Throwaway society

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Grumble
Light of Blast

Throwaway society

Post by Grumble » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:44 pm

I’ve got a small cafetiere I keep at work. I think it’s sold as a 3 cup, which means it does 1 mug. Anyway, I’ve had it maybe six years and the mesh filter is starting to break up so I’m browsing the web looking for a replacement. Amazon would like me to subscribe to a regular replacement service for them, and claims the most popular interval is 4 months. What?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

TopBadger
Catbabel

Re: Throwaway society

Post by TopBadger » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:11 am

Recurring revenue... all companies are chasing it. The crazy one for me is car companies selling subscriptions to access features of the car. E.g. Unlock the drivers seat massage function for €10/month (I made that one up, wouldnt he surprised if someone is doing it though).
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:15 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:44 pm
I’ve got a small cafetiere I keep at work. I think it’s sold as a 3 cup, which means it does 1 mug. Anyway, I’ve had it maybe six years and the mesh filter is starting to break up so I’m browsing the web looking for a replacement. Amazon would like me to subscribe to a regular replacement service for them, and claims the most popular interval is 4 months. What?
You're luck, I am shortly going to have to throw ny cafetiere away because the mesh has disintegrated and being an odd size I can't replace it.
The internal diameter of the cafetiere is 80mm, so the mesh needs to be 90mm dia. 100mm is too big.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:24 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:15 am
Grumble wrote:
You're luck, I am shortly going to have to throw ny cafetiere away because the mesh has disintegrated and being an odd size I can't replace it.
The internal diameter of the cafetiere is 80mm, so the mesh needs to be 90mm dia. 100mm is too big.
What size is the mesh?
It seems relatively easy to buy mesh online, could you bodge a replacement?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252712442303
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:53 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:15 am
Grumble wrote:
I’d have thought a man with your skills could cut some mesh to size, roll the edge and drill a hole through the middle. Given the right metal working tools of course. Probably need to fit a collet in the middle too.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:32 am

TopBadger wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:11 am
Recurring revenue... all companies are chasing it. The crazy one for me is car companies selling subscriptions to access features of the car. E.g. Unlock the drivers seat massage function for €10/month (I made that one up, wouldnt he surprised if someone is doing it though).
Yeah noticed that trying to find a magnetic whiteboard to stick on the fridge. Almost all of the hits link to Amazon. Ho hum, off I go to look there and most have got this recurring order thing, that apparently you can cancel. Stuff that. I can sort of get it for consumables (whether actual food or things that get used up), but why on earth would I need to keep buying magnetic whiteboards?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:49 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:32 am
TopBadger wrote:
Yeah noticed that trying to find a magnetic whiteboard to stick on the fridge. Almost all of the hits link to Amazon. Ho hum, off I go to look there and most have got this recurring order thing, that apparently you can cancel. Stuff that. I can sort of get it for consumables (whether actual food or things that get used up), but why on earth would I need to keep buying magnetic whiteboards?
Did it suggest permanent markers as a "people who bought this also bought"? ;)

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:47 pm

TopBadger wrote:
BMW 's £15/month for heated seats isn't far off https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/07/1 ... re-of-cars
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:48 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:47 pm
TopBadger wrote:
BMW 's £15/month for heated seats isn't far off https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/07/1 ... re-of-cars
Tesla have made Bluetooth connection to their entertainment console a 'charge for' feature after the 8th year (I think)
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:33 pm

Grumble wrote:
I normally subscribe to save the money then cancel the subscription the next day
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:41 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:33 pm
Grumble wrote:
I normally subscribe to save the money then cancel the subscription the next day
Does this mean that you're throwing away the subscription? Another example of Throwaway Society!
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:07 am

I took out a printer cartridge subscription when I bought my printer, cause they push them and to be honest the price worked out as roughly 1 of each cartridge per year, which seemed reasonable, plus the added convenience of the new ones turning up automagically.

Except, in the two years I've had it I've not need to change the cartridges until now. And they haven't sent new ones, and I've had two customer service tickets open, one since August, that are being ignored.

So I'll cancel it when this month's subscription is up (otherwise they remotely cancel your printer), and try to pursue a refund lol.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:38 am

It's probably most cost efficient to buy the cheapest same-sized cafetiere and taking the mesh out of that. It seems materially wasteful, but the efficiency of mass production means that someone else can make whole cafetieres for less than the time and effort to you to craft another filter from mesh by yourself.

science_fox
Snowbonk

Post by science_fox » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:49 pm

Is somebody on a subscription model of chancellors? (is there an upgrade to PMs?) the last one didn't seem as well put together as the ones we started out with.
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Just had to buy a new rubber seal for my aeropress, as it had finally perished after 10 years.

Got a new one for 7€ plus p+p, and it was very easy to swap out - good as new!

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:40 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:11 pm
Just had to buy a new rubber seal for my aeropress, as it had finally perished after 10 years.

They changed the rubber material a few years ago (from nitrile to silicone I suspect) and - fingers crossed - the new ones seem to be long-lasting.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:41 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:40 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

They changed the rubber material a few years ago (from nitrile to silicone I suspect) and - fingers crossed - the new ones seem to be long-lasting.
Ah cool! I'll set up my recurring Amazon delivery for once a decade, then ;)

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:15 pm

:lol: We have a heavily-used shared Aeropress at work and the original rubber bung on the plunger leaked after a couple of years. New type has outlasted it.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:18 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:15 pm
:lol: We have a heavily-used shared Aeropress at work and the original rubber bung on the plunger leaked after a couple of years. New type has outlasted it.
To be fair there were a few years when it sat in a cupboard in the UK while I was gallivanting. But I've gotta say I'm impressed with the longevity.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:40 pm

Prime Ministers don't seem to last as long as they used to.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:01 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:40 pm
They just don't make them like they used to.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:39 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:40 pm
Maybe Brady forgot to cancel his recurring subscription?

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:02 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:41 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:40 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Ah cool! I'll set up my recurring Amazon delivery for once a decade, then ;)
I did wonder how you’d set it