George Santos

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bolo
Dorkwood

George Santos

Post by bolo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:38 pm

How can there not be a thread on this yet? Especially since he has now been appointed to the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.

Here's a summary from the Washington Post of where things stand:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... publicans/

An excerpt:
In case you’ve been in space, it has been a month since the Times exposed details of Santos’s lies. On Thursday, Santos was denying reports that he had performed in drag in Brazil under the name Kitara Ravache. To summarize:

He didn’t attend Horace Mann School, didn’t attend Baruch College (where he also didn’t have a volleyball scholarship that required him to get two knee replacements), didn’t get an MBA from New York University, and didn’t work for Citigroup or Goldman Sachs. He didn’t own 13 rental properties or have employees who died in the Pulse nightclub shooting. His nonprofit, Friends of Pets United, did not save 2,500 dogs and cats (although it is accused of stealing $3,000 from a GoFundMe for a disabled veteran’s dying service dog). He is not a Jew, his grandparents weren’t Holocaust refugees, and they fled neither Ukraine nor Belgium. His mother wasn’t a finance executive, and she wasn’t at the World Trade Center, nor apparently even in the country, during the 9/11 attacks, which didn’t “claim” her life. His real name may or may not be George Santos, or Anthony Zabrovsky, or Anthony Devolder. He may or may not be American born, have a brain tumor, be biracial, have a husband, be a longtime “openly gay” man or have attended a “Stop the Steal” rally in a stolen Burberry scarf.

Opti
Dorkwood

Re: George Santos

Post by Opti » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:54 pm

bolo wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:38 pm
How can there not be a thread on this yet?
That excerpt only covers a fraction of it. There's a fairly long thread over on ISF forum, forum. It's very entertaining. He's almost the perfect love child of Trump and Boebert. I expect him to go far.
Time for a big fat one.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:58 pm

I got this very confused with George Soros then and was quite alarmed by this thread for a minute or two.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:14 pm

discovolante wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:58 pm
I got this very confused with George Soros then and was quite alarmed by this thread for a minute or two.
Glad it wasn't just me.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:55 pm

Opti wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:54 pm
bolo wrote:
That excerpt only covers a fraction of it. There's a fairly long thread over on ISF forum, forum. It's very entertaining. He's almost the perfect love child of Trump and Boebert. I expect him to go far.
It's become almost cliche to suggest that reality has finished off satire recently but it's got to the point I can't even tell now if that Washington Post excerpt is genuine or some very unsubtle cartoonish piss take. :shock:
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:04 am

Little waster wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:55 pm
Opti wrote:
bolo wrote:
It's become almost cliche to suggest that reality has finished off satire recently but it's got to the point I can't even tell now if that Washington Post excerpt is genuine or some very unsubtle cartoonish piss take. :shock:
I mean seriously, own up who had "Fantasist Brazilian drag queen gets elected Republican congressman under assumed identity despite embezzling money to save veteran's dying dog" on their 2022-2023 Rollover bingo card?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:19 am

You'll have read his wiki page then?
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:15 pm

I think he is some sort of performance artist out to highlight the absurdity of the Republican Party. Well I hope that anyway.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:30 pm

bjn wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:15 pm
I think he is some sort of performance artist out to highlight the absurdity of the Republican Party. Well I hope that anyway.
The last person who tried that has been a Senator for 12 years, and just got reelected...

(That's a joke. I hope.)

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:13 pm

bjn wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:15 pm
And yet ... and yet an implacable third of the US electorate look at Trump and Santos and Kavanaugh and MTG and the rest of the horrific cavalcade of c.nts and think to themselves “You know what, these are definitely the best people to be running the country I loudly but implausibly say I love. In fact I’d quite happily face jail time for beating a policeman to death with my “Blue Lives Matters” placard if it meant we could install that bloated orange pervert as Supreme Leader for life and get rid of this Marxist “democracy” nonsense once and for all.

OK you could ascribe that to tribalism and existing in an echo-chamber but worse still there’s apparently still a cohort of supposed independently-minded floating voters who haven’t drank the Kool-Aid but are still willing to put their X against these utter toxic clowns on the basis of what ... Hilary once looked a bit poorly getting out of a car?

And we have exactly the same issue in the UK. The Tories have given up even trying to hide their grift and incompetence, 13 years of misrule has left the country in ruins on every metric and yet they still poll in the 30s and all the smart money says a 2024 election could still be tight and the best Labour might reasonably expect to manage is a hung parliament.

In my most cynical moments I picture a 2024 election producing a hung parliament and the cameras in the Rose Garden capturing the historic moment when JRM and Ed Davey emerge onto the veranda to announce the “Liberal Moment” and Ed proudly looks at the Haunted Pencil and declares actually there was always barely a cigarette paper between the LDs and the ERG and how enthusiastically David Laws is looking to work with new Chancellor Truss in delivering the people’s “pro-growth” priorities while announcing Lord Boris Johnson will head up the root’n’branch reform of Parliament and the Civil Service to ensure the very highest levels of public standards and integrity. Lady Dorries appointment as Education Secretary was inevitable at this point and she is certain to deliver the same calm sensible leadership that we have all come to admire and expect of her.

I’m sure the Guardian’s editorial will warmly welcome these moves and will sternly warn Labour to think hard before ever considering appointing such a dangerous wild-eye lefty as Starmer as leader again, perhaps they should consider someone like that nice Lee Anderson, if they could persuade him to return to the fold.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:00 pm

It seems he literally stole puppies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... h-puppies/

Formerly AvP
Stargoon

Post by Formerly AvP » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:01 pm

On Thursday, Santos told Newsmax that the same night, the independent Arizona senator Kyrsten Sinema was “very polite, very kindhearted” and said: “Hang in there buddy.”

On Friday, a spokesperson for Sinema told CNN: “This is a lie.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ney-sinema
Was Allo V Psycho, but when my laptop died, I lost all the info on it...

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:29 pm

Formerly AvP wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:01 pm
On Thursday, Santos told Newsmax that the same night, the independent Arizona senator Kyrsten Sinema was “very polite, very kindhearted” and said: “Hang in there buddy.”

On Friday, a spokesperson for Sinema told CNN: “This is a lie.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ney-sinema
I'm not sure Mitt Romney should be mentioning puppies, people might remember things - wiki clicky

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:14 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQLExNOaNy0
Bill Maher explains it perfectly

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:58 pm

Randy Rainbow does a decent job too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5F7fve4N0

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Mon May 29, 2023 7:20 pm

I believe the latest is that he's working on a baker's dozen of felony indictments. Meanwhile he's adamant about running for reelection

Because MTfuckingG wasn't cartoonishly douchebaggingful enough. And trump just couldn't keep the biggest liar in the universe title forever. Tho he's not gonna like being outdone

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:40 pm

He's been expelled from the House on a 311-114 vote. And about time.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:46 pm

bolo wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:40 pm
He's been expelled from the House on a 311-114 vote. And about time.
The Republican NY contingent all voted to expel him. The Republican leadership (and a majority of Republicans) voted against expelling him. Next the Republicans are going to NYC to meet donors.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:49 pm

There were two "nay" votes from Democrats -- Bobby Scott and Nikema Williams. This article includes quotes from them explaining why. TL;DR is "due process" which IMHO is ridiculous.

Ten, five from each party, wimped out by voting "present" or simply not voting at all. Some prominent names among them, such as McCarthy and Ocasio-Cortez.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:35 pm

Boo. Why end the comedy early.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:59 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:35 pm
Boo. Why end the comedy early.
Usually the complaint is that US sitcoms are drawn out for far too long.

It's possible that this one gets picked up by an independent network next year though.

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:02 am

Little waster wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:55 pm
Opti wrote:
bolo wrote:
Sadly, it's quite real. Sadder still is that although Santos has told an above average number of blatant lies, he's only about middle of the road in his overall douche-nicity index scores. Which means he could very easily, and without regret from the repugnican voters who support him, be re-elected .

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:53 pm

He's now threatening to dish dirt on two other GOP and one Dem congressmen.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:18 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:53 pm
If he can bring down the GOP majority further, that's good.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:56 pm

dyqik wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:18 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:53 pm
If he can bring down the GOP majority further, that's good.
On the other hand, nearly everything he says is a lie.