Automatic halfway release of criminals

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Automatic halfway release of criminals

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 am

This has come into the public eye a bit recently, with the terrorist murders on London Bridge.

I must admit, I'm a bit confused as to why a lot of (most?) criminals get released halfway through the sentence they get. It seems to be acknowledged by experts as a good thing, but I don't know why. Anyone?
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

JQH
After Pie

Re: Automatic halfway release of criminals

Post by JQH » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am

They're supposed to be rehabilitated and are still subject to recall for the remainder of their sentence. Of course this requires supervision which costs money ...

What is really boiling my piss is that self-regarding toss-pot Johnson blames Labour for the consequences when he and his shower of spivs have been in charge for a decade and could have changed things if they wanted - bear in mind we've had some pretty authoritarian Home Secretaries in that time. I can only assume they didn't because they regarded early release as a cheap option.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:55 am

plus the prospect of early release (under supervision), parole, whatever help make prisoner behave while inside.

Misbehave and you're in for longer. Simples.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:12 am

The Secret Barrister did a really interesting blog post on early release in the context of the London Bridge attack.

The story is quite complicated. It seems that nobody ever intended the current situation. It's the result of a series of decisions, some intended to aid rehabilitation and some to save money.

Well worth 5 minutes to have a read.
https://thesecretbarrister.com/2019/11/ ... y-release/
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:26 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:12 am
The Secret Barrister did a really interesting blog post on early release in the context of the London Bridge attack.

The story is quite complicated. It seems that nobody ever intended the current situation. It's the result of a series of decisions, some intended to aid rehabilitation and some to save money.

Was that the blog post which was so good that The Prime Minister... basically copied and pasted [it] into a thread and passed it off as his own explanation?

As the Secret Barrister put it, "weapons grade shithousery".
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:12 am

Notably, the PM's twitter feed then plagiarised it and made amendments to make it all the fault of the previous, sorry, previous by 1 or 2 government (you know, the Labour one)
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 02311.html

Happy to be ninja'd
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am

f.ck me, what a shower of c.nts. I wasn't aware of that.

I started working on a joke reply about how the Tories have moved on from cutting the justice system and started pasteing it instead, but it didn't quite work and in any case the whole thing is just hopelessly depressing, so apophasis it is.

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:01 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am

I started working on a joke reply about how the Tories have moved on from cutting the justice system and started pasteing it instead, but it didn't quite work and in any case the whole thing is just hopelessly depressing, so apophasis it is.
The thing to remember is that Labour Policy is to reverse Conservative policy, Conservative policy is to claim that Conservative policy was the fault of Labour and they will reverse it and then carry on with it once re-elected. Why bother costing up up the public services you're promising when even you don't believe it?

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:54 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
It would have worked, had it been made.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:58 am

GeenDienst wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:54 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
It would have worked, had it been made.
I guess we'll never know for sure.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 pm

P.J. Denyer wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:01 am
The thing to remember is that Labour Policy is to reverse Conservative policy, Conservative policy is to claim that Conservative policy was the fault of Labour and they will reverse it and then carry on with it once re-elected. Why bother costing up up the public services you're promising when even you don't believe it?
It's all so clear now.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:

They're all Ctrl freaks!
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:55 am
plus the prospect of early release (under supervision), parole, whatever help make prisoner behave while inside.

Misbehave and you're in for longer. Simples.
I'm going for this one. And we need loads more prison space if we start keeping 'em in, as Gauke (ex-Tory, ex-Justice Minister) has pointed out recently. GauKe has form for wanting to get rid of short custodial sentences (<6 mo) completely, as alternative use of out-of-slammer sentencing could reduce reoffending. Not that he did it.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Prison is rubbish. It doesn't rehabilitate people.

Unless there is a strong argument from a public safety perspective all prisoners should be released, especially people who are in for non-violent crimes.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Unless there is a strong argument from a public safety perspective all prisoners should be released, especially people who are in for non-violent crimes.
One or two programs in the UK penal system have been successful and reduced the costs associated with reoffending. So naturally the "law and order and saving money" party is trying to reduce their use.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
and they're A-grade finishing schools for anyone inclined to criminality.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:55 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
and they're A-grade finishing schools for anyone inclined to criminality.
Indeed,and I've been told people regularly leave with bigger issues than those they went in with, drug dependency being something many end up with (the idea being: lots of drugs make prisoners more compliant, so there's a degree of turning a blind eye by some of the staff).

If the theory of custody is incapacitation, retribution and rehabilitation it's definitely mostly failing the last, as said, and the other two are trapped in a vicious cycle by the Laura Norder acolytes. It's f.cked, basically.
The half-truths, repeated, authenticated themselves.