Rishi Sunak - PM

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
jimbob
Light of Blast

Re: Rishi Sunak - PM

Post by jimbob » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:14 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:02 pm
Anti-woke = anti LGBT, anti diversity, anti lockdown. Common sense = lack of care and respect. So, standard Tory policy then. Pandering to the far right and grumpy old white people.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... sense-tsar
I did like the observation that maybe he's trying to be seen to be pandering to them without doing anything, so giving that role to someone who probably manages to be useless even by the standards of this government.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:31 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:14 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Anti-woke = anti LGBT, anti diversity, anti lockdown. Common sense = lack of care and respect. So, standard Tory policy then. Pandering to the far right and grumpy old white people.

I did like the observation that maybe he's trying to be seen to be pandering to them without doing anything, so giving that role to someone who probably manages to be useless even by the standards of this government.
Although my thinking is that that is probably just two lots of idiocy cancelling themselves out, although I can see Sunak trying a Baldrick cunning plan.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:38 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:14 pm
Tessa K wrote:

Yeah, it's a sop. Much Like when Rees-Mogg was minister for "Brexit opportunities and government efficiency". All he got to do was complain about civil servants and leave insulting notes for people.

Esther McVey will say some horrible stuff, maybe write a report or two, but have no power to change anything.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:56 pm

I can get why you might disagree about taxation levels, spending priorities and appropriate regulations. That really is orthogonal to authoritarian c.ntery about marginal groups. For example I know a few erstwhile lefties who are anti-trans and quite socially old fashioned.

However, the Tories have demonstrated that their ideas on how to run the country have just enshitifed the place, so all they have to fall back on is the populist c.ntery. So they are doubling down on it (while given various favours to their mates). Fortunately it looks like the populism isn’t gaining much traction at all. (Well Brexit aside).

temptar
Fuzzable

Post by temptar » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:48 pm

You guys need an election.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:49 pm

You don't say.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:41 pm

temptar wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:48 pm
You guys need an election.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... dApp_Other

I need to recalibrate my cynicism because I didn't have "passing a law saying Rwanda is safe" on my list of possibilities.

I'm not sure that his "appeal to those who are wavering but want a bit less evil by appointing Cameron" plan will work.

We really need an election.

temptar
Fuzzable

Post by temptar » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:14 pm

I watched his presser. The comments on Strasbourg were not very edifying.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:33 am

temptar wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:06 pm
I just want some entertainment. UK politics is reality free.
FIFY
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:00 pm

bjn wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:56 pm
I can get why you might disagree about taxation levels, spending priorities and appropriate regulations. That really is orthogonal to authoritarian c.ntery about marginal groups. For example I know a few erstwhile lefties who are anti-trans and quite socially old fashioned.

However, the Tories have demonstrated that their ideas on how to run the country have just enshitifed the place, so all they have to fall back on is the populist c.ntery. So they are doubling down on it (while given various favours to their mates). Fortunately it looks like the populism isn’t gaining much traction at all. (Well Brexit aside).
Assuming they that have given up and expect there to be a Labour landslide then an important motivation for current performative rightwing c.ntery will be future employment opportunities for ministers. Of course there will be the traditional company directorships. But some ministers may well be angling to be paid to be a right wing c.nt in jobs like Mail or Telegraph columnist or GB News presenter.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:16 pm

He doesn't even know how to use a hammer...

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:25 pm

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:30 pm

So Immigration Minister Jenrick goes, because the small boat situation "is a national emergency". Who knew?

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:38 pm

Will we see the Tories be insane enough to go for another leader?
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:27 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:38 pm
The next GE isn't until this time next year right? They could easily go through two other leaders in that time... why limit themselves to just one?
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:43 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:27 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
The next GE isn't until this time next year right? They could easily go through two other leaders in that time... why limit themselves to just one?
It hasn't been confirmed yet. It has to be by 28 January 2025. Rumblings of May to coincide with local elections but I've also heard talk of Halloween, some time in November and "as late as possible".
it's okay to say "I don't know"

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:57 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
They don't have to. They could be insane enough to recycle one of their old leaders instead. Isn't there a Bring Back Liz movement?

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:51 pm

There's the perpetual "bring back Boris" a la Nadine Dorries's calls too, but which also seem to pop up every so often in twitter comments from a variety of people (possibly bots).

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:52 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:43 pm
TopBadger wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:27 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
It hasn't been confirmed yet. It has to be by 28 January 2025. Rumblings of May to coincide with local elections but I've also heard talk of Halloween, some time in November and "as late as possible".
I did wonder if they're trying to hold on as long as possible to allow Labour to shoot itself in the foot, as it so often does.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:54 pm

But that would be contingent on the Tories not shooting themselves in the dick first.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:08 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:54 pm
But that would be contingent on the Tories not shooting themselves in the dick first.
Again.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:13 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:51 pm
There's the perpetual "bring back Boris" a la Nadine Dorries's calls too, but which also seem to pop up every so often in twitter comments from a variety of people (possibly bots).
The general unhingedness of this particular fount of madness is that little more so, seeing as Fucko the Clown isn't even an MP any more.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:55 pm

Sunak is not alone in being simultaneously criticised from left and right both for going too far and for not going not far enough on immigration. Say hello to President Macron, who lost an immigration reform bill today, for just the same double reason.

philbo
Clardic Fug

Post by philbo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:18 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:13 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
The general unhingedness of this particular fount of madness is that little more so, seeing as Fucko the Clown isn't even an MP any more.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -plan.html

One person's dream is another's nightmare

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:40 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:13 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
That's not a complete barrier...