the creep, “spoke of him almost with an air of pity.”
It isn't "cancel culture" or being a snowflake to think that this isn't right, and to contact the police.
That anecdote reads differently in context, and at no point is there the merest hint that the action is considered 'right'.
The half-truths, repeated, authenticated themselves.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 am

Well I can only go on the article, having not read the book...

ETA: the bit before it was:
Personal responsibility trumps victim culture, because it makes you strong: “It’s almost as if blaming myself strips the men of their power by rendering them too insignificant to even gripe about.”
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."