Re: Rishi Sunak - PM

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:35 am

dyqik wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:40 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:13 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:51 pm
There's the perpetual "bring back Boris" a la Nadine Dorries's calls too, but which also seem to pop up every so often in twitter comments from a variety of people (possibly bots).
The general unhingedness of this particular fount of madness is that little more so, seeing as Fucko the Clown isn't even an MP any more.
That's not a complete barrier...
Yes, there’s nothing to stop someone who isn’t an MP from being a party leader. Nigel Farage has led several parties and he has never been elected to the UK parliament.

By convention the Prime Minister has to be an MP,* but Johnson has always been unconventional.

*Yes, some have been in the Lords, but that was a long time ago.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:03 am

The greater impediment to Johnson Redux would seem to be getting MPs to vote him onto a shortlist of two to present to the membership.

If against all the odds the great majority of MPs who were so angry with him decide to forget all that, and vote him back, I think they'll find a safe seat for him. They did that once before.

But he looks thoroughly out of it now. He is raking it in, and has bought a nice house and all that. Hard to go back to living on a PM's salary.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:09 am

IvanV wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:03 am
The greater impediment to Johnson Redux would seem to be getting MPs to vote him onto a shortlist of two to present to the membership.

If against all the odds the great majority of MPs who were so angry with him decide to forget all that, and vote him back, I think they'll find a safe seat for him. They did that once before.

But he looks thoroughly out of it now. He is raking it in, and has bought a nice house and all that. Hard to go back to living on a PM's salary.
It's not about the salary for him, it's about the status and attention, his image of himself as the new Churchill. His massive f.cking ego needs an audience.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:58 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:35 am
dyqik wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:40 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:13 pm

The general unhingedness of this particular fount of madness is that little more so, seeing as Fucko the Clown isn't even an MP any more.
That's not a complete barrier...
Yes, there’s nothing to stop someone who isn’t an MP from being a party leader. Nigel Farage has led several parties and he has never been elected to the UK parliament.

By convention the Prime Minister has to be an MP,* but Johnson has always been unconventional.

*Yes, some have been in the Lords, but that was a long time ago.
It's like the dream of Trump supporters that they could nullify elections, and electoral college votes, and instead have congressional representatives of the states vote him as being reelected.

That was more far-fetched, but still attempted.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:58 pm

Johnson can't be chosen as the Tory Leader without being an MP, it's in their rulebook. The 1922 committee can propose a change, but it has to be voted on by the membership. A rule change can also be initiated by a petition with at least 10,000 members, along with a couple of other things like the board. So while he could be given a peerage and become PM (technically), he can't be leader of the party, which would be a good sign that he doesn't command a majority in parliament.

This makes things even more complicated for any idiots who want Johnson back, or who are hoping for Farage.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:38 pm

monkey wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:58 pm
Johnson can't be chosen as the Tory Leader without being an MP, it's in their rulebook. The 1922 committee can propose a change, but it has to be voted on by the membership. A rule change can also be initiated by a petition with at least 10,000 members, along with a couple of other things like the board. So while he could be given a peerage and become PM (technically), he can't be leader of the party, which would be a good sign that he doesn't command a majority in parliament.

This makes things even more complicated for any idiots who want Johnson back, or who are hoping for Farage.
Good point.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:55 pm

It's only a convention that the PM is the party leader...

</Rudy Dorries>

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:00 pm

Been a while since we've had a fun vote in the Commons.

They've just gone off to the lobbies to vote.

Happy memories of all those Brexit votes...
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:06 pm

Hilarious that they've already split the Conservatives into rival factions, squabbling and negotiating and forming temporary alliances.

Sounds like the European Research Group has allied with the Northern Research Group, fighting
the Commons Sense Group and demanding the New Conservatives open up a second front against the Conservative Growth Group.

Even the left has nothing on the Tory PFJ vs JPF.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:27 pm

Apparently Sunak spent much time trying to persuade MPs to support him. Threats and career bribery - or am I being cynical?

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:37 pm

He might come to regret this win. Means a few more months of this stupidity.

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:51 pm

I'm struggling with the idea that there's a common sense group of Tory MPs

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:09 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:51 pm
I think they're the group equivalent of countries with 'democratic' in their name
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:35 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
My MP is one of them
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:42 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:35 pm
Trinucleus wrote:
My MP is one of them
Do MPs have to declare if they're members of these groups? Are there public lists? I seem to remember trying to find out all the members of the ERG (or whatever that group is called) and couldn't find a full list of names

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:17 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:42 pm
Grumble wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:35 pm
Trinucleus wrote:
My MP is one of them
Do MPs have to declare if they're members of these groups? Are there public lists? I seem to remember trying to find out all the members of the ERG (or whatever that group is called) and couldn't find a full list of names
No, but he was quite public about it
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:46 pm

It's the ones who aren't public that worry me. I don't know why they get to keep their membership private. Though tbh I don't understand these groups anyway. Are they a new thing or have there always been them and it's only in recent years that they've become important?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:12 am

Aren't they basically Whatsapp group chats nowadays?

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:19 am

I'm old enough to remember the fuss the tories made about Militant and entryism in the Labour party. Can't see how the ERG and the rest are any different but not a peep from the tories or their mates in the press.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:51 am

Trinucleus wrote:
There's the One Nation Conservatives and the Tory Reform Group. The latter calls themselves "the authentic and authoritative voice of moderate, liberal Conservatism throughout the Party. It is the home of the One Nation movement in Britain". So they claim to have that position. But I agree, given what the party has in general done, often with their cooperation, it is a struggle to think whether there really is much left of common sense anywhere in the party.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:54 pm

FPTP guarantees a two-party system, which means each of those parties needs to contain around 40% of political opinion. So they are broad churches and are likely to have more or less informal sub-parties within them. If we had PR, they would be actual parties forming ad-hoc coalitions rather than the permanent coalitions they are forced into here.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:38 pm

How are the Anti-Growth Coalition getting on these days? I haven't heard anything about them for a while.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:26 pm

TimW wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:38 pm
How are the Anti-Growth Coalition getting on these days? I haven't heard anything about them for a while.
Well, they are currently in office if not effectively running the country. To riff on a well known phrase that's more appropriate now than when it was coined.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:33 am

Sciolus wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:54 pm
FPTP guarantees a two-party system, which means each of those parties needs to contain around 40% of political opinion. So they are broad churches and are likely to have more or less informal sub-parties within them. If we had PR, they would be actual parties forming ad-hoc coalitions rather than the permanent coalitions they are forced into here.
Certainly, in other places in Europe the parties look like:

marxist, green, trade union based centre left, pro-business centre right, Christian based centre right, libertarian, populist, racist.

Of course each group could have more than one party.

ETA also minority nationalists in many places but it’s difficult to fit them into a left right political spectrum

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:10 am

With Benton losing the whip courtesy of a Times sting around his gambling lobbying, Sunak may have another by-election on his hands.