jimbob
Light of Blast

Re: Mastodon (not heavy metal)

Post by jimbob » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:26 pm

Millennie Al wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:03 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:13 pm
Fry is a well off celebrity. He doesn't need a presence on Twitter. It'll probably help him sell a few more books or tickets but his life won't be dramatically worse without it.
The presence of people like him on Twitter adds great value to Twitter. Anyone who says he should stay because the platform is racist or otherwise toxic is saying that racism/toxicity/whatever should be supported. The one thing that could force Twitter to reform in a particular way is people leaving due to lack of that reform.
Yup
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:21 pm
Personally I think taking public communications out of the hands of corporations and billionaires and decentralising it is a very valuable future-proofing move for social media.
Having had a bit of a play with it, I can see Mastodon ending up as the Wikipedia of social media.

The server I joined - https://qoto.org
actually has a 64k character limit rather than 500 so not so micro blogging is possible

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:37 pm

jimbob wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:29 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:21 pm
Personally I think taking public communications out of the hands of corporations and billionaires and decentralising it is a very valuable future-proofing move for social media.
Having had a bit of a play with it, I can see Mastodon ending up as the Wikipedia of social media.

The server I joined - https://qoto.org
actually has a 64k character limit rather than 500 so not so micro blogging is possible
I joined that one a few days ago, done very little yet though
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:43 pm

My MP has now started operating on Mastodon, as well as several journalists I follow.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:00 pm

I've suddenly got a whole bunch of Mastadon followers in the last few days, including a famous TV director who I don't know at all. There is a GTTO type chap who followed me and recently move to twitter and he shared his follow list with a bunch of other folks and I think they've all added me. Every 10 minutes I get a ping that I've another follower.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:09 pm

What's the etiquete on anonymity?

What I'd really like online is a place like this where I can blow off some steam in interesting conversations I care about, without my posts being easily searchable with my name on them.

I feel like anonymous accounts are taken less seriously on Twitter, but I use it very boringly.

Thinking about mirroring my professional account to a serious mastodon thingy, but also branching out into a fun semi-anonymous account on dot social. Where my fun internet at?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:17 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:09 pm

What I'd really like online is a place like this where I can blow off some steam in interesting conversations I care about, without my posts being easily searchable with my name on them.

I feel like anonymous accounts are taken less seriously on Twitter, but I use it very boringly.

Thinking about mirroring my professional account to a serious mastodon thingy, but also branching out into a fun semi-anonymous account on dot social. Where my fun internet at?
You have to have multiple accounts if you want to be on more than one server, so it's pretty easy to have multiple accounts and switch between professional and shitposter.

No one seems to mind me being anonymous, but it might depend what server you're on. They all have their own rules and whatnot.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:39 am

monkey wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:17 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:09 pm

You have to have multiple accounts if you want to be on more than one server, so it's pretty easy to have multiple accounts and switch between professional and shitposter.

No one seems to mind me being anonymous, but it might depend what server you're on. They all have their own rules and whatnot.
I recently joined a server where people are expected to state who they are when joining. It’s explained as a way to mitigate antisocial behaviour. I don’t know how widespread this is.

temptar
Fuzzable

Post by temptar » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:01 am

Introductions are common enough, yes.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:46 am

temptar wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:01 am
Introductions are common enough, yes.
I think you mean a public post. I meant that there is a private form to fill in when joining and the admins will decide whether someone can join based upon what applicant writes about themself.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:14 pm

Code: Select all

@DrBOAF@mastodon.social

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:22 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:14 pm

Code: Select all

@DrBOAF@mastodon.social
How did you track me down?

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:27 pm

So I’m seeing speculation that public broadcasters are setting up their own Mastadon servers in anticipation of further Twitter fuckery and meltdown. Which would be sweet and a perfect way for various orgs not to be beholden to a single for profit company. That would be a profoundly significant switch if the BBC, Australian ABC etc… did that. I can imagine if that did that it would be a dual feed while Twitter survives.

It is also a perfect use of the technology. Mastadon being a set of technologies anyone can use to do microblogging, not a company selling a service.

Speculation, a year from now Twitter ends up being a rump organisation with crappy Mastadon interchange.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:30 pm

bjn wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:27 pm
So I’m seeing speculation that public broadcasters are setting up their own Mastadon servers in anticipation of further Twitter fuckery and meltdown. Which would be sweet and a perfect way for various orgs not to be beholden to a single for profit company. That would be a profoundly significant switch if the BBC, Australian ABC etc… did that. I can imagine if that did that it would be a dual feed while Twitter survives.

It is also a perfect use of the technology. Mastadon being a set of technologies anyone can use to do microblogging, not a company selling a service.

Speculation, a year from now Twitter ends up being a rump organisation with crappy Mastadon interchange.
I can imagine my employer setting up an instance for its public outreach efforts. It already has its own TV channel.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:12 pm

This guy who was a mutual on Twitter seems to have had fun setting up his mastodon instance

https://circumstances.run/@mawhrin

He's obviously a more general science-fiction fan as well as an Iain M Banks fan.

The Star Trek TNG command deck photo is a thing of beauty

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:01 pm

bjn wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:27 pm

So I just found out that the European Union has its own Mastadon server. Not sure how long it’s been there. @social.network.europa.eu

The commission is @EU_Commission@social.network.europa.eu

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:05 pm

Well thanks to debirdify I've managed to find a few more people to follow. I did half think about just packing it all in and letting my now approx 22 year long online life gradually fizzle out, but well I haven't done that. I think I'm just going to try and be a lot more selective about who I follow and see how it works out.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:58 pm

@RichardLockwood@mastodon.online

If anyone cares.

I still don’t understand it, but at least I got my own name.
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:44 pm

I've followed you

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: tw.tter

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:23 pm

I just had a look at fediscience and it also requests content warnings for anything people might find upsetting.

I’d be happy if someone could recommend a server.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:25 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:19 pm

Requiring them is not a significant barrier to anything - anyone can set them to expand automatically, so that they don't exist if you don't want them to.
Thanks, I haven’t yet been able to work that out.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:28 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:25 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:19 pm

Requiring them is not a significant barrier to anything - anyone can set them to expand automatically, so that they don't exist if you don't want them to.
Thanks, I haven’t yet been able to work that out.
On the web interface, it's in the feed preferences at the top right of the feed. In Tusky it's in the appearance preferences. I can't find it in the official app though.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:31 pm

I feel the need to point out we already have a Mastodon thread :roll:

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:42 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:31 pm
All threads are one big feed now. ;)

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:44 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:31 pm
Just moved the ones that were clearly Mastodon-specific over here. If I've missed any, feel free to report, folks.