Italy goes full fascist

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Italy goes full fascist

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:24 pm

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a thread on this (if there is, mods please merge). Meloni seems to be an old-fashioned Catholic bigot who hates Teh Gays, consumerism, and probably the WEF and Jews too. But she doesn't seem to be a fan of Putin. What's going to happen? (And where's shpalman when you need him?)
Something something hammer something something nail

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Italy goes full fascist

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:56 pm

Man I'm just so f.cking bored of fashists.

I have fash fatigue. Why are we doing this again? It's wack.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:23 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:24 pm
I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a thread on this (if there is, mods please merge). Meloni seems to be an old-fashioned Catholic bigot who hates Teh Gays, consumerism, and probably the WEF and Jews too. But she doesn't seem to be a fan of Putin. What's going to happen? (And where's shpalman when you need him?)
Sorry, my train was late.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:26 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:23 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
ISWYDT
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:12 am

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:26 am
shpalman wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:23 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
ISWYDT
That moron Salvini was looking despondent at how badly the Lega did, but then, he'll be part of a government in which he won't even be the worst thing about it.

This is the fault of (a) Berlusconi's TV channels giving massive amounts of air time to Meloni over the past months (Berlusconi will be part of this government too), (b) those morons in 5-Star bringing down the previous government, and (c) the left not being able to even present itself as a thing. It's only now that I figure out who the leader on the left actually was supposed to be.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:55 am

The average length of a government is 20 months in Italy. The dynamics that push that are persistent economic under-performance and shaky coalitions.

You can perhaps break out of that if you can go all Viktor Orbán and do serious damage to civil society and democracy. Press freedom has already been limited in Italy with Berlusconi controlling so much of it. But Italy seems such a hard place to control that I find it hard to think it can be run with the control clamp like Hungary. Clearly it has been done in the past, as Mussolini did. But can that be replicated today?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:06 pm

FB_IMG_1664280331595.jpg
FB_IMG_1664280331595.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 852 times
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:20 pm

Im seeing a lot of twitter tw.tter in the lines if “waah waah waah the mean lefties are calling her a fascist, shes just a patriotic conservative etc..”

Since im lazy can you point me in the direction of a smoking gun or five?

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:29 pm

noggins wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:20 pm
Im seeing a lot of twitter tw.tter in the lines if “waah waah waah the mean lefties are calling her a fascist, shes just a patriotic conservative etc..”

Since im lazy can you point me in the direction of a smoking gun or five?
Wiki has a good summary in their article. Evolved from a party founded by literal fascists after WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_of_Italy
Brothers of Italy emerged from a right-wing split within Silvio Berlusconi's party, The People of Freedom (PdL), in December 2012.[18] The bulk of the party leadership (including Meloni), as well as the symbol of the movement (the tricolour flame),[19] comes from the National Alliance (AN, 1995–2009) party, which had merged into PdL in 2009.[20] AN was the heir to the Italian Social Movement (MSI, 1945–1995), a neo-fascist party founded by former members of the banned National Fascist Party (1921–1943) and the Republican Fascist Party (1943–1945).

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:12 am

Italy’s new leader Giorgia Meloni used her maiden speech to parliament to denounce fascism, and to assure allies of Italy’s commitment to the European Union.

Meloni was sworn in as Italy’s prime minister on Saturday after a right-wing coalition led by her Brothers of Italy party took 44 percent of the vote in elections last month. Meloni came under pressure in the campaign to distance her party from its origins in a group which was formed by former fascists after the war.

On Tuesday, she issued her strongest condemnation of fascism so far, saying that Mussolini’s racial laws in 1938, which led to the deportation of thousands of Jewish people to concentration camps, were “the worst moment in Italian history.” She said she “had never sympathized with anti-democratic regimes, including fascism” and would fight “every kind of racism, anti-Semitism and discrimination.”

Meloni used the speech to set out her vision of Italy’s relationship with Europe, promising allies that her government would remain within the European institutions, “because that is the place that Italy will make its voice heard loudly.”

She said that her right-wing coalition did not want “to slow down or sabotage European integration but to steer it to be more efficient in its response to crises … and to be closer to people and businesses.”

But she warned that Europe should not be “an elite club with first or second division members … or a company controlled by a board of directors who have to keep the books in order,” adding, “Those who raise questions are not enemies or heretics but pragmatists who are not afraid to say when something is not working,” she said.
https://www.politico.eu/article/italy-p ... st-speech/

We’ll see whether the policies match the rhetoric.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:24 pm

photo_2022-10-27_22-24-14.jpg
photo_2022-10-27_22-24-14.jpg (277.15 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Their first full day in charge and they can't even get this right.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:47 pm

To be fair, I suspect thyme is also subject to the global fluctuations in biofuel availability.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.